Admin Annoucements about the board

Moderator: Moderators

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Mtce updates to site

Post by Dhruv »

Hi all,

I've just done some regular mtce. updates to the site. If things have broken in the process please let me know.

I have tried stuff out and all appears to be working so far but as always things may be broken as I haven't checked everything. If this is the case please let me know by replying to this post.

Thanks,

Dhruv
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Mtce updates to site

Post by gbelday »

Thanks Dhruv. Good to hear from you!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

He, look who is here! Hi Dhruv. Great to see you. If you get a minute sometime, could you take a look at the Badminton thread, and consider the suggestions there to start a badminton forum?

The front page looks nicer now! Regards. Jay
Ankit Desai

Post by Ankit Desai »

Can we have separate forums for Wrestling ,Boxing and shooting too ? on the line of Hockey ,Cricket and now Badminton.

We have lots of competition going on all year and with media coverage we will have news for each too !

-Ankit
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

jayakris wrote:He, look who is here! Hi Dhruv. Great to see you. If you get a minute sometime, could you take a look at the Badminton thread, and consider the suggestions there to start a badminton forum?

The front page looks nicer now! Regards. Jay

Have set up a separate Badminton section. As for other sports such as Wrestling, Boxing, Shooting Weight lifting etc.I still need to be convinced. Is easy enough to do but have to balance business of site with usage of the particular subforum.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Great work Dhruv ... Looking nice ... Yesterday in the night (Indian time) site was crashed while posting but today it is working.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Thanks Dhruv.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Thanks, Dhruv.

- Varma
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Hi Dhruv,

Thanks for the update and I do have one link that is broken since your recent update. Here is the link:
search.php?search_id=newposts&sr=posts& ... =0&start=0

This is the link I use to navigate / browse the forum before actually logging in to post any replies. It consolidates all recent posts, across all forums into a single view (most recent is first). Since the update, it is asking for the user to "login" before allowing me to use that link. As a result, I have stopped using that link and have stopped visiting the forum as frequently as before!

Can you please fix it, so that I can simply browse using that link and don't have to login every time to use it? I tried logging in and using the link, but that leads to other issues - like the time-out one. The time-out happens due to inactivity of few mins. Which means, I have to keep logging in, every time I want to see what is the most recent post, during the day.

thanks!
kujo
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Dhruv,

I also noticed another problem with the link: search.php?search_id=newposts&sr=posts& ... =0&start=0

Once I login and logout without reading up on all of the recent posts, I am unable track back and see such recent activity. i.e) it truly shows all recent posts since my previous logout and that is not good. I am unable to go back in time (most recent post, first) and play catchup with all of the forum's activities....

I hope you are able to remove this restriction that an user *must* be logged in, in order to view newposts as soon as possible!

thanks!!
suresh

Post by suresh »

@Kujo What is a newpost? I thought it was determined based on the last login of a given user. If so, the user must be logged in so that the program can determine what the list of newposts are. Why not let your browser automatically login (using cookies) so that your newposts (as well unread posts) are immediately available?
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Any thing I have not read is a new post to me, irrespective of when I logged in and logged out....

For example, I now see 7 posts that are supposedly new (apparently since my prior login). OTOH, I would say about 100 posts are new to me since I am yet to catch up on all of the recent forum activity.

Simply put, I would like to have that ability to basically organize the entire forum's activity with the most recent post at the top. And then I can go through them one by one, page by page, as and when I want -- irrespective of whether I am currently logged in or not AND irrespective of when I logged out the last time....

I had that ability, before the recent updates that Dhruv did. Now, I don't have it.... :-(

ps: for those in the UNIX world, that link was the equivalent of "ls -lt" command....
suresh

Post by suresh »

Kujo, I use the unread posts option to do precisely what you want.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

how so?

remember, what you are claiming is, that you are able to read all posts in this forum (across all categories, topics, threads, etc) without logging into the website AND in reverse chronological order... Just click page 1, page 2, etc. without having to navigate from one thread to another... right?

can you please explain the steps and links involved in doing that??
suresh

Post by suresh »

Sorry, I didn't mean that. I need to login which is done automatically. I then click on "unread posts" which gives all threads that contain unread posts. I then read the threads one by one.