India fires Brahmos Supersonic missile into Pak(accidentally!!)

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
srini

India fires Brahmos Supersonic missile into Pak(accidentally!!)

Post by srini »

I 'm aware this is a sports forum and we hardly care about geo politics etc., but in the absence of any interesting sports news, i found this interesting and thought of posting here. India fires a supersonic missile 140 km into proper Pakistan crossing international border (albeit by accident) and because of ongoing Ukraine conflict world still seems to consider it's boring news and even in India the news is buried back into the inner columns rather than making front line.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 158513.cms

On a different note, do such missile strikes really happen by mistake or is it the BJP's RSS gang testing waters about recapturing POK making use of world's attention diverted to Ukraine? Either way it's scary and we already had one such military mistake by shooting down our own chopper and killling
all 6 onboard during 2019 Balakot crisis and were on the brink of the war 2 times in 2 years - once during Balakot 2019 and another time with China in Ladakh 2020 when we lost 20 soldiers. Are Indian air defense systems that fragile as to misfire missiles into other nations?
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: India fires Brahmos Supersonic missile into Pak(accidentally!!)

Post by suresh »

This is very scary -- doubly scary if this was really done by mistake. Imagine a missile with a nuclear warhead getting fired in this fashion. Saying oops won't be enough.
srini

Post by srini »

True, i would expect a missile can't misfire just like a gun, it has to be fed the target location and would undergo lot of instruction steps guiding its path. So is it a case of testing how good Pak air defenses are by actually firing a missile when world is pre-occupied with Ukraine and still get away with out any consequences?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Meanwhile, Pakistan reciprocated like they always do, and fired two missiles "by mistake" at India. The rumor is that one fell in Karachi and the other in Lahore :)

Jay

PS: I am making it up.
suresh

Post by suresh »

jayakris wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:20 am Meanwhile, Pakistan reciprocated like they always do, and fired two missiles "by mistake" at India. The rumor is that one fell in Karachi and the other in Lahore :)

Jay

:rofl:
srini

Post by srini »

jayakris wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:20 am Meanwhile, Pakistan reciprocated like they always do, and fired two missiles "by mistake" at India. The rumor is that one fell in Karachi and the other in Lahore :)

Jay

:p :rofl:
Thanks Jay for adding fun to an otherwise serious topic. But this Ukraine episode has established the fact that any nuclear nation can get away with invading another nation without actually risking wrath from the so called peace keepers and protectors of the world (West). This is a an ominous precedent and feels scary to imagine whose turn it will be next because in modern warfare it's not just armies which would be fighting the war but also involves lot of civilian causalities due to missiles and bombing residential places. I would assume India got lucky on 2 counts in 2 years with Pak and China, in both cases it would have easily escalated into full blown conflict assuming what if Abhinandan's flight crashed causing pilot's death or if China decided not to retreat after some causalities on both sides. Tempers can easily flare and governments can only start war, it's just public sentiment which drives it after that and its not even those hands who started it. Thanks God better sense prevailed both times.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

A friend of mine characterized it as the world being in such a mess because of 4 guys to the North, East, South and West. They are really the only guys who matter, and all four of them are incapable of doing anything right for the world to get along. Putin, Xi, Modi, Biden.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

srini wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:24 am :p :rofl:
But this Ukraine episode has established the fact that any nuclear nation can get away with invading another nation without actually risking wrath from the so called peace keepers and protectors of the world (West). This is a an ominous precedent and feels scary to imagine whose turn it will be next because in modern warfare it's not just armies which would be fighting the war but also involves lot of civilian causalities due to missiles and bombing residential places.
The only point I would question is - the US (with its allies) has been doing the same thing every couple of years at least since my teenage years (this century) i.e., breaking the independence of other nations by invading and bombing other nations under the pretext of regime change and on values that it aligns with. Our own Indian subcontinent has been destroyed by the same group with Al Qaeda and Taliban and co being manufactured by USA and its partners.

War is evil / medieval but I find it a bit odd that in general people hold Russia accountable but stay quiet on similar ghastly invasions by the US. I understand that there should be a difference between invading a rich continent`s poor country vs Africa / South America / Asia`s poor country and that probably is the answer but still.

Outside of this topic - its important that Indian Military focuses on modern machinery. Superiority in unmanned missions / drones is super critical. Armenia lost its war 1 year back completely on the back of Turkish drones. Same here with Russian army going down to Turkish Drones used by Ukraine.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^ True that US has "invaded" too. Many times. But there are big difference though.

The US did it with UN support in almost all cases, though one case -- Iraq -- involved lying to the UN, even if on the basis of clearly mistaken intelligence on WMD. More importantly, USA has NEVER taken territory in any of those invasions in well over a century. Russia has, and will do that here again. If it isn't clear that they will do that, there wouldn't be a reaction like this from the Ukrainian people (a portion of whom, may be 10 to 25%) are actually even okay with Russian influence and don't trust the West too much. The Ukrainians, except in the border regions, to the east (Donestsk etc) know that this is not a US-style invasion. This is a grab of territory; nothing else. That is why they are out there fighting with whatever they can find. The Iraqis and Afghans did not stand up against the US, because they knew that USA would not put up an oppressive undemocratic puppet government. And USA hasn't. In many cases they didn't want USA to leave (and the world reaction was to blame USA for "leaving after creating a mess"), but USA still left. Every damn time.

I feel the reverse of what you say about blaming Russia. I feel there is a lot of attempt out there to whitewash Russia, and equate what they are doing to what USA has done in many cases. But there is no equivalence at all.
srini

Post by srini »

VReddy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:34 pm
srini wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:24 am :p :rofl:
War is evil / medieval but I find it a bit odd that in general people hold Russia accountable but stay quiet on similar ghastly invasions by the US. I understand that there should be a difference between invading a rich continent`s poor country vs Africa / South America / Asia`s poor country and that probably is the answer but still.
Valid point observed! When the US plans any invasion alone or along with its NATO buddies, it moves its media machine in Newyork, Washington and London (YES you got that right CNNs and BBCs of the world) before it moves its war machine one inch into the the country its trying to invade. This media machine fabricates a whole bunch of lies, REPEATs it with an alarming frequency and makes it sound like a FACT. In US and West public memory is short( i always wonder how easily they forgot WMD lie that Bush Jr propagated) and they fall to the same lies all over again every 2-3 years as you mentioned. Now once the media does its bit, its not hard for the protectors of democracies to convince the UN for an invasion which is dominated by its friends in representation.The same media which is now churning out images of civilian suffering due to Russian invasion only highlights how civilians are welcoming the protectors of democracy.I have no doubt in mind what so ever, a tyrant like Saddam would have been better for Iraq by providing safety and avoiding any sectarian violence which was on rise after the protectors of democracies took over. (Ref: an Iraqi citizen's views on this https://www.businessinsider.in/politics ... 653648.cms)

Just because US doesn't take territory, it doesnn't mean it had no evil intent. One has to observe how the US and its buddies like UK make money out of the WAR ECONOMY. Yeaah!! their defense industry is a parasite that needs their countries to wage a war every 2-3 years and there is the added benefit of the US contractors getting their share in the nation rebuilding effort that takes place after all the bombing/shelling they do.One has to be out of their mind to think these nations got richer only by its people working harder/smarter than other nations. These countries got most of the riches by plundering a nation's assets by installing a pupper government after invasion and later by securing the contracts of rebuilding.Several nations got destoryed in world war2 and post WW 2 who got the Lion's share of contracts for rebuilding them? And they continue to need more wars with regular frequency to sustain the ill-aqcuired quality of lifestyle.I always had this feeling that UK granted India independence just 2 years after world war 2 because it got busier negotiating its piece of pie (in post war rebuilding contracts) and had no time to spare for the non-violent protests sh*t that GAAANDHI had to throw at them.

What ever the WEST does, it can't escape the rule of KARMA!! Now Russia seems to be taking a leaf out of US's playbook and accusing the Ukraine of Bio-weapons reasearch funded by US and co. Well WEST can now be assured bad KARMA at some point will comeback and it probably looks like what's happening now. A weak and senile president is all US needed at a time PUTINs of the world go grabbing the land :rofl:
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Can we get back to India firing the “accidental” missile?
suresh

Post by suresh »

Atithee wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:44 am Can we get back to India firing the “accidental” missile?
Oops! :D
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The latest rumor is that Pakistan has been trying to fire some missiles accidentally, but can't get anything to fire even by accident. Oh well, there goes that! No fun, these Pakistanis. They will have better luck to give something for Imran to throw across the border. I am sure the dude still has the speed to beat our missile defenses.
srini

Post by srini »

Atithee wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:44 am Can we get back to India firing the “accidental” missile?
Oops Thanks for gently flagging my rant. :p

More on this...
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/what-us ... an-2823163
Big Brother thinks there's absolutely no need to suspect india on missile as india vouches it was accidental. Biden thinks Modi is angel when compared to "killer" Putin, he better wait for Modi using his new pilot run for influencing 2024 re-relection outcome. So we can also put a pause on this thread until then and get back to it in 2024!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Jay

Hey, I do not recall Pakistan having made such a mistake. So, unfortunately, it is India -2, Pak 0. :-(

I hope quietly they have done an investigation as to why this happened and took steps to educate/train the culprits or change the system if it was faulty. Hopefully, things have been taken seriously, which I think for an event of such magnitude, they most possibly have.