Indian Shooting thread

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Shooting thread

Post by jayakris »

That's some great news on a new young shooter!! Shahzar Rizvi setting the world record in 10m Air Pistol is fantastic. I guess that is our favorite event too.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, nice to see new fresh talent coming along in the shooting when greats like Bindra, Narang etc. have gone or fading away. This is nice article on her feat yesterday -

Mehuli Ghosh targets Tokyo 2020 Olympics quota in World Shooting Championships

Getting a personal best in her very first senior level tournament shows her talent and lack of nerves which is so important in every sport and more so in shooting.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Another fabulous day for us at the Guadalajara world cup in Mexico.

Another talented junior, 16 year old girl Manu Bhaker won the gold at Womens 10M Air Pistol event. She shot a fantastic 10.6 on her last shot as her hometown opponent faltered with a shots of 8+ in her last 2 shots. Another Indian Yashswini Singh Deswal finished 4th.

Also in mens 10M Air rifle, Ravi Kumar won a bronze while Deepak Kumar finished 4th.

So, now we are at the top of the table in this world cup with 2 golds and 3 bronze medals.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

The 16-year-old Manu Bhaker won her second gold medal in Air Pistol Mixed Team final ... Once again Manu Bhaker shined teaming up with Om Prakash Mitharval and they overtook their German rivals in the final phase of the match to win by 0.9 points ... They scored 476.1 points and German pair managed 475.2 points ... India’s second team — Mahima Turhi Agrawal and Shahzar Rizvi — finished in the 4th position with 372.4 points.

In the 10m Air Rifle Mixed Team final, Mehuli Ghosh and Deepak Kumar added another bronze to India’s medal count with 435.1 points ... They were just 0.7-point away from Coman and Moldoveanu at the 42nd-shot mark when top 2 pairs moved for a gold medal battle ... China’s Xu Hong and Chen Keduo bettered previous Word Record by 3.7 points for winning a gold with 502.0 points.

Thanks to Manu’s second gold, India's medal tally now counts three golds — all won in the Air Pistol events — and four bronzes.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

So, 16 year old Manu Bhaker has won 2 golds here while 17 year old Mehuli Ghosh has won 2 bronze medals. Admittedly the field here is a little weaker compared to other world cups as top Chinese and some of the other European shooters seem to have not yet started their season. Still, it is creditable that our young guns are doing this well.

This is an article on Manu in Indian express -

Manu Bhaker, jack of all trades but master of one, wins 10m pistol gold at World Cup
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Anjum Modugil won the silver in Womens 50M rifle 3 position event with a score of 454.2. The Chinese shooters won both gold and bronze medals in this category.

We are still at the top of the table in this world cup with 3 golds, 1 silver and 4 bronze medals with only 4 events left now.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yesterday, 22 year old Akhil Sheoran won the gold in 50M rifle 3 positions event. Again there were 3 Indians in the final but Sanjeev Rajput finished 4th and Swapnil Kusale in 7th position. Now, we are with 4 golds, 1 silver and 4 bronze medals with 1 day to go.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

NRAI president Raninder Singh asked the Indian government to boycott the Commonwealth Games in 2022 @Birmingham on the organizer's decision to drop the shooting discipline ... Also, India will skip the forthcoming editions of ISSF World Cups in the USA and Malta to keep the shooters fresh for the ISSF World Championships in Changwon, Korea and Asian Games in Jakarta.

NRAI wants 2022 CWG boycott over exclusion of shooting
“It's absolutely unfair that a major Olympic discipline in being treated in such a shabby manner by the Birmingham CWG organisers. India is a strong nation in shooting and they can't take away the sport from us. I would request the Indian government to boycott the Games. I will be raising this issue with Mr Bach as well.”
“What's the point behind these Indian shooters winning so many medals? Shall I throw them in the dustbin? I can see a pattern. First pairs event was removed, then teams event was removed, then certain events were removed and now they have removed the sport altogether from the CWG. This is unfair. I will be writing to the sports minister (Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore) and IOA president (Narinder Batra) to work towards getting shooting included in Birmingham Games. I have a luncheon meeting scheduled with Mr Bach too, and I will request him to look into the matter.”
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

We should certainly use the serious threat of boycotting to get shooting back into the games.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Yes, kick out sports that favour Asian countries but keep elite/expensive sports that the majority of the Commonwealth nations do not participate in. Standard imperialist behaviour!

Actually, is there any real point in having these games? Quite a few of the top competitors in athletics gave them a miss.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

There is a lot of space for second-level championships. So, even if the top athletes give it a skip, I am still in favor of having the Commonwealth Games. I have seen some top athletes train. Even though they are not world-standard freaks, they are remarkable anyway. Getting them some more international competition in sports that do not have enough is a good thing though I don't care that much about the history of CW.

Maybe sports such as amateur boxing and wrestling do not have enough tournaments. Their seeding is flaky. Getting some more information from some matches is useful. But, India should negotiate hard before committing to go. Does nobody watch the Commonwealth Games on TV anymore? I guess it overlapped with IPL. If we have a viewer market, we should be able to negotiate hard and get some things back in. If we do not have a viewer market, someone could perhaps take it upon themselves to improve that market. There is potentially some money to be made even though it is not as lucrative as IPL.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I think there was a pretty good vieweship for commonwealth games TV coverage .Of course nothing comparable to IPL. Even though the it overlapped with IPL, the timings were different. So, few more would have watched it for sure.

I think CWG is needed for our olympic sports athletes. By competing with decent level athletes from England,Australia, Canada our athletes do know where they stand in comparison to them and also put some spotlight on them for a short period which is also good for promotion of these sport.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Exactly. As always. Sameer says it concisely and better. We should try to increase our CWG viewership and use it as a negotiation tool. Enough of c^&p from the imperialists. That is how the cricket WCs were wrenched out of always being in England.

Off-Topic: Even now, England will be hosting their fifth world cup. Shameful. Aus/NZ has hosted two. WI one, RSA one. The fourth sub-continent cup will be in 2023.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I like the cut of this Raninder Singh fella.
IndiaSports

Post by IndiaSports »

ISSF World Cup Stage 2, Chongwan, Korea
Day 1

In the 10m Air Rifle event, Ravi Kumar and Arjun finished 4th and 6th respectively. Ravi missed a medal by 0.2 points.
The third indian Deepak Kumar finished 15th.

In the women's 10 Air Rifle event, Apurvi Chandela, Mehuli Ghosh and Anjum Moudgil finished 10th, 17th and 20th respectively.
None of them made the final.

In the women's 25m pistol event, Rahi Sarnobat, Heena Sidhu and Annu Raj Singh are lying 10th,13th and 20th respectively after first round of Qualifications.