Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: Coronavirus SARS-Cov2 (COVID-19)

Post by Kumar »

Kumar wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:44 am As of September 1st monring.
Covishield 570.3 (159 million in August
Covaxin 78.5 (22.5 million In August)
Sputnik 0.749
As of sep 12th morning

Covishield 647.1 million (76.8m this month - projected almost 210 million per month).
Covaxin 85.9 million (7.4 million. Projected 20 million)
Sputnik 0.838

Really surprised by covishield numbers. Not sure if there was a release indicating that they will hit 200 million per month this soon. Was hoping Covaxin numbers would be around 25 million, but looks unlikely. Still we never know.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Kumar wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:43 pm A CDC study of serological survey showed almost 36% of COVID patients did not have antibodies at 3 weeks.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/9/21-1042_article
The above study is very interesting. It is a very small sample size. IIRC, we observed this behavior with our own Suresh. So iF India had 65% exposure based on serosurvey and sero survey does not detect 36% cases, approx 84% of our population has been exposed :D
I have given up on trying to understand the numbers these days... Too much of cross-interactions to make a clear sense. The general conclusion I reach is that vaccines are not as great as I once thought they would be (for stopping the spread or waves), but that they are indeed helping. And helping quite a bit. I also conclude that sero-positivity was never much of a useful stat to make judgements on anything or to predict/expect infection levels (especially so, after vaccinations started).

Covid is just going to be around for a while... Maybe another year more as a disease that people will keep talking about... But hopefully in another 3 or 4 months, most countries will have some 40 or 50% people with two doses and at least 60-70% with one dose (and many ciountries with a lot of booster recipients too). The death numbers will all be fairly low (around 0.3% or so, I am going to guess), and we will all decide to move on.

Basically the world is now moving on, for most purposes, and only international travel needs to open up now.

Not sure when the countries will realize that there is no longer much of a point in staying shut to the rest of the world anymore, as the number of people traveling is all pretty small compared to the number of people who already have the disease in the countries, who can start off waves anyway. You don't need international travelers to do that. Hope everybody sees this, and drops all this BS about travel bubbles and all that. No point.

It is just another disease. A pretty bad one, but one that we just need to live with.

Test well, watch the numbers closely, and institute lockdowns etc locally, as needed. But move on with our lives! Let the doctors handle the disease when people come down with it, like all other diseases. If people aren't dumb en masse in entire towns (the US situation in areas controlled by an anti-vaccine majority), there will no longer be the kind of hospital care issues under a semi-vaccinated regime, unlike the issues we had in the earlier waves.

Speaking of that, are we ever going to have a therapeutic medicine developed for this? Is the expensive monoclonal antibody treatment all we will ever have? No chance for a medicine? Some 20 months into it, there is still no good news on medicines...
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by suresh »

Big States 12/9/2021 Sunday

KL - 20240 (from 116K tests and TPR of 17.5%)
MH - 3623
TN - 1608
AP - 1190
MZ - 1089
KA - 803
WB - 751
AS - 259 (from only 32K tests. This is a steep drop from the 100K they were doing until recently)
MN - 195

Total - 29758

I expect around 32K cases today. We had 39537 cases last Sunday and so the seven day average will drop by around 1000.

(The Telegram handle for India Covid19 Updates is shutting down for a couple of days as the admins are busy.)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Kerala had only 35.6% RATs in today's 115,575 tests... TPR was 17.51%, a bit more than the 17.17 the last Sunday, but my adjusted TPR is only 20.71, much below the 22.42 on last Sunday (then it was 47% RATs).

I still think that this is basically the drop in actual case load (with the usual 10-15% reduction on Sundays and maybe 25-30% expected reduction on Monday). We should see around 14 to 18K tomorrow, 17K to 21K on Tuesday and 19-23K on Wednesday, which should be the next week's peak in Kerala. Hopefully no more than 16K by next Sunday. A week ago, I was hoping for 24K for today but Kerala went well below it to 20K.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Hey, we did over 5M vaccinations today, which is some 60% more than our normal, and the most ever on a Sunday... Good start for the new week!
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

The next few weeks are big to see how well we do second dose. We need to do approx 75 million( i am using cowin which tracks weekly data saturday thru Friday.

So far we hve done 4.8 second doses out of 12.9 million total doses for thsis week (37%). My hooe is that we will hit 20 million for remaining 5 days and reach 25 million.

More and More, I am thinking that we will be happy to get 75% of the people vaccinated with second dose. One of my friends had mentioned that lot of people in india had side effects after first dose which was typically not the case in western countries.. Not sure if it was true. If that is true, that could potentially play a role.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Kumar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:47 pm One of my friends had mentioned that lot of people in india had side effects after first dose which was typically nit the case in western countries.. Not sure if it was true. If that is true, that could potentially play a role.
I have to think that it is nothing but a rumor. I have not seen any reputable outlets mentioning that there is any evidence for that. In fact one thing that we have found all through this pandemic is that genetics of the people does not seem to play much of a role in anything. Minor effects may be there, but that is it.

Could people be confusing the body reaction to the second shot, as compared to the first shot, as "side-effects"? Maybe there is a stronger second shot reaction for AstraZeneca than for Pfizer/Moderna second shots? That kind of stuff is possible.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

We had +31.4K today, from about 1576K tests at 1.99%... The deaths were much fewer, at 219... The seven-day average fell by another 1158 to 35,930... Not bad. Keep going down, Kerala, keep going!...

See the daily updates for today... As I was showing at the bottom every day for a while, the cases outside Kerala have been going down and down... Only about 11K now... Actually, only 9K to 10K, outside of Kerala and 4 Northeast states (actually three now, as Meghalya is almost out of trouble; but Mizoram is still pretty bad)... You can see that the TPR outside of these states has shown almost no uptick in any of the states for a long time now, and it has been under 0.75 for quite a while.

-------------------
ICMR Update: 543,014,076 total tests... Sunday tests: 1,208,247... Lab count: 2941
suresh

Post by suresh »

Kumar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:47 pm One of my friends had mentioned that lot of people in india had side effects after first dose which was typically not the case in western countries.. Not sure if it was true. If that is true, that could potentially play a role.
I really doubt if this is true. I have not heard of any statistical evidence showing this. Anecdotally, people have fewer reaction to the second dose.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

I had stronger reaction to the first dose compared to the second. And I had Covaxin. And maybe I am talking off topic ???
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

A large number of people I know have had fever after the 1st dose but nothing after the 2nd dose.
srini

Post by srini »

I had 2 doses of Covaxin and had same level of mild fever both times.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I guess we don't know any reason why people would start rumors about more side effects on a second dose. But then that is what rumors are, most of the time. They are made with no facts, and sometimes for no reason either.

Meanwhile Kerala had only +15,058 today, from 91885 tests at 16.39%... That is about 4600 less than a week ago. It is all coming down - both the cases and the tests... Awaiting the bulletin, for the RAT ratio. Only 1853 hospitalizations reported today, which is the lowest since 21 days ago when there were 1647 two days after Onam (which was then followed by a rise to a 3100 just five days after Onam).
suresh

Post by suresh »

^^ I am annoyed that Kerala has reduced testing. They can't afford to do that as yet. Yes, TPR is going down but it remains well above 10%.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Big States 13/9/2021 Meagre Monday

KL - 15058
MH - 2591
TN - 1580
AP - 864
KA - 673
AS - 564
WB - 506
MZ - 541
MG - 226 (Meghalaya displaces Manipur today)

Total - 22603

I expect around 24K cases today. We had 30164 cases last Monday. So we might even see the seven day average drop by around 1000. Kerala is going back to its old ways of not testing enough on weekends. I suspect that Kerala will settle down again at 20K/day and then folks can continue telling us how great Kerala is with its low seropositivity and high vaccination levels. Since it is Kerala, we should count the number of cases as live vaccinations. :rant: