This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

Post by jayakris »

suresh wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:10 pmI am mystified as to how Mumbai numbers came down but the same couldn't be replicated in Thane.
It was not at all through testing and tracing that they got over it in Mumbai. It was a super job of containment, and only that (thank Chahal and Ashwini Bhide for that). They can't do that in other urban areas, except some much smaller slums in Pune etc. They did that in Pune, but Pune regular urban areas and village are all flaring because nobody is doing contact tracing. 32K tests today in Maharashtra, where it should 100K a day now. Fine, do at least 60 or 70K. Uttar Pradesh with 1/6th of the cases did 42K today, so it is not impossible. Uddhav did set up 100+ labs too. But still didn't know that you have to do contact tracing.

Nobody in the state stresses on testing or tracing. Not a single official (no IAS officer, no health person, and no minister) ever said a word about contact tracing. It is now down to finding 3 contacts per positive while 10 is a minimum. Okay, I can live with 7 or 8 too. But 3 is what Mexico and Brazil does. That basically means the 2 or 3 that are infected by a person is just found later when they get infected. Almost ZERO contact tracing.

We know how bad it is, when we read a Navi Mumbai official makes the newspaper write an article about this new scheme called "contact tracing", as recently as yesterday. In Navi Mumbai. We aren't talking some small town in Akola district.

Back to square one with what we started with. Half of the spread in India was seeded by migrants from Maharashtra, and 1/3rd of our cases are still there.

Can you believe that only 9 countries in the world which includes BRA and MEX (just ahead of them) have more cases than Maharashtra?

And what the hell is Modiji doing in Delhi? Can't the idiots in Delhi see what is going on, and do something about Maharashtra. How can we let one state just kill us like this with incompetence?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I'm sorry. I am losing it today. Just cannot take this bullshit anymore, from Uddhav. And Modiji, with regard to Maharashtra. Friggin do something!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Now Telangana takes down Government data site which were reporting higher numbers (I guess it was a hidden website?) -- Telangana takes down COVID-19 data site (Deccan Chronicle)

The state's reasoning that the higher numbers at that data site were because of some poor test lab data is a plausible one, though. I believe there is some 2000+ cases to come in, unless they were tests again, because one lab apparently showed 70% positivity! Who knows...

These two states at the bottom of my rank list - Telangana and Maharashtra - are really screwing us.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

For Jay’s sake, focus on deaths. Not the sheer number of cases; else, you’ll go insane. That’s why I said in the how many Covid cases at peak in India poll in this forum, when USA hit 2M about three weeks ago, that there should be no doubt that we won’t blow past that number. Yet, there were the usual doubters. India will peak at many millions of cases (there already are but not in the official count) but as long as deaths remain manageable, despite even one due to poor management being too many, we will be lucky. That’s the way India works. Always has; sadly, it doesn’t change. I don’t think this virus has killed more than we lose to typhoid, influenza, dengue, malaria, cholera, etc. every year despite all the cures being available. This is different, so we will be lucky if lose as few as possible to this virus. I hope the millions of Gods and Goddesses we have will be kind to their billions of devotees.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Unfortunately in a state like Telangana even death numbers are mis reported. There may easily be a 1000 extra deaths there
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

jayakris wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:42 am
Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:59 am Let's be honest then; without a lockdown and knowing the apathy of state governments (who will blame the centre when things go wrong), we will have no peak in infections. Expect 50k cases/day by end of July and 100k/day by end of August assuming we can test that many.
Tough to say, but I don't see us growing much past 30 to 35K at the current linear rate of increase in daily additions. Neither do I see us getting more than 50-60K any time soon (if at all).
Sounds like you have lost faith as well over the past 24 hours.

Atithee, deaths are a function of number of cases and at this point, it is a matter of when we start hitting 100k cases daily.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:37 pmSounds like you have lost faith as well over the past 24 hours.
Not really. Just got rattled a bit :) ... Notice that, even with a 1000 over my expectation for MAH today, we are still only hitting about +28K. All that Maharashtra will do is to delay the inflection point that is coming. And it is still all about Thane and Pune. How much more can they grow? (The rest of MAH is growing but not so badly). What I was talking about was generally on the basis of the city areas left, and I still feel what I said above is going to happen. Maybe a week later possibly. Maharashtra came and screwed up my happiness this week. They may do that next week too. Otherwise, we were looking at reaching an inflection point within 1 to 2 weeks... Not sure how long Maharashtra can keep adding 1000-1500 extra to their previous week's peak, every week. I suspect not for long, even with all the bad testing. I mean, a lot of people are infected in western Maharashtra urban areas now, so it just has to flatten in MAH soon.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:37 pm Atithee, deaths are a function of number of cases and at this point, it is a matter of when we start hitting 100k cases daily.
Deaths usually lag the number of cases by about 6 weeks given the time taken by the person to die and the reports to be coming, etc. Expect the U.S. deaths to go up soon too.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Countries reporting the most new COVID-19 cases per million people last week - the middle east continues to flare, and South Africa has joined this sad party

Bahrain
Oman
Panama
Qatar
South Africa
Kuwait
Brazil
Armenia
USA
Chile
Israel
Bolivia
Saudi Arabia
Peru
Kosovo
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Now Amitabh Bachhan has tested positive! Can the uninformed and stubborn Maharashtra politicians and officials pick up the phone and talk to experts, to figure out how to save the state?

Actually, just talk to one Mr. Himanta Biswa Sarma in Dispur. You don't need to talk to anybody else. (Or come to this forum, and talk to all of us :) )

Thanks to Himantabhai testing the hell out of Guwahati and dropping the numbers in 10 days, we did not cross 28K today, despite the ignorant leaders and officials in Maharashtra doing everything to make it happen.

We finished with less than yesterday's number, with 27,754
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Yesterday they reconciled around 700 cases in Pune. That led to Maharashtra numbers going above 800. Fact however is Thane and Pune are totally out of control. I wonder even for Mumbai is there a big reconciliation round the corner?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Thanks for confirming that. That was my suspicion, and was going to look through news articles to see if Maharashtra said anything.

I had felt that Pune should not be suddenly showing the kind of numbers they showed lately. Hopefully it is a numbers blip also. But it is spreading into other areas in the districts, so I wasn't expecting a big drop in Thane or Pune districts. Basically what we are seeing in places like Thane and Pune districts is a second wave, within the districts. This happens as it spreads from the thickly populated areas to other areas after opening up.

The cases in Thane itself is much less within the total for the district. I think Kalyan-Dombivli has more numbers now.

Here you can see the Maharashtra cases that they split up city-and divisions wise (multiple cities within each division is a district that)... https://www.republicworld.com/india-new ... -mark.html (click on the link at the end of the article)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

ICMR Testing Update: 11,587,153 total... Saturday tests: 280,151 .... Hope for no more than 28K tomorrow also, but I am sure it will go over that tomorrow :( ... Lab count update: +14 to +1194... Good.

The Sunday numbers start with a -392 (to 3024) in the Unassigned category.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

I have a feeling we are reaching the end as far as reconciliation of unassigned cases is concerned. Most of the rest could be Telengana cases that they would never admit. Whatever reconciliation would happen from here on in Maharashtra or Tamil Nadu would be cases hiding in Excel sheets.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and daughter are also positive, so tweets Abhishek Bachchan.

Meanwhile, a nice article on the ventilation matter - Ventilation key to mitigating Covid-19 risk (Sanchita Sarma, Hindustan Times)

And, call him whatever names you want (and I know Prasen has all kinds of choice names for him :) ), but Yogi Adityanath is handling the testing matter with absolute aplomb in our most populous state. He ordered 50K tests a day in UP, and they have raised testing from 24K just a week ago to 49K today. In one week. Can you believe that they had a 2.8% positivity in UP today. Raised the tests from 42K yesterday to 49K today (of course, the national record so far), and got about the same positives at 1384 today.

So increasing the testing is not that impossible to do. This is what Uddhav needed to do in Maharashtra two months ago. Can somebody please tell the slow-poke in our second most populous state, on what he needs to do? This is ridiculous to make Maharashtrians suffer like this (and the whole country.