Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Happy 10th Birthday to Sports-India.com

Post by jayakris »

Initially posted in the thread on login problems .... Moved here.

I am traveling and it took me a couple of days of a few attempts to make it work - but I think I was impatient and not precisely following what the "reset profile page" was showing.

I have a sneaky suspicion that we just quietly completed TEN years of this forum and something kicked in with the settings that caused this? I need to check if the forum was officially public on Dec 15th 2002 but Dhruv may have set it up first on that date..... Nobody noticed??

Jay
Dinakaran

Re: Mtce updates to site

Post by Dinakaran »

Congarts on completing 10 Years!!!

I would be interested to know the history of how this forum idea started and came to this world.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Look like it is indeed 10 years completed 3 days back. If one goes back to the last page of the tennis tournament threads one gets this post by Jay which looks like the first post in the forum -

National Games
First of all, Congrats Dhruv for seetting up the board. Looks cool..

Just starting the National Games Tennis Discussion thread..
It has been great joy discussing sports in this forum for last 7 years ( since I joined only in Feb. 2005) & hope it contiues for many more years.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Mtce updates to site.

Post by jayakris »

Damn, I guess my mental clock that said mid december 2002 was correct, then. It indeed seems that the first post was that National Games post... Rather appropriate for the forum to have had the first post about the "National Games" eh? -- didn't think of it then, though ...

Well, congratulations, board!!! 10 years old. Wow. It seems like refusing to let my password work for a couple of days was the forum's way of getting at me for forgetting the birthday :)

As for history, basically there was a forum just for tennis discussion that I had set up, linked from tennisindia.org, but it was a cumbersome forum (more like what you see below news sites' articles these days) - not great for topic-wise discussions. The php forum software had just appeared by around that time, and Dhruv had the idea to set up a more general sports board. Dhruv was an active participant in the old tennis forum and he contacted me then. He set it up, and I redirected the tennis forum discussion link to the new one that Dhruv had set up. And we were quickly underway with all the tennis nuts joining. Those like PKB and the unforgettable Dr. Bharat Bhushan Sharma were there immediately. Others like Neil Kothari, Sandeep etc too. We kept adding additional topics and the forum got busy very fast.

What I would have never guessed is that 10 years later it would still be the ONLY forum that discussed all Indian sports, and amazingly cricket is still only a small part of the discussions. There is really no other worthwhile Indian sports forum out there, even now... pretty much! Congratulations, sports-india!!

Jay
Kothai
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Kothai »

Gbelday (Gautam) introduced the forum to me when I was working with him in NYC (2005).. Until then I was literally irritated that no one is talking/discussing abt Tennis .. Though I don't post much I have enjoyed all the discussions and posts.. and hoping to keep enjoying & I miss Bhushanji he is a kind soul to know.. That year I went to Sania's final match in Foresthill against Lucie safarova...

Wow .. Belated Happy B'day to the Forum..
:-)
Cheers
Kothai
shibi

Post by shibi »

Congrats Jay. Thanks for giving us the opportunity can follow different kinds of sports in one place.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I was following Jay's daily notes for a few months before joining the forum & got a link to the forum from it, I think.

P.S A separate thread needs to be created for this topic of competing 10 years rather under " Mtce updates to the site ".
Dinakaran

Post by Dinakaran »

Thanks for the histroy...

I use to search a lot into Internet for India related sports other than cricket, but all other places including News sites are flooded with Cricket news and very less with other sports. Strange is our indian sites are ready to cover EPL, F1, UFEA etc in big way...but not India's local leagues. So my only way to get the latest was visiting federation websites, but they don't keep upto date.

The day i found this site, i knew this is what i was looking for and I never had to look for any other places for latest. I almost spent entire weekend trying to go thru the old post after i found this site. It had so much of details and so many experts to give various views...

Thank you to Admin, Moderators and contributers
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Has it really been ten years? Wow!

I started out as a reader of Jay's tennis website more than fifteen years ago (yikes). Those were the heady early days of Paes & Bhupathi. Back then I lived in Boston, and would drive to the ATP World Championships in Hartford (about 1997 to 1999). I remember emailing "reports" of the Paes/Bhupathi matches that Jay would post on his website. On one occasion, I gathered up a few more followers of Jay's site and we took a tennisindia.org banner to Hartford.

Apart from those early meetings, I have never managed to personally meet any of the regulars on this forum, but I feel like I know their personalities well.

Prashant
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Happy 10th Birthday to Sports-India.com

Post by jayakris »

Moving the posts that started in another thread to this Happy Birthday thread... Jay
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Happy 10th Birthday to Sports-India.com

Post by jaydeep »

Thanks Jay for starting this thread ... Really my association with this forum was/ is/ will be memorable and one of the happy moments from my life.

Missing our beloved Doc (Bhushan uncle) who many times helped me with his fatherly guidance.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Amazing! Its 10 yrs already. Congratulations! Its time to look back and remember. First of all, many many thanks to Dhruv and Jay. I really appreciate their contribution that was instrumental in bringing this forum. Well, PKB and Jay, you are the heart of this forum. With more than 20000 posts, you both have shaped this forum with your contribution, your thoughts and your action. And next in line is Jaydeep - an enthusiast, ever calm and non-controversial. I never saw him getting into any hot discussion or losing his cool. He joined the forum little later but soon became the life of this forum, especially bringing all the information, facts and results. Many times I'll feel lazy to post some results from some sports that are not followed too much, but back in my mind I know Jaydeep will take care of it. Thank you very much. And thanks to all other old timers, as well as new participants in making this forum lively and interesting. Its the forum members that make a forum strong and gives it a character. Ours is a diverse community spread all around the earth with a single interest - to see the Indian sports excel. And here we get a chance to share our opinions, celebrate achievements by our heroes and also share our disappointments.

Surprisingly, in these 10 years I've actually met only one forum member in person (and that was Kumar). I hope I'll meet some more members in future. At this 10th anniversary, reflecting back, I just can't help but remember one person, who is no longer in our midst, and that is BSharma or Bhushan. With more than 12000 posts, he is still the 4th highest contributor to this forum. Bhushan was a special person and I sorely miss him in this forum. He really brought a calmness and friendliness to this forum with personal touch. He'll build relations with other forum members and was always ready to help anyone in any way if he could. Although I never met him, I'll forever be grateful to him for some of his words and advises that I got from him. Thanks Bhushan.

Once again - Happy 10th Birthday Sports-India.com!!!!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Congratulations to Jay and Dhruv for this 10 anniversary!!

I was one of the early subscribers to Jay's tennis updates some 16 years ago, and we had some spirited discussions in that forum -- as well as updating each other with alacrity on any key developments in Indian tennis (and later other sports). I normally go to India with my family around this time each year, to spend the holiday season in Calcutta with my parents and brother (and his family). So I missed the inauguration of the Sports-India.com forum (only catching a few glimpses on it on visits to an internet cafe) until I got back to Singapore and formally got myself logged in around January 3rd 2003. But it has been a wonderful ride ever since. This is family too now.
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

My story is similar to Dinakaran's as in not being able to find much news and discussion about sports other than cricket, especially about the up and coming tennis players...

And I had the fortune of finding this forum when I was looking for some sort of info about Yuki's tournaments and performances earlier this year.... :D
Other than the occasional hiccups due to some *kids* it has been a fantastic journey so far for me on the SI train...... :D

Congratulations to all who have contributed to SI for finishing 10 years very successfully.....
My hearty wishes & many thanks to all the mods, especially Jay for his first initiative of Tennis-India and Dhruv for providing us with this forum to extend the discussion to other sports as well...... :clap:
Keep up the good work guys! :xmas:
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Thanks for kind words for moderators (deserving duo, Dhruv and Jay) but importantly without enthusiastic and passionate forumites our forum would not have been such a great success ... Again special thanks to all of u on behalf of moderators.