Sports infrastructure in India

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

kujo
Authors
Authors

Sports infrastructure in India

Post by kujo »

Cuban delegation impressed
A four-member delegation from Cuba drew a rosy picture of Indian sports infrastructure and expressed optimism on the ability of the nation to excel at the international level.
I don't know the point of this exercise. Did we sponsor the Cubans to visit 34 cities over 40 days? Or did they do this on their own and if so, why?  And what is this rosy picture of India's sports infrastructure include?  For a country of this size, I believe, we are lagging a lot in terms of infrastructure.  I hate these self-serving (for the politicians) pats on the back which are blind to existing reality!!
Among their suggestions was the need to create a huge pool of talent for excellence in sports on the lines of the system back in Cuba. The Cuban system boasts of a perfect integration of academics and sports. The delegation highlighted the fact that in 30 years the system identified talent at the school level that fetched the country 156 medals at the Olympics.
Ahh... Cuba winnning that many medals. Does anyone know what the total count for India is?  :damn:
Last edited by kujo on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atithee

Re: Sports infrastructure in India

Post by Atithee »

I am not sure IIRC but I thought this delegation was invited (based on Mani Aiyar's quotes in a related article).