Forum members get together to play...

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Forum members get together to play...

Post by gbelday »

Thanks, Suresh. I've been working with a strength trainer (who is also a runner) for the past couple of months and he's done wonders. I trained only once a week with him (can't afford more than that :)). I no longer have the IT band issue or the shin splints. I also changed shoes which seemed to have helped quite a bit.

I did complete the NYC marathon. I wanted to go under 5hrs but crawled a bit towards the end (finished in 5:13 which is 6 min faster than my Philly marathon race). It's not the easiest of the courses (mile 15 is a good 1 mile incline on the Queens borough bridge) and then the last two miles in Central Park are rolling hills. There were quite a few inclines along the way. I did run all the way (no walking breaks at all) and I felt fine this past week. The experience has been incredible though (unlike any other run that I did in the past). 54k runners from 139 countries and so many folks cheering along the away. The weather was perfect too. The only thing that I'll complain about is the wait time before the start. We checked in at 6:30am and the race (for my corral) didn't start until 11am. But I was with a good group of friends and we had a great time. My family also came in to cheer us (at mile 18 and then at 22) and that definitely gave me a boost. This was once race that I wanted to do and I am so glad that I was able to. Also, the results show the country initials IND next to my name which is quite cool, lol.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Gautam, great job! Congratulations for completing yet another marathon. ! :notworthy: Marathon is ultimately a marathon - a test of fitness, endurance and mental strength that requires lot of self motivation and full dedication. And any time you do a marathon, whether it is your 1st, 2nd or 10th, it is once again a great accomplishment.

I'm astonished that you did FM without walking breaks. I'd even take walking breaks in 10K. As I said, completing a marathon by itself is a great accomplishment, and you did it in 5:13 which is pretty good time. Although I've done a marathon under 5 earlier (to my surprise), but I'll take it if I can do another one even at 5:20.
54k runners - OMG! I've seen 17-18k runners during my 10K in Austin and that looks like a sea of runners. I can't imagine 54k runners. Sure, the atmosphere is really great in these races.

I'm also signed up for my second marathon and first Houston marathon (Jan 17) and just started training. Should have started training at least a month back, but let's see how it goes. Trying to motivate myself for the rigor of training. Only if I could be as dedicated as Suresh - everything would be so much easier.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Great news Gautam. 5:13 is a good time. Interesting to hear that you did not take walking breaks. Nothing wrong with taking them -- the winner of the women's segment of the Comrades Marathon (90K) took walking breaks while refuelling! So walking up a stiff incline is not so bad -- when I do hill repeats I walk up the steepest segment as that is faster than running due to the longer stride.

@Ajay You can be as dedicated as me if you give yourself sustainable targets. For instance, run 3 times a week (need not be 5 like me). I am sure your old pace will come back soon.
punarayan

Post by punarayan »

Gautam, Sorry for the belated congratulations on completing the NYC marathon in 5:13:26 - I saw you name in the NYTimes, marathon section with bib #45! Truely, a great achievement. I had a half a mind of making it into the City to see you run, but I realized, I would never recognize you in that throng. This is inspirational - maybe I will stretch and go for a long walk! Keep running and throw in some tennis!
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Thanks a lot Narayan! It was great fun but am not sure I'll do it again, lol. Also, my time was just below the 5:20 cutoff to make it into the NY Times that day! Oh and 45 is my age, not the bib number :) I think those first 100 bin numbers are reserved for the elite folks!

I started playing some tennis now that the long runs are over! Not easy coming back after not playong for over 3+ months! I hope to see you soon! Take care!
bujilover
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by bujilover »

It has been a while here. Quick couple of updates.

1.I am training for the BOfA Chicago Marathon(Oct 9) and wanted to gain some tips from all of you that have done a FM. I am concerned about the proper diet that is required pre and post running. I eat very less or normal and I feel I run faster if I am hungry LOL. Besides that ,I hydrate myself at about a gallon/day. Please share your valuable insights as part of your training plan.

2.This one is a biggie. I am actually doing a Charity run(for one of the research teams from my school,UIC, that is working on finding alternatives for Diabetes in the place of Insulin.) I would be thankful for my life if you guys donate some and support me on this social cause. I have appended the link here. Dinesh Rajangam- Chicago Marathon
suresh

Post by suresh »

Best of luck Dinesh. I have never run a FM and hence cannot help you out on that front. Gautam (Belday) and Ajay have! You have been training consistently and will be in good shape to easily go under 4h.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Vatsal reached the final of the Goa State Tennis championship last week. He beat the second seed along the way. Congratulations to Vatsal and hope he goes one better next time around.
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

Thanks a lot Suresh Sir! :D
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Congrats Vatsal! Way to go!!! :clap:
Varma

Post by Varma »

Congratulations, Vatsal! Good luck for the finals!

- Varma
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Varna, the way suresh wrote it looks like Vatsal lost in the final
Varma

Post by Varma »

Omkara wrote:Varna, the way suresh wrote it looks like Vatsal lost in the final
Sorry, I think I misread the last sentence of Suresh's post :(. Very impressive run, nevertheless!

Way to go, Vatsal!

- Varma
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

Thanks a lot everyone! :D

I lost in the final 0-6 2-6 to Tejas Shevde(He has an ITF Juniors career high ranking of around 1300 I think).

Incidentally, I had dropped just 2 games until the final, while Tejas had dropped 3. But that doesn't matter haha. He was too good on Finals Day!
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

BoA Chicago Marathon 2017

Post by ajay »

Reviving this thread with the news that I and Suresh, along with another friend Venkat from Singapore, are going to run BOA Chicago marathon On Oct 8th. Any SI member in Chicago to cheer us? :) Especially for Suresh as he is coming from India to run his first ever Marathon.

Yes, this will be first for Suresh after running umpteen half marathons. But he is set to make his first entry with a bang. Look for a a sub 4:30 timing from Suresh. I'll be running my 4th marathon. First time outside Texas. All my previous three marathons have been sub 5:00 and I'll be fighting to maintain my record.

Here is an appeal for some charity. We (me, suresh and Venkat) have set up a fundraiser: Asha for Education dedicated to change in India by focusing on basic education to the underprivileged children in India. Will appreciate any contribution from SI forum friends.

By the way another marathoner from this forum, Dinesh ( bujilover ) did the Chicago marathon last year in an incredible time of 4:00:38. Dinesh, sorry missed your achievement last year. Here is my late congratulation for that incredible achievement. Have you been running lately? And what about Gautam? Did you run after NYC marathon?