jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Infected by the Corona Virus

Post by jayakris »

suresh wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:16 am
jayakris wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:46 am Suresh, is everything okay? You haven't said anything in 3 days, so I wondered.
I am busy at work! Teaching (online) has begun and I am trying to figure out how to optimally teach. It is taking 10 times more time than the old chalk and talk method.
Oh, okay... Sympathies... My classes start in a couple of weeks. But I use a document camera on Zoom and simply write on a piece of paper just like it is a whiteboard! Actually it was better, because it takes a bit more time and energy to clean an actual classroom board every now and then, and to walk up to it and write :)
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by suresh »

IIT-Madras turns into 'Covid-19 cluster', 71 test positive; departments, labs, library shut

The only students on campus are doctoral students who work on experiments and were permitted on campus post a 14 day quarantine and negative covid test. This has happened despite all this.

32 cases were found on Sunday due to contact tracing. So this is good. Now everyone is being tested.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Social distancing was followed?

In our school district, surprisingly the school had to be shut down because the teachers and staff were getting infected with COVID, not (from) the students! Of course, we are never sure, but almost all the contact tracing were traced back to staff interacting with family or friends from outside State College and not really from Penn State! We thought Penn State students would seed the community. They possibly did to some extent but most of our infections seem to be from people meeting family and friends due to travel (within the state).
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Ventilation issues in the student mess with overcrowding, I suppose, at IITM.
khan27

Post by khan27 »

Everyone should take the precautions to stay safe from this deadly virus. We should wear mask and stay home.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes, absolutely. This is way too serious.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

With designer masks so prevalent in India (matching with saree, etc.), I am wondering if the masks are providing the expected protection. Are we lulling ourself into false security giving this exponential rise to the numbers? I think double masking is the call of the day.
suresh

Post by suresh »

My 81 year old aunt passed away on the 16th morning. She had been unwell since mid April and had one round of hospitalization with a lung infection. It came back again on 14th and had her gasping for breath. She tested positive for Covid on 15th which was a huge surprise given that she is bed ridden and not too many people interact with her. She also tested negative before discharge from the hospital on May 3 and had one dose of Covishield. I have been taking care of my aunt for around 20 years. The Corporation folks were most helpful in helping me through the formalities for a Covid death. Getting a hospital bed is tricky at the moment in Chennai is what I found out. She passed away at home before that happened. Lots of volunteer groups helping people -- one's faith in humanity is restored. Then you also get so see people who are only interested in making money out of this pandemic.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Suresh, sorry to learn about the death of your aunt. Hope she finds respite in her final abode now. Om shanti.

Also, glad to learn that humanity is still alive while the profiteering continues shamelessly.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am so sorry to hear that Suresh. All the best to your family and near and dear ones whose loss it is. So, she must have been infected in the hospital but it did not show up and incubated in the next two weeks (11 days) or so and became worse. Aaahhh! :-(
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Suresh, sorry to hear about this sad loss. RIP.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Suresh, so sorry to learn about your aunt passing due to Covid-19. My deepest condolences to you and your family. Om Shanti.
Is it possible that she acquired the infection during her stay in hospital in May for lung infection, or when she went in to get her shot?
I have observed 4 cases where people who have lung issues (TB, lung cancer, asthma) reacting badly to the Covieshiled vaccine - all younger than your aunt.
suresh

Post by suresh »

jai_in_canada wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:13 am Suresh, so sorry to learn about your aunt passing due to Covid-19. My deepest condolences to you and your family. Om Shanti.
Is it possible that she acquired the infection during her stay in hospital in May for lung infection, or when she went in to get her shot?
I have observed 4 cases where people who have lung issues (TB, lung cancer, asthma) reacting badly to the Covieshiled vaccine - all younger than your aunt.
My aunt had her first dose of Covishield well before her hospitalization. Both CT and RTPCR were negative for Covid on May 3. She should have started showing symptoms by around May 8/9 if she did pick up in the hospital. I am a little confused about how she picked up Covid. She was unwell in any case and I think Covid hastened her demise. She was deaf-mute from birth and hence communication was always an issue. That complicates figuring out things which would be simple for normal people. I am relieved that she did not suffer too long.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Wow! Moving story, Suresh. Great credit to you for looking after her. That is divine service to a needy person. Looks like she didn't suffer much in the end. And now she is free of all that karma. Om Shanti.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

suresh wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:18 am My aunt had her first dose of Covishield well before her hospitalization. Both CT and RTPCR were negative for Covid on May 3. She should have started showing symptoms by around May 8/9 if she did pick up in the hospital. I am a little confused about how she picked up Covid.
The CDC here says that it may take 2-14 days for symptoms to appear. So, 11 days was about right. Maybe there were other symptoms before that were milder and did not get caught? Even if there was proper communication, it is possible to get symptoms two weeks after the contact. Or at least that is what we have been told.