Indian coaches and coaching standard in India

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

I will not be surprised if Bobby is the most knowledgeable long jump coach in India. He has seen the top long jumpers closely and is aware of the modern training methods.

What Bobby is trying to do is to be the long jump coach, psychologist, strength coach, speed coach, nutritionist, physiologist, etc for his wife Anju.

Most top athletic training institutions would have all these people, and I am sure the top long jump coaches in the world do not get very involved in other aspects like nutrition and diet, mental toughness, development of muscles for maximal efficiency, etc.

Some of us who want the best for Anju and Bobby are wondering if Bobby needs help in those areas that would not usually be the forte of long jump coaches.
bobbyaloysius

Post by bobbyaloysius »

I really wanted to comment on this subject, both about robert bobby and Indian coaching system. But I am undecided yet as I am afraid my views may be misunderstood.
david

Post by david »

Bobby,
This is a public forum and I am sure your views will be dissected. So be careful.
But I am sure you can make comments on the Indian system (or the lack of it) and I would suggest (IMHO) you NOT to write on sensitive athletes who are your good freinds.
david

Pyschologist is a must for Indian athletes

Post by david »

I am sure the top long jump coaches in the world do not get very involved in other aspects like nutrition and diet, mental toughness, development of muscles for maximal efficiency, etc.
Anju was ``swalloing'' before she began her third jump. This is a sure sign of fear and lack of confidence. She was looking at Bobby in the stands with that lost looks. Surely a psychologist can explain these things.

Bobby George needs support staff. Hope he realises it soon.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Bingo David!! You hit the head on the nail!!! I think she is reaching her prime and Bobby has to ensure that "They do not look back in regret" few years from now
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Anju was ``swalloing'' before she began her third jump. This is a sure sign of fear and lack of confidence. She was looking at Bobby in the stands with that lost looks. Surely a psychologist can explain these things.

David, I think Bobby G would have been the best person to calm Anju at that stage because he knows her best. Psychologists are very important but their role is during the training sessions.

Swallowing hard, deep breathing, sweating, pallor of the skin, muscle tightness, etc are all signs of nervousness. It happens to many people before athletic events, during examinations in academics, etc. The coach, parent. spouse, or someone really close is usually the best person to calm the athlete.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Ohio State University was perhaps the first college in USA to realize the importance of a full time Sports Psychologist for its athletics teams. Other universities followed the lead shown by Ohio State University. The University of Oklahoma also has a full time sports psychologist for the athletes and coaches. This lady spends time with all the athletes and coaches, and these people have realized how useful she is to the program. Until she came on board at the University of Oklahoma, athletes were referred to the psychologists affiliated with the university but having her office in the athletics department have made it easier for the athletes and coaches to seek her help. Stress is more common in athletes than in non-athletes, and sports psychologists can help improve the performance of the elite athletes.

Indian athletes deserve to have access to sports psychologists.