Admin Annoucements about the board

Moderator: Moderators

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Update to new version

Post by Dhruv »

Hi all,

I have just updated the board to a new version of the software. Theoretically this is faster and more secure.

You might need to change your passwords as a result when you log in.

Please let me know of any errors that you may encounter as all seems to be working on my end.

Thanks,

Dhruv
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Update to new version

Post by suresh »

Thanks Dhruv. So far I have not been asked to change my password.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Thanks, Dhruv. Good to see you here, and thanks for everything you do quietly in the background, as always!

Are the search spiders still completely banned from the site? If so, would it be okay to open it up for some time? May increase a bit of traffic and add some readers. And then we can bottle it up, again?
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

jayakris wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:17 pm Are the search spiders still completely banned from the site? If so, would it be okay to open it up for some time? May increase a bit of traffic and add some readers. And then we can bottle it up, again?
Search spiders are open and have been for some time. Since the site was redesigned (so old links died) and a few of websites that we used to link with have been discontinued such as the footballindia, mohun bagan and east bengal fan clubs etc. the search engine rankings fell.

I haven't done any new SEO since the plan always was to redesign this thing based on Discourse (https://www.discourse.org) and potentially WordPress as the front end. I haven't had the time to do so and so this keeps getting put on hold.

I guess what is lacking is the SEO and to be fair it's the link bank portion that is not where it should be at.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Oh okay, please don't take up any time consuming projects on this. I was surprised that searching was just not bringing up the website on any words on Google.

If you want us to do some work on finding some right links or keywords to add or something, let us know, though. I really don't know much about how to attract spiders!

Jay
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

jayakris wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:27 pm Oh okay, please don't take up any time consuming projects on this. I was surprised that searching was just not bringing up the website on any words on Google.

If you want us to do some work on finding some right links or keywords to add or something, let us know, though. I really don't know much about how to attract spiders!

Jay
Which words? I can look into it.

The last major update removed meta data and meta descriptions which hits your website description on Google and other search engines. e.g. If you search "sports india" on google then you should find the site but the blurb below is stupidly unhelpful. I am trying to rectify that but will take a bit of time.

The current blurb I am thinking of putting is quite bland "The home of Indian sports fans. A fan website and forum to discuss various Indian sports and athletes"
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Thanks Dhruv for all this background work while not being active on the forum at all. It must be easily more than 10 years that you have been doing this.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Dhruv, hats off for your terrific work in the background from inception of our Sports-India community.
Please tell me if any help is required.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Am testing even more stuff so hopefully haven't broken stuff. It should be simple enough to the forum though.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Please post any feedback or suggestions on this page. The theory is that some of the articles etc. that people have written can be moved to the front page section and then the discussion can continue in the forums.

Suggestions on the theme and logo appreciated as well.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Hi Dhruv , just to let you know after you had made the changes to the website , for almost a week i could not access it, inspite of clicking the "accept cookies" button , and it seemed the page had just frozen..

Only couple days back it started to work normally as before and now i am able to access and even post it.

This is just for your information.

Thanks..
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Rajiv wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:32 am Hi Dhruv , just to let you know after you had made the changes to the website , for almost a week i could not access it, inspite of clicking the "accept cookies" button , and it seemed the page had just frozen..

Only couple days back it started to work normally as before and now i am able to access and even post it.

Thanks..
Thanks Rajiv. Which browser were you using? What platform (Windows, Mac, Android, IOS etc.)
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Dhruv wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:35 am
Rajiv wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:32 am Hi Dhruv , just to let you know after you had made the changes to the website , for almost a week i could not access it, inspite of clicking the "accept cookies" button , and it seemed the page had just frozen..

Thanks..
Thanks Rajiv. Which browser were you using? What platform (Windows, Mac, Android, IOS etc.)
Hi Dhruv , on my Desktop it wouldn't work on Chrome and IE , and with Android too , the result was the same.

So I Borrowed my Sons IPhone to double check, but even there I was unable to open the page.

This problem as i told you lasted for a week , but now it is fine and running well.

Thanks...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The front page scared me. I thought the site got hijacked! Nice. I like it.

It is making me log on way too often. Not sure if it isn't something at my end.
suresh

Post by suresh »

I am having the same issue as Jay. I need to login every time.