nice one
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Happy 75th Birthday, Bharat!

Post by sameerph »

Happy 76th independence day to everyone !!!

This is one the oldest patriotic songs on the occasion -

A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
srini

Post by srini »

@Jay, how did you foresee this a year back and kept "Happy 75th Birthday, Bharat" instead of "Happy Birthday, India" ?
You seems to be a 'professor' who is good at 'prophesy'.

Akhand Bharat may come later, but India seems to be called 'Bharat' soon. Here's more details from India today which should probably call itself Bharat today to follow suit:)

Congress party noticed that the G20 invitations from President of India read "President of Bharat" already, so there are speculations the constitutional amendments to make this change would be done in the special session of parliament that is called right after G20 summit completes.

Not that it is a big change...Article 1 of constitution actually states " India, that is Bharat, shall be a Union of States." So they will just remove India word or may state " Bharat, that was India, shall be a Union of States."

With countries like Turkey already changing to "Turkiye", and "Netherlands" officially dropping "Hollad" in 2020 probably gave inspiration to NDA.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Actually, this is something relatively new, Srini. Brainwashing by Congress and the anti BJP ecosystem over the last few years - that Bharat is a name BJP is bringing up. Like you said, the name was not new, BJP had nothing to do with it, and it is in the first line of the constitution as one of two names our country has. All through the time when we were growing up, nobody ever bothered to see anything more in the name Bharat, and everybody was proud of both the names India and Bharat.

But I too have started getting shocked by one Congress/TMC/CPM/DMK follower friend after another beginning to notice the use of the word Bharat anywhere as a Sanghi thing. Some folks argued with me on whatsapp that using the name Bharat upsets non-Hindus in India and all that too. When did this whole crapola start? These people were getting brainwashed by the above ecosystem's social media capsules. They have found that name for attack now.

When I wrote Bharat, I saw nothing in it. No visions of anything "akhand" or Hindu-centric or anything else. Just used a name that would look weird in our sports threads, when I got a chance to use it. Since 1947 (and actually much before that) the word was always there as our name at all kinds of places. Gandhiji, Nehru and Ambedker freely and frequently used the name Bharat to call India. Akhila Bharatiya Harijan Samaj was founded by Gandhiji in 1932. Our currency bills always had it. Our national anthem only uses that name in its first line; not India. Foreign countries' ambassadors routinely used to send messages and tweets where they would use the word Bharat, knowing of it as just the non-English name of the country.

It is just like Korea being the English name, whereas "Daehan Minguk" (or more precisely "Dae Han Min Guk" = "Great Han People's Country") is the name Koreans use in Korea. In fact the short form "Han gook" ("Han country") is the name they use most often. Not Korea. There are other cases of countries that have multiple names.

Don't pay attention to those who are kicking up a ruckus about the use of an alternate name our country has. They have ulterior motives, and often forget what they do to national unity when they do what they do for political advantage.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

I would prefer the fuller Bharatbarsha. Bharat was the name of the tribe.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^ But Bharatvarsha was never used all that much through history. The shorter "bharata" was more often used.

"Yada Yada hi Dharmasya Glanir Bhavati Bharata" was what was in the Bhagavat Gita. That was from a long time ago, at least 4 to 5 millennia if not much before.

Plus, "Bharata" is a shorter name, easy for everybody to remember. Some foreigners may say it as "baharaada" though. Better to use "India" elsewhere, outside India.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

srini wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:17 am @Jay, how did you foresee this a year back and kept "Happy 75th Birthday, Bharat" instead of "Happy Birthday, India" ?
By the way, I used "Happy Birthday, India" in the post's body, and "Bharat" in the title :) ... The names are quite equivalent to me, I guess.
srini

Post by srini »

True. I agree the name is not new, but it took the opposition to name itself "INDIA", that is "Indian National Democratic Inclusive Alliance" to bring about this change now??

Earlier i said, NDA will just remove India word or may state " Bharat, that was India, shall be a Union of States."

If i know anything about how Modi's mind works, mostly the former will happen. BJP any day prefers to use Bharat from the both official names available in constitution, but the opposition calling itself INDIA precipitated it.

Its an irony that Rahul completed his "Bharat Jodo Yatra" (not India Jodo mind you!) just a few months back and his great grand father Nehru wrote the book "Bharat Ek Khoj". Pity Congress which does all its things named "Bharat" but opposes the primary use of name to the English word.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:26 am ^^ But Bharatvarsha was never used all that much through history. The shorter "bharata" was more often used.

"Yada Yada hi Dharmasya Glanir Bhavati Bharata" was what was in the Bhagavat Gita. That was from a long time ago, at least 4 to 5 millennia if not much before.

Plus, "Bharata" is a shorter name, easy for everybody to remember. Some foreigners may say it as "baharaada" though. Better to use "India" elsewhere, outside India.
Well, Burma changed over to the not so easy Myanmar. So, why not Bharata or Bharatavarsha. Yes, the shortened form is easier and thus has been used. But, Bharatvarsha is more accurate since the tribe's name was Bharat and their abode (varsha) is what we are talking about. Don't mind either way.

I would actually encourage use of Bharat outside without making it a hard change. That is, we try to push the term Bharat as much as possible but where people will have no clue, we may use Bharat, or India as it used to be called in English. Etc. Here in Germany, they use Indien!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Myanmar and Turkye are different, though. They were just changing the spelling in those instances - like in the case of Kolkata and Kozhikode. The foreigners were using wrong spellings that were not close enough to the actual name. Dropping the name of a country altogether, is a very rare thing. I cannot remember any country that did that.

I hope the name "India" will not be dropped. I can live with it, if they simply change the constitution line to "Bharat, that is India" (I don't want even that change; but if the BJP politicians won't agree to keep the status quo, that is).

Both names need to remain because Bharat is a name we always had, and India is the name the others called us with. Again, like "Hanguk" and "Korea".
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

As an aside, the pro-BJP guys in Kerala now call I.N.D.I.A as "ayyendee ayyae" in Malayalam. "ayyae" is an exclamation used for "how shameful!" in Malayalam :) [Similar to "ayyO" for "Oh damn" - which exists in Korean also as "aigoo"]

As another aside, hope you all noticed that I.N.D.I.A has a name that is grammatically wrong in English. "Indian National Democratic Inclusive Alliance" has a wrong order of adjectives. English has certain relatively rigid rules on what adjective goes ahead of what. You can't say "a white old dog"; it has to be "an old white dog". The alliance had to be "Inclusive Indian National Democratic Alliance," I think. But then again, nobody accused the opposition guys to actually be intelligent or informed, though they think they are.
srini

Post by srini »

jayakris wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:23 pm Myanmar and Turkye are different, though. They were just changing the spelling in those instances - like in the case of Kolkata and Kozhikode. The foreigners were using wrong spellings that were not close enough to the actual name. Dropping the name of a country altogether, is a very rare thing. I cannot remember any country that did that.

I hope the name "India" will not be dropped. I can live with it, if they simply change the constitution line to "Bharat, that is India" (I don't want even that change; but if the BJP politicians won't agree to keep the status quo, that is).

Both names need to remain because Bharat is a name we always had, and India is the name the others called us with. Again, like "Hanguk" and "Korea".
I already gave the example of "Netherlands" dropping "Holland". So its not rare. Mayanmar is not a spelling change, they changed it from "Burma" to "Myanmar".

Now that i think more of it, i believe NDA wants to drop "India" name altogether that is the whole point since they don't want opposition to be calling themselves with nation's name. As i said irony is Congress was using "Bharat" word for most of the things it did and Modi was using "Make in India", "Skill India", "Khelo India" and what not! Actually many of Congress members like Hargovind Pant were vociferously advocating constitutional name as "Bharat" or "Bharata Varsha" during a 1949 Parliament discussion just as Prasen was suggesting but Nehru went with including "Bharat" ONLY once in Article-1 to satisfy his colleagues and rest everywhere there was no mention of Bharat...It was called India everywhere else in constitution.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am full nativist on this. Bharat or Bharatvarsha. Screw the foreigners. What term they want to use, they can use. We should use Bharat and insist on that in every U.N., sports meet, etc. Where it needs money, we can say we will let old forms, etc. co-exist for 25 years. All new stationery, etc. and signs should be using Bharat. Just keep the costs down and ensure backward compatibility. Then, change it.