Indian Swimming Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

markjay50
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Swimming Thread ...

Post by markjay50 »

It's good thread keep it up... its nice congratiolations.....!!!!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Veer and other swimmers r preparing for qualifying for London Olympics ... They participated in at the 54th Malaysia Open Swimming Championship and performed well.

'Majja' Times - Swimming
vishyrr

Post by vishyrr »

Hi all,

I stumbled upon this portal and also the interesting thread on Indian swimming.
It appears that there is a lot of interest on what is happening back in India and some very relevant observations.
I find that a very promising name in Indian swimming has been left out.
Aaron D'Souza is a very bright prospect and if I am not wrong he has on one occasion beaten Veerdhawal.
There is not much news about him in the recent past as he appears to have shifted base from Bangalore to Florida
where he now lives and trains.
http://www.davienadadores.com/v2/index.php?itemid=273

He is being sponsored by the GoSports foundation
http://www.gosportsfoundation.in/index. ... &Itemid=34

I also see that a lot of effort has gone into digging up best indian swimming performances.
Actually the Swimming Federation of India now has a web site with well documented results and records in indian swimming.
http://swimmingfederation.in/

Hopefully this would add some fuel into the ongoing discussion. Especially the earlier thoughts on NCAA and similiar avenues for
younger Age Group swimmers could be considered. Taking up swimming as a career in India is still a long way away.
Balancing education and sports is still next to impossible. The drop of rate of very talented swimmers (by the time they reach Class 10 ) is extremely high.
A reknowned coach has commented that Indian swimmers retire at 15-16 when overseas the actual serious training begins at that age.
State of the art coaching methods and absorbing recent developments in swimming techniques need to be urgently overhauled.
Swimmers need to train with reputed coaches, with swimmers better that them and gain international exposure.
Until that happens qualifying for Olympics and aims of medals will be a long uphill road.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Thanks vishyrr for joining the discussion. Had not followed Aaron, but will do so now. Jay
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Sandeep Sejwal became the first Indian swimmer to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics on Sunday ... He clocked 1:02.62 seconds in Men's 100m Breaststroke at the FINA World Championships in Shanghai ... The Olympic invitation time was set at 1:02.92 seconds.

Virdhawal Khade finished the 50m butterfly in 24.65 seconds but failed to qualify for this event.

Now Sandeep Sejwal will try to qualify in the 50m and 200m breaststroke events for the London Olympics ... Virdhawal will now try the 50m and 100m freestyle events to make the Olympic qualification.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Virdhawal Khade joined Sandeep Sejwal to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics ... He clocked 50.34 seconds in Men's 100m Freestyle at the FINA World Championships in Shanghai ... The Olympic invitation time was set at 50.53 seconds.
suresh

Post by suresh »

I hope one of these two guys (Sandeep and Virdhawal) qualifies for the finals at the Olympics.
Suresh
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Suresh, truthfully no chance for them to qualify for the final at London Olympics ... Both need to reduce more than a second of their respective best timings in 100m Freestyle and 100m Breaststroke to qualify for the final.

From 2010 both r looking stagnant and no improvement in their timings ... If we check their best timing then all were clocked in 2008-2009.

Virdhawal Khade profile

Sandeep Sejwal profile
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

With some blessings from a spinach producing Ukrainian Pundit Maharaj, maybe!
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Agree that they will need some spinach to make the finals in the Olympics. A more realistic stretch goal for them would be to qualify for the semifinals.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

jaydeep wrote:Suresh, truthfully no chance for them to qualify for the final at London Olympics ... Both need to reduce more than a second of their respective best timings in 100m Freestyle and 100m Breaststroke to qualify for the final.

From 2010 both r looking stagnant and no improvement in their timings ... If we check their best timing then all were clocked in 2008-2009.

Virdhawal Khade profile

Sandeep Sejwal profile
I think some of that might have been due to a particular type of swimsuit which was allowed then but was subsequently banned. I do think though they have stagnated at that level.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Several swimmers dramatically improved their performances in that timeframe, and several world records were set, thanks to the use of the full body polyurethane suit. The suit was subsequently banned (partly because some of the swimmers like Phelps refused to wear it). Now, suits must be made of fabric only, and men's suits have to run only from the waist to the knee. Strangely FINA has not rescinded the massive number of world records that were set with the polyurethane suits.

Note that I don't know if either Khade or Sejwal was wearing that suit. But it would easily explain a large increase in performance.

By the way, I believe it would hard to produce even an overt spinach regimen that could improve a sprint (<= 200 M) swimmer by a whole second.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Prashant wrote:Note that I don't know if either Khade or Sejwal was wearing that suit. But it would easily explain a large increase in performance.

By the way, I believe it would hard to produce even an overt spinach regimen that could improve a sprint (<= 200 M) swimmer by a whole second.
Prashant, u r right that it is not possible to improve timing by a whole second in sprint events after over use of so called spinach.

Also Veer and Sandeep were using the polyurethane suits in 2009-10 ... Veer was the first Indian swimmer to use it.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

jaydeep wrote:
Prashant wrote:Note that I don't know if either Khade or Sejwal was wearing that suit. But it would easily explain a large increase in performance.

Prashant, u r right that it is not possible to improve timing by a whole second in sprint events after over use of so called spinach.

Also Veer and Sandeep were using the polyurethane suits in 2009-10 ... Veer was the first Indian swimmer to use it.
I am not sure that this is accurate. The East German women in 80s and the Chinese women in 90s were confirmed as spinach users and I am pretty sure their timing deltas (both before and after) were more than 1 sec for the 100 meter events although I have not confirmed with any research. :D
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

I'm not sure that in either of those cases we ever saw a pre-drug performance. Certainly in case of the East Germans, they did not compete until several years into a regimen. Not as sure about the Chinese - their track athletes did improve dramatically with a drug regimen.