Infected by the Corona Virus

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Infected by the Corona Virus

Post by prasen9 »

Great to hear from you Ankit and hear that you are getting well. Hope for a full recovery soon. And, here's hoping Sameer does not suffer from longer term effects of this disease.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

ankit1407 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:19 pm Thanks guys , did not have energy to log in and respond for past few days .. each passing day is progress now but taking it slow and easy for sure ….

Sameer glad to see you are back from hospital and recovering …
Great to hear that you are well
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Phew... Nice to hear. Take rest, Ankit. And it is good to see Sameer back and doing regular posting.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Relieved. Take care buddy!
suresh

Post by suresh »

ankit1407 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:19 pm Thanks guys , did not have energy to log in and respond for past few days .. each passing day is progress now but taking it slow and easy for sure ….
Great to hear from you. It sounds like you had dengue and not covid. Which one was it finally?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Nice to see you back, Ankit. Get well soon.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Nice to hear from you, Ankit ... Take rest.
suresh

Post by suresh »

As Omicron takes centre stage, the number of cases in our campus have started increasing. The last two bulletins over the past week had 70+ and 45+ cases. The cases are split among the hostel sector and residential sector. As the cases increase and so many people I know are getting infected, it feels like one is dodging a bullet every day. My son says that it is probably best to get infected and be done with it.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

suresh wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:50 amMy son says that it is probably best to get infected and be done with it.
This is the prevailing wisdom these days, but doctors are also warning against it... Even if the fatality rate under Omicron is low (probably less than 0.3 or 0.2 percent, or 1 in 300 to 500, and generally even better than regular cold/flu that also cause deaths in older folks with other conditions), this thing does cause some longer term issues in many people still, unlike the cold/flu... So taking all precautions and getting frequent vaccine shots to avoid it is still the better option.

At least we can feel that we don't have to badly panic if we get it.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

After having escaped catching covid since March 2019, I finally fell victim to this damn virus last week. I was traveling from my hometown (Thiruvarur) to Chennai to attend my visa appointments at the US Consulate and despite having worn 2 masks all the time (clothed ones), and not eating out in restaurants or anywhere else, I caught it. As soon as I came back from Chennai, I did spend one day with my parents without maintaining any social distancing because by this time, I didn’t have any symptoms. From day 2, I started feeling sick with some cold and fever, and as soon as this started, I isolated myself in the second floor. Day 3, I asked my brother to get a test kit (RAT) from the pharmacy, and undoubtedly, it was positive. My parents would drop off the food by the stairs and 2 days later, I was all good. That was the only test I took and based on the instructions I followed, it couldn’t have been wrong. I recovered within 7 days and I feel strange about this episode because my symptoms were just cold, runny nose, and a mild fever (for 2 days), but I did get the Pfizer booster shot in late November before coming to India. My parents and the rest of the family have been disease free and I hope it stays that way but I share the same feeling as Suresh’s son. Especially in a country like ours, where people sneeze out loud while standing in the buses, and other places, do not have a means to follow social distancing like in Pondy Bazaar, and just do not seem to have the awareness, this seems unavoidable right about now.

Could it be that what I had was a common seasonal sickness and wasn’t covid at all? I’m curious to get an antibody test as soon as I’m back in the US.
Last edited by Dinesh on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
suresh

Post by suresh »

@Dinesh It was a good call to isolate yourself. That way your parents didn't get infected. I am also glad that you are fine. Over the past last two years, I was forced into doing hospital duty. I would isolate myself from my family during those periods. It was not fun but the safe thing to do. It was easy to prevent Delta with proper masking. It appears that it is not enough to stop Omicron. The next two weeks are not going to be fun as more and more people get infected.

Are you still in India?
suresh

Post by suresh »

Dinesh wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:25 am Could it be that what I had was a common seasonal sickened and wasn’t covid at all? I’m curious to get an antibody test as soon as I’m back in the US.
Don't waste your money on this. A positive RAT test is enough proof that you got Covid.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

I’m in India still till the end of this month. Antibody tests there are free with or without insurance, but I probably shouldn’t stress the already stressful healthcare workers until after the situation gets better there.
suresh wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:43 am
Don't waste your money on this. A positive RAT test is enough proof that you got Covid.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Most vaxxed folks infected by Omicron have either no symptoms or a mild cold like symptoms. From your symptoms, looks like Omicron infection.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Given that genome sequencing is rarely done and it looks like Omicron is dominating the Indian case counts. Yet states continue to count the number of Omicron cases that have been found using sequencing. Utterly meaningless data, I think.