What is wrong with Indian sports & how to improve it

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: What is wrong with Indian sports & how to improve it

Post by prasen9 »

There was some talk about fencing and centres in India. Here is some information about what is being done in that sport: Democratisation of fencing in India. I am using this thread because it seems more appropriate than to tag things along in the Tokyo Olympics post.

Maybe if a kind moderator sees discussion in some other forum which really is about us improving in sports, please move it here. This should be a long thread because we have discussed these issues across the board but they are lost in different other threads.

I know everyone is busy. Just a kind request. If not, that is fine.

[Thanks for the suggestion, Prasen. Moved the fencing posts from the Tokyo Olympics board to here (above and below)... Will see if there are others that can come here... Mod, Jay]
Orang

Re: Tokyo Olympics 2020

Post by Orang »

jayakris wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:36 pm But Chennai has had some kind of an academy. Here is an article that was in The Hindu this week - Fencing in Madras: An ’80s movement that remains strong, thanks to Bhavani Devi’s Olympic debut
Thanks jayakris! Very interesting.
suresh

Re: Tokyo Olympics 2020

Post by suresh »

There are lots of sports that gain from the passion of a single individual. Quite often, these initiatives do not progress beyond that and that ends the story. Let us hope that Bhavani's qualification to the Olympics makes Fencing more popular and more importantly, more widespread geographically (i.e., it goes beyond Chennai).