Indian Shooting thread

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

ankit1407
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Shooters thread

Post by ankit1407 »

And he gets us our first ever Skeet medal at this level by clinching a Silver medal.... :bounce: :bounce:

Good Luck for the Olympic and hoping for a medal ...
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Brilliant performance by Mairaj Ahmad Khan to come up with a medal in a event which would have been least expected at the start of this world cup. This was much the same way that he had earned a surprise quota for Rio a few month back. With this, he has firmly put his ring as a possible medallist at Rio Olympics.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Rifle and pistol world cup started yesterday at Munich, Germany.

Yesterday, in mens and womens rifle, Abhinav Bindra, Pooja Ghatakar and Ayonila Paul missed making the final by a few spots. But, today Jitu Rai made the final in 50M pistol event. However, in the just conluded final he finished 4th just outside the medal bracket. Still great consistency shown by Jitu making third consecutive final in this event in 3 world cup finals this year. He won the gold in the first world cup, 6th in the second world cup and 4th here. He is the only Indian shooter who is consistently staying inside or close to medal bracket in these world class events.

Anisa Sayed has also made the final in womens 25m pistol event which will come up later.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Anisa Sayyed finished on 6th position.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Abhinav Bindra declared that he will bring the curtains down on his career at the upcoming Rio Games where he will be the country's flagbearer in the opening ceremony.
"As my sporting career which lasted 20 years draws to a close on the 8th of August, this is indeed special," Bindra wrote on his twitter handle.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Deserving honour for him. It will be great if he can end his career with another medal. Brilliant if it will be another yellow metal. :D
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Today last of the world cups before Rio olympics started in Baku, Azerbeijan.

No medals for us today but after a long time both Abhinav Bindra and Gagan Narang reached the final in 10 M air rifle. They did not do as well in the final finishing 6th and 7th but still our stalwarts getting back to form at the right time is good news for Rio.

Similarly, Kynan Chenai shot a brilliant 123 of 125 to finish at the top in mens trap qualifiers. Again he faltered in the final and finished 6th. But, good to see another one of our Rio bound shooters showing that he can be among top too.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yesterday, in womens 10M Air rifle, Pooja Ghatkar (who is not among our 2 chosen athletes for this event at Rio) reached the final and missed the bronze by a wisker finishing 4th.

Today, our first medal of this world cup came from Jitu Rai in mens 10M air pistol event when he won a silver. He shot a 580 in qualfication and was sixth but shot an excellent 199.5 to win the silver behind a Brazilian.

Overall, seventh world cup medal for him. This guy is clearly our most consistent shooter and I think our best prospect for a medal in Rio across all sports.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

We got our second medal in the Baku world cup when Sanjeev Rajput won a silver in mens 50M rifle 3 positions event. So, this wold cup ended up with 2 silver medal for us and 7 other finalists ( Gagan- in 2 events, Abhinav, Heena Siddhu in 25M pistol, Kynan Chenai in trap, Man Singh in skeet and Pooja Ghatkar in 10M air rifle).

Interestingly, 3 of our 9 finalists ( Sanjeev, Pooja and Man Singh) are not even part of our Rio team. This shows the depth our shooting.

Still, a bit worried about the form of Apurvi Chandela, Chain Singh and Gurpreet Singh all part of Rio team- and all capable of winning a medal in a world class field. If they can get back to form, then we have 10-11 serious medal chances in shooting in Rio and hope to get at least 3 of them to fire on a given day in Rio.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Sorry of I noticed it late but rajyavardhan rathore is a minister in modi cabinet
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Of course, he has been minister for some time. I think I had also put it in the forum at that time.

I wish he would have been sports minister instead though.

Unfortunately, my optimism on 3 shooting medals in the post above yours has come totally unstuck and for the first time after 3 Olympics we came back empty handed in shooting. I hope this is a temporary blip.

NRAI are saying that a committee is to be formed for investigating the reasons for failure immediately and it will be headed by Abhinav Bindra. No better person to do that.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is an article by Ronak Pandit , coach and husband of Heena Siddhu who was also our team manager it seems.

Pressure would have helped shooters in Rio

Interestingly, what he seems to be saying is the shooters got the best possible preparation and that seemed to have affected the performances. In other words, giving them a lot more money on training might have actually made them complacent. :-~
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Very interesting article, Sameer. I like the shooters who are largely straight-forward in how they talk. I am glad that he brought up this issue of good preparation and results beforehand that made them over-confident and a little less "wound-up" at the end. I had wondered about precisely that, but didn't comment, as I'm no an expert in shooting to say if that was a possibility. I did feel it was a problem in other events.

To some extent, shooting seems to have gone through precisely the issue I mentioned in the Olympic thread, that the blip in our performance was possibly due to the adjustment period Indian sports is going through. Maybe a specific angle of it, as it related to athletes rather than sports management. In the past, our athletes were clearly in a fighting mode, knowing that the government and the system (read, basically lack of money) had put us behind the 8-ball to start with. It was a bit more of "us against the world" because we had never felt we had reached anywhere near the world standards. This time, there wasn't as much competition for support and money, and people didn't have to fight as much to ensure their places in Olympics or to get the coaches and support they needed. So they all felt that they were like the US contingent, ready to go and win medals with their basic talent/abilities, in a level playing field. The fact that the final push with determination/focus still had to come from within, must have hit them as a bit of a surprise. Quite a few of our athletes were ranked in the top-3 and had picked up that kind of results beforehand, and they felt that was enough. But Olympics is an entirely different ball game. That, I feel, is what made, for instance, Sania become over-confident and hit three extra moon-balls at Venus Williams (the turning point of the SF, in my opinion) and turn the match around to a losing proposition, while Venus knew that all the name, ranking and preparation was to come to nothing unless she stayed focused and hit the felt off the ball back at Sania. She was in the "I am the underdog, and I'm not gong to let this world #1 toy with me" mode. I saw that in her eyes, and I knew the match was over (I pretty much said it in my match update). The same issue might have affected, say, a Jitu Rai. "Other Indians have done it, and I have done it elsewhere too, so I should stay calm and just hit these final shots". Heck, he had done it just then, with that massive comeback to make the final, so that kind of relaxed feeling is possible. The idea of still conjuring up a feeling of "I m the underdog here, and I should fight these guys off", and keeping it to stay wound-up all the way, takes some work. Indians aren't used to it. We were always the underdogs, but this time in a few cases we weren't. In almost all those cases, we failed.

So, there is indeed a fine point in what Ronak Pandit said. We will get adjusted in the next couple of Olympics and will certainly do better, I am sure. But the point he made should be appreciated and analyzed carefully.

[Now, nothing explains to me what our Archers' problems are. Both at London, and at Rio. They just don't seem to improve at Olympics!]
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote: The same issue might have affected, say, a Jitu Rai. "Other Indians have done it, and I have done it elsewhere too, so I should stay calm and just hit these final shots". Heck, he had done it just then, with that massive comeback to make the final, so that kind of relaxed feeling is possible.
True, the variance in Jitu Rai's last shots in 2 events was amazing. In 10M, he needed 7 perfect 10's on the last 7 shots and he did it to make the final. In 50M, he was comfortably lying 4th with 4 shots to go and he hit 7 and 8. Really shows how someone does better while in dire straits than when one is comfortable.

And he had done this before and won medals in Asiad, CWG, World championships, numerous world cups in last 2 years but missed out in olympics which is a different cup of tea as you say.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »