Floods in Pakistan

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Floods in Pakistan

Post by gbelday »

I know that Pakistan is not one of our favorite topics here but I am appalled by their governement's response to flood relief. These floods have impacted 20% of Pakistan's population and I am truly saddended by some of the images and stories that I read (on CNN and in NYT). For humanity's sake, please open your wallets (if you haven't already done so) and donate to flood relief efforts. Redcross is always a safe bet if you are apprehensive about funds reaching the intended recipients.

Pretty sad Op-Ed in NYT today
A Lifetime, Washed Away
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Floods in Pakistan

Post by jaydeep »

Gautam, u r right we should give helping hand for humanity's sake (or at any case when such natural calamities happen across anywhere) ... But r Pakistan government ready to accept that?

May be u already read, Pakistan is still not deciding to accept India's aid proposal for their flood victims ... Unnecessary politics in this situation.
Brushing aside the United State's suggestion that it should accept India's aid offer for its flood victims, Pakistan on Thursday said it will do what it believes is 'right'.

The remarks came as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh called his Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Raza Gilani, offering more assistance to handle devastation caused by the deluge, the worst in 80 years.

The Pakistan government is considering India's aid proposal and no decision has been made in this regard, Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit told reporters in response to a question.

"We appreciate the gesture by India. Their offer has been conveyed to relevant authorities and the matter is under consideration," he said.

To another question about State Department spokesman P J Crowley's remarks that the US expects Pakistan to accept the aid from India, Basit said, "Pakistan is a sovereign country and we will take a decision according to what we believe is the right thing to do."
Flood-hit Pak yet to decide on India's aid offer
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Instead, what I read was that there is big propaganda going on in Pakstan that India caused this flood. God save that country.

Jay
simonmorrison23

Post by simonmorrison23 »

i just hope that they be able to rebuild whats destroyed. and able to withstand the on coming storms. proper preparations are needed to ensure safety.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

I guess cooler/sensible heads prevailed. Pakistan has finally decided to accept India's aid offer.

Pakistan accepts India’s offer, appeals for more aid
simonmorrison23

Post by simonmorrison23 »

i'm sure, after the disaster, it's a much stronger bond between the two nations will surface.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Ya, right! As Pakistan goes into a tailspin, the political machinery will escalate tensions against India in order to get the country together behind them and cause them to overlook their ineptness. Happened many times in many countries.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I read that Pakistan will accept Indian aid only through UN but not through direct means. I cannot believe the politicking of even an humanitarian matter. Feel bad for the affected people, but you reap what you sow.

It's time the people of Pakistan wake up to the fact that wasting their resources in fighting over Kashmir/Taliban/religious extremism has left them financially bankrupt with no hope of ever getting out of the mess. Pakistan has already been reduced to a welfare state that is 100% dependent on foreign aid. The sooner the people of Pakistan realize this and disown the political ideology, the better off they will be.
bhagatghavri

Post by bhagatghavri »

I hope that after the disaster, Pakistan rebuild own destroys. Everyone should contribute with money in dificult time.