India in Winter games

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

India1989
Please enter the middle number: 1

India in Winter games

Post by India1989 »

I think it is time to make India a global sports power and for that we should give some attention to people who work hard to to represent India in winter olympics. These people don't have any financial support and nor any support from the people. Indians don't even cheer for them.

This is a site which shows an Indian qualifying for winter olympics for the 3rd time in a row. He is a luger.
http://www.rediff.com/sports/2005/feb/11keshavan.htm

This site shows the first ever Indian woman qualifying for 2006 winter olypmics. She does Alpine skiing.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_ ... 070007.htm

Two other Indians have qualified for 2006 winter olympics according to my knowledge. I will be looking for their names.

Right now 4 Indians qualified for 2006 winter olympics. woohoo This is a record. First time in all these years more then 2 person qualified from South Asia and 1 person from India. All four are Indians.
I hope the info is right. 2 is confirmed and I have to search for the rest.

Please pay some attention to winter olympics. :bounce:
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

India in Winter games

Post by Sandeep »

Yeah, Shiva Keshavan is luger. He was the lone Indian few years back who qualified for winter olympics. He is a huge talent in his sport. If I am right his father is a Malayali and mother is an Italian. He lives in Manali and that is where he developd interest in Luge. He was sent to Italy and scholarship and eversince he has been there pacticing this sport and dreaming of winning a medal for India at winter olympics. Go Shiva :goodluck:
India1989

India in Winter games

Post by India1989 »

Yeah you are right. Shiva is a luger.

There was this article which I couldn't find. Something like this was mentioned in it.

Shiva doesn't have enough funds to buy a brand new luge. So he makes his own luge out of the parts of a luge thrown in garbage by the Korean team and still he beat the Korean team. That is incredible. In Formula 1 racing people say about the pressure ont he neck but it is nothing compared to pressure on the neck while luging. I hope that the Indian government pays some attention to him and support winter sports.
India1989

4 Indians qualify for winter olympics

Post by India1989 »

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/00 ... 172166.htm

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_news/index.php ... urin-2006/

Finally after a long search I found the article which said that 4 Indians qualified for the winter olympics and Neha being the first Indian to do so.

Shiva Kesavan (Luge)
Hira Lal, Neha Ahuja (Alpine Ski)
Gurung (Cross Country Ski)

woohoo

This is a considerable achievements.

I hope people gives importance to this post. These people tries hard to make the cut and then info on these topics are not given much in websites :mad:

So it toke me a long time to do these.

I hope that some more Indians qualify.

I wish them best of luck :goodluck:
BSharma
Authors
Authors

India in Winter games

Post by BSharma »

Thanks India1989 for posting the news about some sports that are not very popular in India. I do not want you to get discouraged if the response from forum members to your posts about these sports is lukewarm. If you nurture these threads with news then people will gradually visit these threads and the popularity will increase. The thread will generate more traffic when the Winter Games will be held in 2006, but you can help prepare the forum members with the knowledge about these sports prior to that.

Thanks once again. :D
mugu
Authors
Authors

India in Winter games

Post by mugu »

If we have to make "India a global sports power", we have to think in terms of at least doubling our total individual medal output in Olympics (summer) since Indepedence over the next two Olympics and then talk about it.
amr090
Authors
Authors

India in Winter games

Post by amr090 »

JUst amazing...makes your heart go out to these people. They have more courage than most to brave a world class sport with no support, encouragement or even appreciation, all in pursuit of a dream. It must be a tough life, I wish I could do something to help these people out. I wish big businesses would set a side some kind of fund to help up and coming indian athletes.
India1989

India in Winter games

Post by India1989 »

I appreciate the encouragement BSharma.

I will keep on posting something or the other in this thread.

I think we should make India aware of all the sports and give people chance to play. If there are many sports then people will have lots of options to choose and some may like doing them and even has skills.

More funds, more sports and we shouldn't put down any sports cause all needs certain skills. We shouldn't just ignore the sport if it had racism or anything. We should forget all those things and try to prove that we are good. We have skills and money but lack attention.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

India in Winter games

Post by BSharma »

India1989,

Living in Canada, you have a better appreciation of the winter sports. You are contributing to Indian sports in your own little way, and it is little drops of water (like yours) that one day make the mighty ocean.

mugu, as usual, is correct that India will have to excel in sports for which there is some infrastructure in place, to be called a sports-power. However, it should not stop a young child in India to dream about winning the first medal in the Winter Olympics.
India1989

India in Winter games

Post by India1989 »

I live in Canada but actually I am an Indian so it is my duty to do something for India. So I plan to go back to India after I complete my education over here and work over there.
I will tell all the sports that are played in winter olympics.
mugu
Authors
Authors

India in Winter games

Post by mugu »

We do have a National Winter Games and there have already been a few international competitions held in Kashmir/UP/ HP.
mugu
Authors
Authors

India in Winter games

Post by mugu »

BSharma wrote: mugu, as usual, is correct that India will have to excel in sports for which there is some infrastructure in place, to be called a sports-power. However, it should not stop a young child in India to dream about winning the first medal in the Winter Olympics.
Surely it should not BS! Just as I dream about an Indian (male or female) winning the 100m in the Olympics. Forget that. An Indian athlete/swimmer winning an Olympic title.
India1989

India in Winter games

Post by India1989 »

Cool nice to see people having dreams.

These are all the sports which is there in winter olympics 2006.

Biathlon
Bobsleigh
Nordic combined
Curling
Freestyle skiing
Ice Hockey
Figure skating
Speed skating
Ski Jumping
Alpine Skiing
Cross-country skiing
Short track
Skeleton
Luge
Snowboard

There are other events too. Overall there are 15 sports and I think 40 or more events.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

India in Winter games

Post by BSharma »

Just as I dream about an Indian (male or female) winning the 100m in the Olympics. Forget that. An Indian athlete/swimmer winning an Olympic title.
There is a better chance (although very slim) that an Indian will win an Olympic medal in luge (singles) than in 100 meters dash or in swimming.
India1989

India in Winter games

Post by India1989 »

Don't worry one day India would be good at sports. That's what I feel. Like I dream of playing hockey or soccer for India. But too much politics is the problem why good players get sacked.
Remove the politics and corruption and you will see that where India stands. Not only in field of sports but also in other things

Actually we are going a bit off topic.