Indian Swimming Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Swimming Thread ...

Post by jayakris »

Varma wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:51 pmThe number of medals has a tale to tell :D.
Are you implying some पालक कहानी here?
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

No, I think he was just saying that if we won 47 medals, the competition must not have been that tough.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Yes, that's what I meant, Jay & Prasen.

- Varma
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Neel Roy, who is in the Indian swimming team for the Asian Games, committed to Stanford. Even if I was not biased, in more ways than one, I would have said that he made the right choice. Here's to him making great progress!
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

If his focus is on swimming, Stanford (and the Pac 12) are world class, for example, Katie Ledecky swims for Stanford. Of course, if his focus is on academics, then Stanford is also as competitive as it gets...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

His focus is on swimming. Of course, as the son of parents who are both IIT grads and IIM-A grads, he is no slouch in academics.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Interesting article about an administrative goof-up while sending timing to the Asian Games organizers.

'A national travesty': The farce behind India's swimming duck
Eight national records. Finals in 10 out of 17 events. Zero medals.

But wait. There's more to India's swimming story at this Asian Games than what meets the eye.

Turns out, the Indian swimmers' entry timings were not sent to the Asian Games organizers in time for the competition. The Result? They were placed in the slowest heats.

"It's a national travesty. That's what it is. Our swimmers were forced to swim alongside the slowest and they had no one to pace against. It severely affected our chances," he says.

Ameen vouches that the Swimming Federation of India (SFI) had sent the timings of the swimmers to the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) well in advance.

"I am absolutely certain that the Swimming Federation of India (SFI) had forwarded the entry timings but not quite certain about what happened after that," he says.
depleter

Post by depleter »

Stephanie Rice aiming to produce Olympic champion from India by 2028
Australian swimming ace Stephanie Rice is set to open the Stephanie Rice Swim Academy in India.

It’s not often that you get to train with three-time Olympic gold medallist swimmer and a five-time World record holder. But that’s soon going to be a reality as former Australian swimming ace Stephanie Rice is set to open the Stephanie Rice Swim Academy in India.

The revenue for the academy is still not finalised; she is slated to meet sponsors and partners over the next week. Through the academy, Rice hopes to see one of her Indian wards making a podium finish in the 2028 Olympics.

Is there any particular reason behind launching your academy in India?

I love the country so much. When I was swimming, I had so much support from the Indian press. When social media came in, I got so much support from India. I could not understand where this was coming from, I had never competed in India, I am neither from India nor do I have Indian heritage. After retiring, I decided to come to India and see what this is and if this is real. Then I was given the role to do the Olympic coverage for India (in 2016) and that gave me an exposure and understanding about the current level of swimming in the country and witness people like P.V. Sindhu or Dipa Karmakar breaking through.

Having done the commentary stint with Pro Kabaddi League, I had a better understanding. Living here for four-five months, watching the coaching programmes, talking to current swimmers gave me a better understanding. I could have taken my swimming academy anywhere in the world and it would do well. But I want to do it in India because I feel it’s a country I love and also it has the market where I can make biggest impact and have biggest growth. If I did it in Australia, there are so many other programmes. This is something I can give back to the sport. That feels meaningful.

What are your thoughts on Indian swimmers?

There are a lot of amazing swimmers in India right now. Unfortunately, a lot of them don’t train in India. They train in the US and Thailand. I would love to bring those athletes back home at the Stephanie Rice Swimming Academy. I would like to have them trained under high-level coaches in India. Some of them I have spoken to — through social media or seminars, they really want to understand all the components that go into high performance. Of course, a key part of it is coaching and I think I can help them with that. Also help them with nutrition and other components. I want to hit all those components in the academy and have somebody take care of all those things.

What are India’s chances?

In terms of India, I think there are a couple of athletes who will go close to the semifinals. I don’t think they will make the semis, because if you look at US, Australia, China, Japan — they all are really strong. Tokyo is going to be a harder one but by 2024, especially if you are training at my academy, I am confident of producing someone who will at least reach the final. If not the final, in the next four years, they are going to be in top eight of the world. In 2028, if we get someone on the podium, that will be a dream come true!

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/swimming ... qo5BOY8xOF
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

19 year old Srihari Nataraj twice broke his national record with timing of 54.10 and 54.06 sec to win gold in a meet in Uzbekistan but still short of Olympics A quaifying mark of 53.85 sec.

Srihari Nataraj Inches Closer to Olympic 'A' Qualification Mark in Uzbekistan

The improvement that Srihari Nataraj has shown in last 3 years is excellent. He had clocked 55.86 in last Asian games to make the final and 56.65 sec in semis. His today's timing would have got him a bronze in both Asian games and Commonwealth games.

Looks like we have one of our best talents in swimming in a while. If he can keep up this improvement and clip another couple of seconds off his timing he will be good at world level too. But, I guess the next level of improvement will be much harder.
depleter

Post by depleter »

Srihari is 20 years old actually. And he broke another national record in 50m backstroke by clocking 25.11 sec. His previous best was 25.46 which he clocked just a few months back. He would have got a bronze in asian games in 2018 with this time behind big time swimmers like Irie Ryousuke and Xu Jiayu.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

So our 6 swimmers; Sajan Prakash, Srihari Nataraj, Virdhawal Khade, Kushagra Rawat, Aryan Makhija and Advait Page; have achieved the B standard for Tokyo Olympics in their respective categories.
depleter

Post by depleter »

jaydeep wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:08 pm So our 6 swimmers; Sajan Prakash, Srihari Nataraj, Virdhawal Khade, Kushagra Rawat, Aryan Makhija and Advait Page; have achieved the B standard for Tokyo Olympics in their respective categories.
Khade already gave up last year, because the swimming pools were always the ones which were closed first and no support from the govt there. Sajan is too far and I doubt he can improve and get the A qualification time. Others are young and improving. But I doubt except Srihari anyone else can clear A standard before Tokyo.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Will those with B qualfiying standard able to go to Tokyo ?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

sameerph wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:05 pm Will those with B qualfiying standard able to go to Tokyo ?
As per rule, a 'B qualifying standard time' also known as Olympic Selection time (OST), for this timing the swimmer will receive an invitation to the event if the total available quota places are not filled up by an 'A qualifying standard time' or Olympic Qualifying time (OQT).
depleter

Post by depleter »

jaydeep wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:38 am
sameerph wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:05 pm Will those with B qualfiying standard able to go to Tokyo ?
As per rule, a 'B qualifying standard time' also known as Olympic Selection time (OST), for this timing the swimmer will receive an invitation to the event if the total available quota places are not filled up by an 'A qualifying standard time' or Olympic Qualifying time (OQT).
No, not after OQT, first OQT, then Relay members, then universal quota, if after that quota places are still available then invitation for OST