Indian Shooting thread

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Shooting thread

Post by sameerph »

Yes, that was disappointing. In mixed team, he faltered less compared to his partner Manu Bhaker but in individual finals it was him. But, Saurabh is only 19 and is the best shooter we have by a long margin. So, we can only hope that he comes back stronger at next Olympics and more.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

I wonder if the temp mixed team failure in the finals played on his mind even though he had a top 3 score among men in the mixed team final. Glad to see he is back to winning....
srini

Post by srini »

India gets a team bronze in Men's Trap in ISSF shotgun worldcup at Lima,Peru. Rajyavardhan Rathore's son Manavaditya seems to be competing in Seniors now. He is in the team along with Kynan and Shapath.

https://newsable.asianetnews.com/sports ... ayh-r9uz9x
srini

Post by srini »

Our shooting stars are back to their glory in ISSF worldcups..At Baku,Azerbaijan the womens team for 10 m air rifle - Elavanil,Shreya, Rami got Gold. I don't see China in medal table yet, difficult to imagine the nation that topped Olympics shooting medal table without medal if they are participating here really! Does anyone know if they are competing here??
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

These results are only important for Indian media to lap it up and for athletes to get money from clueless corporates and government. I can't really hate it even though I think it is undeserving.

:Offtopic: read an interview recently with Hima Das where the stupid journalist is asking her about which of the 3 golds in 2019 were her favourite (these were the 3 medals she won in some small international meets in 2019) and then how she is on track to see Indian flag raised at the Olympics :puke:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

srini wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:33 am Our shooting stars are back to their glory in ISSF worldcups..At Baku,Azerbaijan the womens team for 10 m air rifle - Elavanil,Shreya, Rami got Gold. I don't see China in medal table yet, difficult to imagine the nation that topped Olympics shooting medal table without medal if they are participating here really! Does anyone know if they are competing here??
No. China is not competing here. The Chinese players in all sports are still not competing as usual pre-covid times.

We are also taking a little lightly at world cups this year in shooting. We did not send a team in last world cup and have only sent a rifle team in this world cup. There is a general feeling in shooting fraternity that they competed in too many world cups prior to Tokyo and peaked too early.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I still think they should compete in all the world cups and if required send our next-gen or B-team or so to give experience and exposure to a set of people to build depth. Or those that need mental strengthening, send them to more tournaments so that they get used to it a bit more. For old hands, yes, selective participation will be good. If you have good planning, you should not be peaking too early. And, what is peaking anyway in shooting? They cannot concentrate for 4-5 tournaments a year?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I’d much rather compete in these world cups and take a chance than lay an egg, as is our wont, by showing up cold resting on laurels and wins in some staged selection trials or watered down regional/global meets.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I too agree. If they want they can send different players for each world cup, they have that much depth at national level but to skip altogether does not make much sense.

Swapnil Kusale wins silver in mens 50M rifle 3 positions. I value this medal more than the team medal earlier, team events are not part of Olympics.
srini

Post by srini »

In went largely unnoticed on this forum that it's medals raining as usual for our shooters in ISSF world cup at Changwon, Korea with 10 medals consisting of 4 Gold,4 Silver and 2 Bronze they leave 2nd placed Korea with 4 medals far behind. Competition will continue until 21st July.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Many of these medals are from team events which are not in olympics. If we focus on medals in olympic events, there have been 3 medals so far all in rifle events which is good considering that we have done badly in rifle events since just before Tokyo olympics.

There were 2 golds in men- 21 year old Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar in 50M rifle 3 positions and 23 year old Arjun Babuta in 10M air rifle. Bronze for veteran Anjum Modugil in Womens 50M rifle 3 positions.

Disappointment in pistol events so far where we have been so good in last couple of years. Best has been Manu Bhakar with 4th place in Womens 25M Pistol.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

In Korea world cup, veteran Mairaj Ahmed Khan won gold in mens skeet today in a strong field. Third individual gold for us in an olympic event.
srini

Post by srini »

Paris'24 Olympics qualification cycle for shooting starts with World Championships in Cairo, Oct 12th-25th.A total of 16 quotas will be awarded with 4 quotas in each of the 4 rifle/pistol events with a cap on max 1 per NOC.

NRAI has announced the list of athletes and notable exclusions are the likes of Saurabh Verma in pistol and Apruvi in Rifle. One can applaud NRAI for being impartial, sticking to its qualification criteria in Trials and not to name and fame from past, but there must be something wrong with their way of announcing Olympics selection too early ahead of the actual event.(Their reasoning being it gives the athletes enough time to concentrate and prepare for the main event which is Olympics. But as we have seen this logic has come to cropper twice in the last 2 Olympics held. Keeping the athletes edgy until the last mile (why not see it as part of preparation?) may be what's really needed in sports like archery and shooting. I just hope NRAI refines its qualification criteria at least for the Olympics if not for the other qualification events. For me NRAI seems to be able to increase quota places in every olympics but failing to convert them into medals. Hopefully law of averages catches up quickly in next edition and in a sense break the glass ceiling by having a multi medalist!

Couple of links about selections
Qualified athletes
How Saurabh missed out
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I think this time they have done right thing by going with current form just a couple of months before the event. At the time of last olympics, they had made the selection about 6 months earlier which is too early.

Not a good sign that Saurabh is faring badly this year.Hope he does not go Jitu Rai way and bounces back before Paris Olympics.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The right formula will be a combination of historical results with more weight being given to current results. I wonder if an exponentially decaying function will do well. I do not think just having one trials is going to be good either just as going by just six months old results is not good enough. We have enough people who could devise some function that weighs past performance. Trials are not a good way because whoever has one fluke result can get in but not be able to repeat the fluke.