Indian Shooting thread

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Indian Shooters thread

Post by PKBasu »

Actually, Jay, this is something that rediff does quite often -- and I think is a pretty good way to add a "human interest" element to a newly-famous person. They did the same thing with Manmohan Singh, and quite a lot of interesting stuff appeared.
It appears that Maj. Rathore graduated near the top (if not the top) of his class at IMA, and did well at the NDA (Khadakvasla) too. I wonder where he went to school: no mention of that so far, but he seems to have been an army man through and through, although he has sacrificed his army career somewhat to pursue his sporting dream.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Indian Shooters thread

Post by jayakris »

I know .. Now that you say it, I remember that Manmohan Singh thing too. A new genre in interactive media, I think.

I like to take digs at rediff, but that is generally a news source that I like much more than most newspapers. Certainly the least biased and fearless news site. Which national newspaper would let Rajeev Srinivasan and Arvind Lavakkare write some truths which are no-no topics for our wimpy print press.

Rediff is normally on the ball..

Jay
Red_Indian

Indian Shooters thread

Post by Red_Indian »

PKBasu wrote:we host the Olympics in 2016.
!!!
Come on PKB! This one is way too optimistic - even for your oh-so-optimistic self ;)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Indian Shooters thread

Post by jayakris »

No, not really, R_I. We have a good chance to host it in 2016. I will be absolutely shocked if we don't do at least 2020, but most probably we will do 2016. Need a much better show (10-15 medals and a top-15 finish) in 2008 for that to happen. I think we will do it.

Jay
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Indian Shooters thread

Post by BSharma »

Jay,
I have to agree with Red_Indian on this one. India does not have a realistic chance of hosting the Olympics until 2020 at the earliest. The countries who will lose out of the 2012 Games will be the favorites to host the 2016 Games. Paris is the one likely to get the 2012 OLympics and England, Russia, USA (New York), etc will try to win the 2016 bid. People will wait until India successfully hosts the 2010 Commionwealth Games before voting for India's bid for the Olympics, and the Commonwealth Games come a little late for the 2016 bid. India will put its name for the 2016 Games but will end up getting to host the Olympics by 2020 or later. Besides, India will have to show medal winning capabilities at the 2008 and 2012 Games also. This is where India will have to redouble its efforts to plan properly for the next two Olympics. The nucleus of medal winners in 2008 are already in Athens, and if India can do all the right things over the next 4 to 8 years, many Olympic medals will follow.
Red_Indian

Indian Shooters thread

Post by Red_Indian »

You've made my point competely there BSharma - for India to get a chance at hosting the Olympics we'll have to prove to the world that we can handle the Commonwealth games. Even if we do a good job of it (which I doubt) that will be too late for the 2016 bid and hence we come to 2020 - and who knows they might decide to give the games to Africa or someone then - as in anything can change.

All that is besides the point that I wish we did not waste our time and money hosting these games and instead spend it on developing players - sponsor guys like Harsh, Sania, Binu so that they become world class players. The stadia they develop will be used once - for Commonwealth/ Olympics - and then left to rot because they'll be no atheletes/ meets worth anything using them. Have a look at the facilities in Delhi which were created for the Asiad...
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Indian Shooters thread

Post by BSharma »

India has announced a 38-member team to defend the team title in the 6th Commonwealth Shooting Federation Championship at Melbourne from 9 - 19, March 2005.

A separate squad of 20 shooters was also announced that will take part in the ISSF World Cup, to be held at Changwon in South Korea from April 8 to 17, 2005.
PKBasu

Indian Shooters thread

Post by PKBasu »

Jaspal Rana and Samaresh Jung won the gold in the men's standard pistol event at the Commonwealth championship:
http://in.rediff.com/sports/2005/mar/12shoot.htm

Earlier India gained the gold medals in both the men's and women's air rifle events:
http://www.hindu.com/2005/03/12/stories ... 022100.htm

Anjali Bhagwat and Poornima Zanane did the trick in women's air rifle, while Gagan Narang and Manoj Kumar starred on the men's side.
PKBasu

Indian Shooters thread

Post by PKBasu »

Rathore continues to dominate double trap at the Commonwealth championship:
http://headlines.sify.com/news/fullstor ... h~shooting
gbelday

Indian Shooters thread

Post by gbelday »

Anjali settles for silver in women's 10m air rifle
http://in.rediff.com/sports/2005/mar/14shoot.htm
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Indian Shooters thread

Post by jaydeep »

Today in double trap event Rathore's coach Russell Mark beat him to win gold medal ... But Rathore again showed his mental toughness to win tie-shoot for silver medal.

http://in.rediff.com/sports/2005/mar/17shoot.htm

Now India having 11 gold, 8 silver and 5 bronze in the tournaments.

Jaydeep.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Indian Shooters thread

Post by BSharma »

A new website focussed on Indian shooters was launched recently by former International shooter Shimon Sharif. Shimon had represented India in the World Cup and his goal is to promote shooting in India.

Congratulations Mr Sharif.

Please check out he website Indian Shooting.

The website loads slowly and the message board did not allow me to post a message although I am a registered user (the link is not working). Hopefully the kinks will be removed soon and the website will fulfill its mission.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Indian Shooters thread

Post by sameerph »

Indian shooters doing somewhat better in Belgrade shotgun world cup after disappointing performances in earlier world cup.

Rathore finished sixth after being in 2nd place after prelimianaries with a score of 183. ( 142+41).

Zoravar Singh finishing fifth in trap again after faltering in final . He was also standing fifth after prelimiaries.
Amit Saghi creating national record in skeet with 120/125 & Arti Singh finishing 11th in women's skeet.

It is good if these performances mean that they are peaking slowly & will be at peak in next year . ( The year of Asian games). Rathore has said that he is getting used to the new gun & improving with every outing. In fact he was only one among the 2 shooters to score perfect 50 in one of the rounds.
Red_Indian

Indian Shooters thread

Post by Red_Indian »

There's an interview of Rathore in the HT print edition. It might (must?) be there in the online edition as well, albeit behind "closed doors".
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Indian Shooters thread

Post by sameerph »

India win 2 gold medals in Asian clay shooting championships in Trap- Individual ( Manavjeet Singh Sandhu ) & team events.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holn ... 101714.htm
Trap has traditionally been strong event for Indians . Recently India has fallen back in this event. Good to see a revival led by Manavjeet Singh Sandhu.