sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:14 pm
Gosh, these medical people with no sense of proportionality on risks, are just killing the world with stupid ideas like closing the malls and all. Close places where people sit and stay put for more 15 or 20 minutes an hour and touch the same places with high probability. Open everything else!
Theaters likely to remain closed for long time. Film industry in India will have to change it's model and produce films/other content meant for web platforms for some time.

You see any chance of any international sports happening thus year ?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

This "Unassigned" state is getting pretty bad. Another +439 to start the Sunday count. Already 2338 cases and it has three times the cases that Kerala has. What the hell? If these are military cases, they need to do something to put a stop to this!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:47 amYou see any chance of any international sports happening thus year?
I doubt it. Not too much of it, anyway. Maybe some football friendlies which are one-off events will happen with some social distancing in the stands?

Cricket, with the single ball getting into the open hands of multiple people within a short period, is a dangerous game. I can imagine one infected person giving it to 5 or 6 others easily within a couple of hours. Wiping sweat off the face etc will keep happening. Just asking the bowlers not to use saliva is not going to help much at all.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Badminton federation has announced na new schedule that has 22 tournaments in 5 months. Our players have started cribbing already.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Should be a sub 6000 maybe even a sub 5500 day with West Bengal not in a position to declare numbers. Delhi numbers seem to have stabilized and are showing a downward trend. Is it a result of the 45 degree heat?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

rajitghosh wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:04 am Should be a sub 6000 maybe even a sub 5500 day with West Bengal not in a position to declare numbers. Delhi numbers seem to have stabilized and are showing a downward trend. Is it a result of the 45 degree heat?
Why can't WB declare numbers? (I just got up, and don't know)

The Delhi downtrend could be because of fewer tests in the day. They tend to go up and down a but, unlike in TN where the tests numbers are very stable. Need to see test numbers from today for Delhi

Update: +765 in TN... 12,275 samples. 6.2% positivity. It is not rising or anything, so I'm ok with it.

+2259 by my count, with WB, MP, GUJ, MAH, TEL, UP and +RAJ to come.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Bengal is in pretty bad shape. Most roads are blocked due to trees and electric poles that have fallen. The Army and NDRF are busy clearing those. There is no electricity in many areas. Phone lines are patchy. People cannot move about. In this situation if they are still able to test then again it raises questions on the testing.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Yes, but they had two days of drops in test numbers on Thurday and Friday and had reported on a regular 9K tests' numbers on Saturday. Why would they suddenly become much worse to not even report anything today. That is why I was puzzled. EDIT: I guess it is possible that the sunday numbers were simply late tests from the previous days and nothing may be there from Friday to report today. Or maybe only very few... You may be right.

Update: +3041 in MAH. There goes any hope for a smaller day. Fully expected, and exactly what happens when you don't test. Deaths: 58. At least that isn't increasing, as a fraction of new or active cases. Dropping rather quickly.

+5402 for India with GUJ, MP, UP, etc still to come. May hit 6800 or something today.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

MAH testing numbers. 362,862 total. That is 14,836 tests today (down from the 15.2K yesterday). 3041 positives, so the daily positivity goes back up to 20.5 again. I was really hoping to see a 17K today. They still aren't doing the job on this, or they are quarantining and observing so well that they don't need anything better than 20% to contain this.

Update: +1725 to 30542 seems to the state's number for Mumbai. So +1316 outside Mumbai in MAH, which is a big number!

But I am pretty sure that BMC has managed to contain it in Dharavi. That place has clearly shown a peak and the daily additions is dropping. Only 27 cases today, to add to 1541 in Dharavi. So it is 1.8% growth rate. Good job, Mumbai.

Update: +15 PUN. Things are still quiet up there. Nice.
Update: +19 in UK (night update) for a +73 to 317. Big jump today in Uttarakhand :(
Update: +13 in JH
Update: +52 in J&K
Update: +208 in WB, so hats off to WB for getting it done even with all the trouble there. (+3 deaths)
Update: +394 in GUJ (+29 deaths. Still at 7.4%... GUJ still cannot handle that part. Learn from Maharashtra, idiots!)

+6103 by my count for India, with MP, TEL, UP and +RAJ to come.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

My parents have not had water for two days+. I guess when you do not have electricity and water for days, then people are not testing or even working. A lot of them are protesting on the streets and the army has been called in to maintain law and order.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

prasen9 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:57 pmMy parents have not had water for two days+. I guess when you do not have electricity and water for days, then people are not testing or even working. A lot of them are protesting on the streets and the army has been called in to maintain law and order.
Hope things get better soon. It is so surprising that they still got all these tests done. Wow.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Thousands of old trees have been uprooted. They fell on the electric lines. And without electric, water cannot be pumped. A lot of roads are just unusable in Kolkata and a lot of the trees have fallen on cars and buses making them unusable. There has never been a storm like this. I am not sure but I get the feeling that the national media has ignored this. Which will stoke the separatists, who claim that the northeast and east are seen as step-children. It may take 58 days to cut the trees and clear the roads Hopefully the NRDF can put in a lot more manpower and clear things to make the city work again.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Yeah, when Modiji made a visit immediately on Friday to WB, I knew this was bad. The national media is completely ignoring it, but I was seeing all the destruction in the tweet pictures on ANI.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Cyclone Vardah which was of similar intensity but carried much less rain uprooted so many trees on campus. My estimate then was that it would take 25 years to regain the tree cover. Water logging complicates things in WB -- power supply cannot be switched on if power lines have fallen down as people might get electrocuted. If there is no power, pumping water becomes an issue. I think even in WB, the electricity board should be able to handle these issues -- might be a wee bit slower but will happen. 58 days to cut trees sounds way too pessimistic to me.

@prasen9 Hope things get sorted out for your folks soon.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Update: +41 in Telengana.
Update: +86 night update from BIH for +203 for the day to 2597 in the state
Update: +31 more in ASM
Update: +134 in RAJ for +286 in the day
Update: +286 in MP

+6783 now, with UP to come. Will probably cross 7000 today.