Gangnam style

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
kujo
Authors
Authors

Gangnam style

Post by kujo »

For the Korean aficionado in the forum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0 :)
Of course. Even if you can’t master the Korean verses, chant the chorus ‘Oppan Gangnam Style’ which roughly means something like ‘Your man has Gangnam Style.’

PS: Although ‘Oppa’ literally means ‘big brother,’ it is also a term girls use to address older boyfriends, or — gasp — sugar daddies. Don’t say we didn’t warn you!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Gangnam style

Post by jayakris »

kujo wrote:For the Korean aficionado in the forum.
I guess that would be me? ... Anyway, not sure where you found that quote from, but "oppa" does not mean "big brother". Just older (actual) brother or any older person with whom a girl or younger woman is close enough (whom she could call, say, to get a ride home after getting drunk at a restaurant). It's important to remember that it is a word used ONLY by females. In fact in schools and colleges, girls who are close enough as friends with senior male students to say go and have a group lunch together, would call any senior student "oppa". It doesn't have any such bad connotation as sugar daddy or anything...

The equivalent of "bro" (or an actual brother), used only by boys or men and not by any females, is "hyeong" (written as "hyung" by some who don't follow the official ministry-approved romanication, but the vowel "eo" is of the same sound as the Bengali "a" that sounds closer to "o" but not "o").

There is also a word for "big brother" which is "keun hyoeng", where the vowel "eu" is exactly the same vowel that would be added at the end when a tamilian or malayali says "thamizh", as pure dravidian words do not end in consonants.

The "n" added at the end of the word "oppa" is a subject particle showing that "oppa" is the subject of the sentence. Subject particles do not exist in Indian languages, if I am not mistaken (though we sometimes say stuff like "nan vandu" in tamil or "mei to" in hindi to stress the subject and essentially to convey something like "as for me" or "as far as I am concerened").

PSY didn't complete the sentence, but everybody takes it as he is saying "This oppa has kangnam style". In the subject-object-verb system of Korean, Japanese and Indian languages, he would need the verb at the end. The simplest form that does not require also an object-particle added to "style", would have been "Oppan Gangnam Style iya", where the ending verb "iya" is the same as the "hay" in Hindi ("This oppa IS gangnam style" :)).

But, had he completed the sentence, the song would not be even half as popular around the world, because a Korean's tongue simply cannot avoid making the "l" sound at the end into an "r" sound when followed by a vowel. That means you would hear "oppan gangnam stayiriya" - which does not make sense, and there would be no chance for the song to get popular abroad. I know PSY couldn't have thought of it because Koreans are just not aware (to a man!) of that detail about their tongues. So he got lucky.

Oh by the way, the starting "g" in the place name "gangnam" is the same "k" as in dravidian languages. A little softer than the samskrutam and hindi "k", may be. Exactly the same sound as in the placename "kannoor" in Kerala. The korean ministry chose the "g" sound to prevent people using the English "k" which is a noticeably harder sound than how Indians pronouce it (which was the reason why the Biritish did not use K to write Kolkatta when they heard the pace name). Gangnam is the south side of Seoul which has the the highest land prices and the most expensive highrise apartments.

Ok, just to bore the heck out of you, that is the full linguistic analysis of just the first line of "Oppan Gangnam Style". You asked for it, kujo :)

Jay
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Yep, I asked for it keun hyoeng and love the analysis! Not sure whether the Korean linguistic parts are 100% definitive but it certainly makes an interesting reading.... :)
But, had he completed the sentence, the song would not be even half as popular around the world, because a Korean's tongue simply cannot avoid making the "l" sound at the end into an "r" sound when followed by a vowel. That means you would hear "oppan gangnam stayiriya" - which does not make sense, and there would be no chance for the song to get popular abroad. I know PSY couldn't have thought of it because Koreans are just not aware (to a man!) of that detail about their tongues. So he got lucky.
Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Prashant »

Dorkiest thread in the long dorky history of Sports India :)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

You are on to something Prashant! Dorky and Sports are two words that never go together. Is sports-india the only dorky sports-forum in the world? ... Where people are dorky enough to wax uneloquent on God particle, Bernanke bluster, Shit from Indian trains and Korean linguistics right after posting "Hell yeah, go Nikibhai Panochawallah!", to some also-ran who won the first round qualies of a $10K in Zimbabwe.

It only takes a few dorks like me, to make it happen, I know...

Jay
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

jayakris wrote:You are on to something Prashant! Dorky and Sports are two words that never go together. Is sports-india the only dorky sports-forum in the world? ... Where people are dorky enough to wax uneloquent on God particle, Bernanke bluster, Shit from Indian trains and Korean linguistics right after posting "Hell yeah, go Nikibhai Panochawallah!", to some also-ran who won the first round qualies of a $10K in Zimbabwe.

It only takes a few dorks like me, to make it happen, I know...

Jay
We apparently even cheer those who enter $10 tournaments!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I did a little bit of reading. Korean seems to be a language isolate. There is no firm evidence that links it totally to the Indian languages.

Here is a discussion on Korean-Tamil links. http://www.topix.com/forum/world/sri-la ... 05TBQ5051N
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes Korean is listed as a language isolate, but Korean is also the language that would come up as the closest to Dravidian languages in the world, based on several indices on language affinity. How and why it happened is anybody's guess.

It is not just the words that are the same between Korean and Dravidian languages (that stuff that can happen with minimal exchanges). The structure, sounds, and many many other aspects of the languages are amazingly similar - and I have noticed a lot more things than what people are aware of, in linguistic research on this (I have spent considerable time on it too, as a hobby). Tamil/Malayalam and Sanskrit have entirely different structures. So do Chinese and Korean. But Korean and Tamil/malayalam is another matter.

How could this happen other than through serious migration of people? When did it happen? Who knows! Quite possible that it was even before sanskrit and chinese developed. May be even 5, 10, or 15K years back when some proto language existsed out in the wide world - but hardly much evidence remains in the world for what happened that far back!

The reason why Korean-Dravidian connection is not studied enough has to do with academic politics in Korea (dominance of those who want to study the more recent Chinese-korean connection) along with academic ignorance in India.

Jay