Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

Post by Kumar »

Good article on current vaccine status!

Why are we not using domestic vaccine producers to manufacture covaxin?

https://www.republicworld.com/world-new ... tions.html

I think india should consider emergency approval for J&J as well and not try to do bridge study
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by suresh »

Kumar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:44 am I think india should consider emergency approval for J&J as well and not try to do bridge study
Your prayers have been answered. India to fast-track emergency-use approval for foreign-produced Covid vaccines
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

India rides in to rescue J&J from wasted inventory after Australia backs out of buying the J&J vaccine.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/13/austral ... ccine.html

I thought India was the vaccine manufacturing powerhouse that had 60% of the world's manufacturing capacity.

https://m.economictimes.com/news/intern ... 046230.cms
Last edited by jai_in_canada on Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

suresh wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:58 am
Kumar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:44 am I think india should consider emergency approval for J&J as well and not try to do bridge study
Your prayers have been answered. India to fast-track emergency-use approval for foreign-produced Covid vaccines
Wow! That is awesome! J&J could potentially have some of the same issues as astrazaneca! But hopefully they have already started manufacturing locally
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

jai_in_canada wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:16 am India rides in to rescue J&J from wasted inventory after Australia backs out of buying the J&J vaccine.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/13/austral ... ccine.html

I thought India was the vaccine manufacturing powerhouse that had 60% of the world's manufacturing capacity.
I think SII was brave enough to manufacture astrazaneca before approval! We may be in much worse shape otherwise! I think all those countries with much lower covid cases can afford to choose the vaccine! Unfortunately,, that is not the case for india now

Wish, we had started manufacturing lines for JJ as soon as ir was approved in US! Potentially NOVAVaxx could be rolled out by SIi soon(it is yet to be approved abroad though, expected approval in 2nd quarter)
depleter
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by depleter »

Novavax has yet get the nod From both US and UK(UK by may be end of this month while US by early next month.). Did it get the nod from any other specified countries??
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

suresh wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:58 amYour prayers have been answered. India to fast-track emergency-use approval for foreign-produced Covid vaccines
Good move. Just get it all out there. Let all vaccine makers everywhere (in India and abroad) ramp up productions, and let anybody who can afford imported vaccines take it. Too many people are dying, for all these know-it-alls to talk about side effects and blood clots and all that BS. (And I notice Dr. Kang conveniently changing tune and saying "efficacy doesn't matter" now. We haven't forgotten, Doctor, your statements on Covaxin's efficacy!)

I have a classmate of mine from IITM who is in Kochi who was told that he cannot take Covishield or Covaxin because he is allergic to penicillin and crustacean meat. I believe Pfizer does not have this issue, but he can't get it in India. Now, hopefully Pfizer and Moderna will send some to India for those who can afford them.

My wife went to India a couple of weeks ago (just before California opened it up for her age group). She thought she could get a vaccine in India for being over 45. But due to doubts on whether she would be able to get a second shot before returning in 6 weeks time, she didn't take one. She can't come back to the US and get a second shot of either of the Indian vaccines. So she is stuck there and getting scared with all the cases all around. If single-shot J&J (or Pfizer/Moderna) were available in India, she would run out now and take it!
depleter

Post by depleter »

WTH......with the current rate those numbers will only be enough for 10-12 days. That's an obvious shortage right there.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

depleter wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:08 pmWTH......with the current rate those numbers will only be enough for 10-12 days. That's an obvious shortage right there.
I hope he made a mistake. That is 36.8M doses. Yeah, enough for just over 10 days. What about the last week of April then??

Anyway, this is not the doses in stock or anything. Or may be it doesn't include what is to be supplied by end of next week by the manufacturers. I think he was just stating what is scheduled right now, to be sent to the states. They had better send it to the states by the end of this week and schedule another 25M doses to be sent by the end of next week for the last week of April. I am sure they will. But come on, these guys need to realize that people are observing closely what they say.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

I am on a call with an expert :D . But his opinion is that India will be vaccinating minimum 6m people in June. Problem is what do we do with these capacities once the vaccination program is over in two years. Raw material is not a problem. Hope some of what he says is true. Minimum 6m a day would make me very happy.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Omkara wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:30 pmI am on a call with an expert :D . But his opinion is that India will be vaccinating minimum 6m people in June. Problem is what do we do with these capacities once the vaccination program is over in two years.
Oh no... Vaccinations on this, most probably, are not going to end in 2 years. It will go on and on with booster shots every 6 months and all that. Maybe for several years or for ever! This category of virus is here to stay with its mutations. Let us get the first vaccine in and reduce the case count and deaths. But Covid isn't going away that soon. The program of making vaccines that handle mutations will continue. Annual or biannual vaccinations will need to go on for a while, if not for ever.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

So you agree the end will be that one fine day, the virus just vanishes..... Till then it will keep coming back in some form or the other....
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Kumar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:20 am I think all those countries with much lower covid cases can afford to choose the vaccine! Unfortunately,, that is not the case for india now
So this just broke now. The US FDA is also calling for a pause in the use of the J&J vaccine.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56733715

Great news for India, isn't it? Now they can get even more vaccines that others don't want. 🙄

So much for the theory that only countries with low case counts have the luxury to pick and choose the vaccines for the citizens. Whereas for India, heck, jab whatever you can get your hands on.
Last edited by jai_in_canada on Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

jayakris wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:38 pm
Omkara wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:30 pmI am on a call with an expert :D . But his opinion is that India will be vaccinating minimum 6m people in June. Problem is what do we do with these capacities once the vaccination program is over in two years.
Oh no... Vaccinations on this, most probably, are not going to end in 2 years. It will go on and on with booster shots every 6 months and all that. Maybe for several years or for ever!
Yup. And they're already setting expectations that vaccines alone will not end this pandemic.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/id ... da6b0acb3f

I love how it went from "3 week lockdown will flatten the curve" in March 2020, to "we have to rush the vaccine to get back to normal" in December 2020, to "hey, don't be expecting that this will end when every one is vaccinated" in Apr 2021. 🙄

Good for Big Pharma shareholders.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Guys, wake up and smell the coffee. Stop getting caught up in the latest frenzied theories. Step back and look at the evolution of the messaging. Tell me that there hasn't been Incredible incompetence and dishonesty. So suddenly now the powers that be know what they're doing and are being honest with us? This vaccine boondoggle is going to be a worldwide scandal. Mark my words. And the virus tsunami waves will keep on coming.

P.S. Jay, I need one of your pick-me-ups again!!😳