World Badminton Championships,Hyderabad

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: World Badminton Championships,Hyderabad

Post by jaydeep »

Yeah, expected easy win for Chetan ... Kashyap also started well but Jin Chen adjusted to his game in last 2 to scored comfortable win in end ... Also our girls lost in doubles.

[R2] Aparna Balan (IND)/ Shruti Kurian (IND) l (2) Shu Cheng (CHN)/ Yunlei Zhao (CHN) 16-21 16-21
akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

chetan anand's match has started and he is tailing 6-13 in the 1st set. btw, for all those who can't watch DD Sports, the streaming site is http://fr.justin.tv/sportyindia1 (i don't think it's illegal to watch it at places where there is anyways no broadcast, e.g., outside India).
akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

oh my god, what's happening :damn: saina lost the 1st set 18-21. a bit too attacking in my opinion with a lot of UFEs and misjudgements.

works up a good lead of 7-2, but, i hope she doesn't lose it as Pettya doesn't seem to be giving up anytime soon and saina is having to slug out every pt

that's better 9-4; i think it's 11-5, good that saina is leading but the game in general seems scratchy, especially as regards to saina's confidence and consistency :roll:

good deceptive smash to make it 12-6

have seen her beaten on net exchanges atleast a couple of times now 13-8; very unusual for someone like saina who's known to be good at the net

15-9; get a couple of points but messes up a smash onto the net :damn:

17-10; saina has now started forcing Pettya to commit some errors, it's 18-11

3 UFEs in a row by saina 18-14 :damn:

oh no, it's starting to get dangerously close 18-16 :-(

at last, saina steps on the gas and takes 3 convincing points to just about clinch the 2nd set 21-18 :-) but, the game doesn't seem to be a foregone conclusion by any means :roll:

saina is all pumped up now, 3-1; a really good drop shot to make it 4-1 :-)

on a bit of a roll right now 6-2, hope it stays that way :cool:; wins one more point 7-2; wins one more but becomes over-aggressive after that smash one out and it is 8-3

gets back with two good pts, it's 10-3 :-); Pettya gets under pressure and misses an easy drop, 11-3 :cool: come on, saina, close it !!!
roach
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by roach »

13-8 good smash
roach

Post by roach »

w00t w00t !!

pretty convincing in the end
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes. Saina won convincingly in the last game 18-21 21-18 21-10 . In the last game it looked like she had raised her game. She will need to be on top of her game in QF against world no.2 Lin Wang.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

With that win, Saina is in the Quarter finals of this year's World championship. Congratulations!! Tougher match-ups from this point on.
It looks like Chetan Anand lost in Pre-Quarters.
roach

Post by roach »

disappointed with Ananads loss , its always the 2nd or 3rd round exit for our men ..& this wasnt really a tough match for him either , a wc & with crowd support behind you , feel let down by him making school by mistakes in the end .
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Saina was dominating from the start ans she was dictating the game ... But due to lapse in concentration she started to make unforced errors and that gave Petya chance to fightback in the game ... Saina was leading 18-16 but lost next 5 points to lose first game ... Second game also started same like first one, Saina was dominating her Bulgarian opponents and moving towards comfortably capturing second game but from 18-11 again due to loss of concentration she started to make unforced errors and misjudgment of line calls ... Petya won next 7 points to came near of 3 points of upset victory but Saina hold her nerves and won next 3 points to captured second game ... Third game also wasn't different from first 2 ... Saina take control of the match and lead 11-3 at side change ... But again due to lapse in concentration after side change she lost next 5 points but this time Saina didn't take long to back in match to comfortably won third game ... This match was going on for 57 minutes and Saina didn't look tired in third game.

Diju and Jwala started well and easily won first game against Polish pair ... In second game also they started positively and moving towards easy victory ... But suddenly Polish pair improved their game and our pair started to make few errors ... Both were equalled ar 18-all, Diju and Jwala won next 2 points but Polish pair saved both match points ... Indian pair managed to convert 3rd match point to scored straight games victory to moved into quarters.

At Yonex Sunrise BWF World Championships - 09, Hyderabad, India

[R3] (8) Diju Valiyaveetil (IND)/ Jwala Gutta (IND) bt (12) Robert Mateusiak (POL)/ Nadiezda Kostiuczyk (POL) 21-11 22-20

[QF] (8) Diju Valiyaveetil (IND)/ Jwala Gutta (IND) vs (2) Nova Widianto (INA)/ Liliyana Natsir (INA)
[QF] (6) Saina Nehwal (IND,6) vs (2) Lin Wang (CHN,2)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Decent performance by our pair against WR #2 Indonesian pair ... So now only Saina is keeping Indian interest alive in this ongoing World championship.

[QF] (8) Diju Valiyaveetil (IND)/ Jwala Gutta (IND) l (2) Nova Widianto (INA)/ Liliyana Natsir (INA) 16-21 14-21
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

After her recent win over Lin Wang at Indonesian Super series expections were high from Saina ... But she couldn't repeat same performance in front of home crowd ... She gave more fighting performance in second game that wasn't enough to stop Lin Wang from victory.

[QF] (6) Saina Nehwal (IND,6) l (2) Lin Wang (CHN,2) 16-21 19-21
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Saina's performance matched her ranking, although we were expecting her to go one up in front of the home crowd. She has work to do, to reach the next level before Olympics 2012. I know, it is a long way off but a gold medal there should continue to be her focus....

Despite her recent bout with chicken pox and being off the training for atleast a week or so, she has confirmed her status as a genuine world class athlete in an individual sport.... This is no mean feat. Congratulations again!!
Last edited by kujo on Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
akmohanty

Post by akmohanty »

really sad :cry: ; especially after coming back so well by taking a substantial lead in the 2nd set, i think it was 10-2 and she was leading by a point or two till 18. i guess the pressure was telling on her - she was not able to play her natural game on vital points. that said, i thought Lin Wang had a determined look on her face and you could see she had brought her game up a few notches since their last meeting to exact revenge.
sorry for you, saina, better luck next time; needless to say, we still remain proud of you :goodluck:
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Some change in tactics from Lin was attributed by Saina, as contributing to her loss today.... (that should be dabs not tabs!) :)
"She (Lin) was better prepared today. She was defending well. I made a few silly mistakes but I am happy with my performance. She played better at net and involved in more tabs and pushes which shows she was prepared," Saina said.

"I reached the pre-quarters in 2007 and this time I have reached quarters and I have beaten the top 10 players so I'm satisfied," she added.

Her coach Pullela Gopichand also lauded Saina's effort considering that she came to the event after a bout with chicken pox.

"Saina played well, may be could have played better but I feel she played with rhythm. Recovering from a chicken pox and playing so well, I couldn't have aske dfor any thing better," Gopichand said.
Dronacharya award winning P. Gopichand says "he couldn't have asked for more".
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Saina needs to convert these leads into victories. but anyway i was not expecting her to win. her poor judgement errors is the main reason for many of her defeats. She and her coach Gopichand need to find a solution quickly. Otherwise she could fall outside top 10.