Forum members get together to play...

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Forum members get together to play...

Post by Sin Hombre »

Congrats Dinesh! How old are you if I may ask? (says 26 in the profile)
Ayush1234567 wrote:
bujilover wrote:
Ayush1234567 wrote:I will be running the Surat Marathon,I will Post the official Results.
Sohra run results?
The committee is not replying but I will prove myself at the Surat Marathon.

No Ayush ran in the Surat marathon either unsurprisingly. There is an Ayush for the HM but he ran with a time of >4.5 hours; our friend here can run 1.5 marathons in his mind in that time.
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by gbelday »

VReddy wrote:Wow thanks for that message. I am stunned that you remember my first name, Gautam!

Hope you are doing good (in the East Coast IIRC) :)
Ofcourse Vishnu! I remember almost all of the old timers (although you are one of the younger ones :)) I am in Hyderabad this week on some work. Telangana is such a mess. I am very disappointed with the conditions here. I'll elaborate more later.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Sin Hombre wrote:Congrats Dinesh! How old are you if I may ask? (says 26 in the profile)
Thanks mate! Yes I'm 26 now.
Kothai

Post by Kothai »

Congratulations Dinesh.. :):)

Gautam... How many days are you going to be in India?? PM me so that I can share my mobile number for a chat.. or if you come into Chennai let me know we can meet up...

Kothai
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Congratulations, Dinesh. All the best for your move into the field of business analytics (not sure if its a move or further specialization for you)! A great field to specialize in.

Gautam: Nice to see that you are in Hyd. I am curious to chat about your experience now! :).
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Thanks Kothai and Vikram!

I have got another admit from UIC's (University of Illinois at Chicago) Liautaud School of Business yesterday :D I'm gonna have to wait for a couple of weeks for my other application updates and take a decision!

Vikram , I'm indeed making a transition to BI field since it could be the future. Even Gautam works in the same field :-)
suresh

Post by suresh »

Ran the HM on Sunday at the beautiful trail alongside a canal from the Kaveri/Cauvery river -- this is the Kaveri Trail Marathon. The start was 6:30am possibly due to the fact that one cannot run it in the dark. It meant that the sun was bearing down during most of the run. That was mitigated by a nice cool breeze and humidity was a lot lower than Chennai. It made for a very nice smooth run and I finished in 2:01:20 (as per my watch) -- half-way split was 1:00:20. I have no regrets on not going under 2h though I had a chance but my legs didn't cooperate in the last 2K.
punarayan

Post by punarayan »

I wanted to share some nice news - my 55+ 8.0 tennis team came first in the USTA Eastern Sectionals last weekend, in Westchester, NY, qualifying us to make a journey to Pheonix AZ at the end of October to play the Nationals. Us old hackers have been pursuing this Holy Grail for the past 25 years. Whether we win or not will not make much of a difference, but the idea of going is enough. Spoken like a true loser! Actually, on the last day, we lost a match and needed someone to bail us out, by beating the competing team, and the team from Long Island did, which was mostly comprised of Indians! I promised to take them out in the future to an Indian lunch buffet!
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

:clap:
suresh

Post by suresh »

Narayan -- it is a great result to qualify. Competition is competitive at all age levels and it is an accomplishment. Congratulations to you and your team. Now make some noise in Arizona.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

punarayan wrote:I wanted to share some nice news - my 55+ 8.0 tennis team came first in the USTA Eastern Sectionals last weekend, in Westchester, NY, qualifying us to make a journey to Pheonix AZ at the end of October to play the Nationals.
Congratulations Narayan! (I guess with you as a player,your team would be more of 9.0 than 8.0 ;) ) Anyway, its great result to win the Sectionals and move on to the Nationals. Wish you good luck.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

suresh wrote:Ran the HM on Sunday at the beautiful trail alongside a canal from the Kaveri/Cauvery river -- this is the Kaveri Trail Marathon. The start was 6:30am possibly due to the fact that one cannot run it in the dark. It meant that the sun was bearing down during most of the run. That was mitigated by a nice cool breeze and humidity was a lot lower than Chennai. It made for a very nice smooth run and I finished in 2:01:20 (as per my watch) -- half-way split was 1:00:20. I have no regrets on not going under 2h though I had a chance but my legs didn't cooperate in the last 2K.
Suresh great result. Sorry I missed this result earlier as I had not been too active on the Runkeeper (as you would know). And I like your attitude. That's the way it should be - do your best and have fun. You have really started travelling and seeking interesting races. I like it. By the way I'm still hopeful that one day you'll also run a full marathon :) I've no doubt that you can do it and I'm sure you also know it, but I don't know how to get this thought in your mind and get you committed. :)
suresh

Post by suresh »

ajay wrote: Suresh great result. Sorry I missed this result earlier as I had not been too active on the Runkeeper (as you would know). And I like your attitude. That's the way it should be - do your best and have fun. You have really started travelling and seeking interesting races. I like it. By the way I'm still hopeful that one day you'll also run a full marathon :) I've no doubt that you can do it and I'm sure you also know it, but I don't know how to get this thought in your mind and get you committed. :)
Thanks Ajay. My official time turned out to be 2:00:53. Yes, I have a bucket list of interesting races to run and am doing them one by one. There is this race in Assam (Cherapunji) in a picturesque setting that I have my eye on -- one goes with one's family on vacation and sneak off to the race one morning. Two others are the Mumbai (awesome crowd) and Hyderabad (tough climbs) are on this list as well. I know you have been after me to run the full marathon -- after running in the US earlier this month where running 10 miles felt like running 10K in hot and humid Chennai, I feel that I should try the full marathon outside India if I ever get down to doing that. Sub 2h HM's will be regular for me in better weather. You are also right that I am concentrating on enjoying my races instead of worrying about targets.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

suresh wrote: Thanks Ajay. My official time turned out to be 2:00:53. Yes, I have a bucket list of interesting races to run and am doing them one by one. There is this race in Assam (Cherapunji) in a picturesque setting that I have my eye on -- one goes with one's family on vacation and sneak off to the race one morning. Two others are the Mumbai (awesome crowd) and Hyderabad (tough climbs) are on this list as well. I know you have been after me to run the full marathon -- after running in the US earlier this month where running 10 miles felt like running 10K in hot and humid Chennai, I feel that I should try the full marathon outside India if I ever get down to doing that. Sub 2h HM's will be regular for me in better weather. You are also right that I am concentrating on enjoying my races instead of worrying about targets.
Great stuff, Suresh. Sorry, meant to reply earlier but my phone was acting up. Cherapunji would be fun. I guess you love running in the rain :) Running around this time (Sept-Dec) is actually quite good here in the north east US. Jan-Mar is brutal and summers are terrible (have to run early mornings).
I can't get my pace up honestly. Did the newport/jersey city half two weeks ago and I clocked 2:11, which is slow. I did the same course in 2:06 last year. Getting old and not training right. I am running the NYC full in a few weeks (let's see if I stay injury free). Always have issues with my IT band. Not too optimistic about the time but I always wanted to run NYC. It's my home away from home. Talking about Hyderabad Half, yes, it is a very tough course from what I hear. I landed in Hyderabad on the day of the race (was too buzzed to even think of signing up) but I heard some post race comments from the participants on how tough the course is. Probably the toughest one in India.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Gautam, 2:11 is not too bad especially if you are going to run a FM next. Pacing oneself properly through the race is something one easily forgets when one is running irregularly. That usually shows up towards the end of the race. Also any given course behaves differently from day to day -- depends strongly on the weather conditions. Re. your IT band -- I had issues with that a few years back. I regularly do exercises to strengthen the IT band and now that issue rarely flares up. Good luck with NYC FM. Yes, Hyderabad is one of the tougher marathons in the country -- it starts off with a 8K uphill climb and then there are three more up/down segments. I will run that one some day.