Infected by the Corona Virus

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Infected by the Corona Virus

Post by suresh »

A personal account

My son had to undergo a covid19 test before a colonoscopy to figure out his GI issues. He was tested on Aug 9 and to out utter surprise he tested positive on Aug 10. As direct contacts, my wife and I were tested and my wife tested positive on Aug 14 while I tested negative. Both of them were totally asymptomatic and we would never have known about the infection but for the routine covid19 test. We were all put on home quarantine that got over with yesterday (Aug 29). In total, we were quarantined for 18 days.

We still don't know how they got infected. I suspect it came from a two and half hour visit to meet a gastroenterologist at a hospital on July 31. He was the guy who wanted to do the colonoscopy. I did not enter the hospital but my son and wife did. Both work two masks and a face shield and changed clothes immediately after leaving the hospital before entering the car. My son went to our campus hospital for lab tests as prelude to colonoscopy on Aug 1 but never stepped out of our home after that day. The colonoscopy got postponed by a week and hence the test was done on Aug 9 (instead of Aug 2). My wife points out that RT-PCR tests can give positives up to 63 days after the infection. So it is possible that his GI issues might be a covid19 symptom. But that would mean that he got infected in the first week of July! I still don't understand how I did not get infected. Higher immunity due to running 90K+ every week?

Food and groceries were supplied by our campus vendors who would leave stuff outside our door and I would go and pick things up. Our campus doctors and the Chennai Corporation checked on us regularly for a week until they felt sure that we were doing okay. Our garbage was separately picked up thrice a week by the Corporation. The downside for me is that I stopped running abruptly for 18 days. Household chores, however, kept me busy for most of the day.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Infected by the Corona Virus

Post by rajitghosh »

Thank God Suresh and family are well.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Good that the quarantine period ended. Hospitals and offices are hot spots. Any closed space.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Good to know Suresh that your family recovered well from Covid. Yes, looks very hard for anyone to know that how one got infected. So, we need to be alert all the time. But, how much care we can take ( except wearing a mask all the time) as we are begining to go out of the house more and more out for work and other matters.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Yes, Sameer. It is imperative that we take all possible precautions. It could at the very least lessen the viral load giving one's body a chance to fight it. It is important to stay fit -- both my wife and I are quite fit. In my case, I wasn't this fit even in my twenties.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

rajitghosh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:32 am Thank God Suresh and family are well.
The question is: Did Suresh thank God too? What type of God is it? He, she, it, they? Einsteinian god? I am delighted that Suresh and family are doing great. I am delighted that his wife and son at least have immunity now and hopefully, that will last at least four months. Oh, wait! What is the false positive rate for the test? Anyway, happy that everyone is doing well and is healthy.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Wow, we had no idea this happened. So glad to hear that everything is okay.
suresh

Post by suresh »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:21 pm
rajitghosh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:32 am Thank God Suresh and family are well.
The question is: Did Suresh thank God too? What type of God is it?
:rofl:
suresh

Post by suresh »

jayakris wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:58 pm Wow, we had no idea this happened. So glad to hear that everything is okay.
I didn't see why I should let more people get worked up.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Suresh, happy for you and your family are doing fine ... Appreciate that you shared this incident with us.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Oh wow. I am glad all is well now Suresh!!
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Glad to hear everything worked out well for suresh and his family.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Suresh, glad that everything turned out well! Please take care! Hope your son’s GI issue is resolved now
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Phew! Glad to know that Suresh's son and wife have recovered from the Covid-19 infection, and did so before their cases became severe. Suresh's higher immunity level is impressive: running 90K+ a week does seem a tad excessive :-) but maybe not! I just cycle about 5Km, skip (100 counts) and do 10-15 minutes of PT that I was taught at school (exercising all the parts of the body) when I'm unable to play tennis. Tennis courts have been closed for the past 5.5 months :-(
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Suresh, what was the treatment (medicines, etc.) given to your wife and daughter while they were infected? Or is the advice simply to self-quarantine until other symptoms show up (which seems rather cavalier...)?