Indian Wrestling Thread ...

All other sports such as squash, badminton,volleyball, atheletics etc which are not covered by any other forum heading can be entered in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Wrestling Thread ...

Post by suresh »

The wrestlers, who had said during their three-day protest at Jantar Mantar that they will not compete in any national or international tournament till the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) is disbanded and its chief is sacked, had communicated their decision about non-participation on the day of the team announcement.

Tokyo Olympics silver medallist Ravi Dahiya (57kg), world championship medallist Deepak Punia (86kg), talented youngster Anshu Malik (57kg), Bajrang's wife Sangeeta Phogat (62kg), Sarita Mor (59kg) and Jitendra Kinha (79kg), have all communicated along with Vinesh (53kg) and Bajrang (65kg) that they will not be able to compete.
Top wrestlers pull out of Zagreb Open saying they are not ready
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Great. Let us send the next rung out and see how they do. Super opportunity to build the bench. Is Yogeshwar the president's chum? That is the key. A probe should be independent. The probe is ordered by the government which is run by the party of the wrestling fed president. So, there may be a degree of partisanship there. Let us see what they put out and if it is truly non-partisan. It is very difficult to judge though. For example, if they say that there are no irregularities in the finances and nobody was harassed, we do not know what the truth is. So, the probe report needs to be clear and comprehensive. Let's see what we get.
Saffron Lenin
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Indian wrestler Aman Sehrawat clinched a bronze medal in the men’s 57kg category at the Zagreb Open Championships

https://m.tribuneindia.com/news/sports/ ... pen-476110
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

SAI's plan to shift camp from Sonepat irks Greco-Roman wrestlers
Grapplers write to SAI DG; say will stage a protest if their camp is moved to Lucknow NCO

https://www.newindianexpress.com/sport/ ... 56673.html
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

ASIAN WRESTLING C'SHIPS - DAY 1

In 55kg Greco-Roman, Rupin bagged🥈after losing to Dadmarz🇮🇷 1-3 in Final.

In 63kg GR, Neeraj won🥉beating 2020 Asian🥈Song🇰🇷 in BMM.

In 87kg GR, Sunil Kumar won🥉beating 2018 Asian 🥈Masato🇯🇵 4-1
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Can anyone explain me why Iran is so good in wrestling???? I have seen Iranians heating Usa and Russia wrestlers......
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Why should Iranians not beat US or Russians? Every country's good wrestlers beat worse wrestlers from another country. Iran has had a long history of kosthi palvani as part of their folk culture. And, they focus on this sport. So, why not? Why should better wrestlers come from U.S. or Russia or it be such that no U.S. or Russian wrestler be beatable by an Irani or Indian or whatever the country may be?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Saffron Lenin wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:53 am Can anyone explain me why Iran is so good in wrestling???? I have seen Iranians heating Usa and Russia wrestlers......
They are physically very strong. I mean what other reason I can give ? :D They have been traditionally very good.

In this Asian championships, we ended up with 1 silver and 3 bronze medals in Greco Roman. We did not win any medal in Greco Roman at last Asian games, so we can probably expect a couple this time around.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

I have heard there is much secrecy in wrestling with respect to techniques....May be more than any other sports!! Probably they have some techniques which made them good wrestling country..... I think Japan is another asian country apart from Iran who performs better in wrestling ( apart from former soviet states, of course).
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

sameerph wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:20 pm
Saffron Lenin wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:53 am Can anyone explain me why Iran is so good in wrestling???? I have seen Iranians heating Usa and Russia wrestlers......
They are physically very strong. I mean what other reason I can give ? :D They have been traditionally very good.

In this Asian championships, we ended up with 1 silver and 3 bronze medals in Greco Roman. We did not win any medal in Greco Roman at last Asian games, so we can probably expect a couple this time around.
Wrestling is not all about physically strong. There are much different dynamics here. For example, if you push a wall you need a strength with which you push it. But apart from that, if you need keep pushing it(say for 5 seconds), then you need a kind of endurance to keep the same strength for a period of time.
Indian wrestlers, who are trained at mud, have better second component ( as they wrestler in mud for 30 minutes to a hour). Also their traditional way of preparing such as hundreds of push-ups, situps and others prepare them for stamina component!!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Technique is very important. A 100 pound woman can throw down a 200 pound man with the right leverage and right hold.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Asian Wrestling C'ship: Vikas wins 72kg GR bronze

https://thebridge.in/wrestling/asian-cs ... tescroll=1
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

And he also lost to Iranian wrestler!!!!
I am seeing this trend from many years......There must be some technical issue.....
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Iranians have been historically good in wrestling. They take great pride in that sport and it is in their culture. Many people practice the sport and perhaps that creates a bigger pool, which leads to identifying better players. Wrestling is also about strength at key points, flexibility, technique, coaching, system, etc. and they have that. Iran has always been good in wrestling. So, they will produce good players.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Hmmm.....By the way, Is anyone following WFI chief harassment case?