Indian Shooting thread

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Shooting thread

Post by prasen9 »

I think the test should be who would be the best this summer if we can project. I would go by current ranking than 2019 though irrespective of who earned the quota. We need to be ruthless to earn the most number of medals or increase the chances of that.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

True, one should go by current form. It is sad though for Apurvi if she loses her olympic place and possible medal finish due to covid break and resultant improved fitness and ill fitting equipment as claimed by her coach. She was one of our best medal prospects for Olympics before covid break and now she may miss out being there altogether.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Shooting has such a large mental element.

Which is the reason why I am reasonably confident on Saurabh that he will become the first multi-medal winner in Indian Olympic history.

Someone who does well in WCs but badly at the Asian Games, WC will do so at the Olympics as well.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sin Hombre wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:14 pmI am reasonably confident on Saurabh that he will become the first multi-medal winner in Indian Olympic history.
Norman Pritchard (1900) and Sushil Kumar (2008/2012) want to say Hi to you :)
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I suspect he meant in one Olympics. I think Norman Pritchard was a Briton, so I guess it was multi-medal performance for British India. Rooting for Saurabh to win 2 medals and hopefully at least one of them being gold!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^ I Know. I was just pulling his legs :)
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

:-)

Well if Saurabh doesn't win 2 medals after this, we can blame Jay
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

20 year old Aishwarya Pratap Singh Tomar wins gold in 50M rifle 3 positions. His final score was pretty good and good enough for a medal at high level events. But, qualifying score of 1165 needs to be improved to get to the final ina better field at Olympics.

Sanjeev Rajput had a qualifying score of 1173 which is good to make final at Olympics but he did not have a good final and finished 6th.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

1-2-3 for us in Womens 25M pistol event. Gold for Chinki Yadav, Silver for Rahi Sarnobat and bronze for Manu Bhaker.

But, frankly the field was quite weak. In qualfication, Rahi had 581, Chinki 580 and Manu 576. At olympics one would require about 583-584 to qualfy for the final.

This gold medal for Chinki might just confirm her spot ahead of Manu Bhaker.

Another selection dilemna here. Manu Bhaker has a few score of 587-590 which would be good for making final anywhere, Chinki had a couple of 584 in selection trials, Rahi only had 1 584+ score when she got the quota in 2019. But, both Chinki and Rahi have been better in the finals than Manu. So, lets see which 2 are selected.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I think the way to look at it would be to see who has the best chance to get a medal. For example, if a medal would be obtained if one shoots a 590 say. Then, we should see who has a chance to get to 590 the most. A very steady shooter who shoots a mean of 585 all the time is not useful. An erratic maverick who shoots 570 one day and 595 another day may be more useful. I would rather choose the second. Of course, I would choose one with a mean of 591 if I had one with little variance. I don't know if that helps any wrt our selections. But that is what we should look at and not just simple rankings that may rank the one who shoots a steady 585 higher.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Manu Bhaker is clearly better in qualifying than the other 2 has a higher celing than the other 2. She has hit 590+ a couple of times which other 2 have not. However, Chinki and Rahi have been better than Manu in finals. But, first one has to qualify for the :D final to be able to do better there.

Before this event, Manu will be taking part in 10M air pistol and mixed team events. So, they will have to also consider if she will be fully ready for this event.

Lot of complications.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Is there really a difference in the qualifying and the finals? In the Olympics? Have the other two not made as many finals? Why would that be? The pressure is the same. So, how do we explain this except this is just random. Yes, there are lots of complications with mixed, other events, etc.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Pressure is not the same. The finals are a knockout now where you keep seeing everyone else's scores.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, but, qualifying is also a bit of a knockout in the sense that you are not going to be in the final if you do not have at least some base score. I agree that the pressure is more in the finals, no doubt and so the finals performance should be considered with a bit more weight. And, anyway, I am in favor of choosing someone who may be a bit erratic but can actually get a medal on the right day instead of someone who is steady all across but does not have the highs.
depleter

Post by depleter »

And the final team is out

So, the 10m air rifle women final team is actually Apurvi Chandela and Elavenil both going with Anjum moudgil in the reserves.

But seriously ...Why is Deepak Kumar there??? He is so atrocious in the finals. Like I have never seen Deepak scoring big in the finals, atleast Anjum had a small phase in 2019 trails where her finals scores were good which would get her a medal(national trails, not international tournaments). Deepak never had a medal getting score even in national trails.