Prominent Place

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
Steve98
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Prominent Place

Post by Steve98 »

Thrissur lies on the west end of Palakkad gap through the low pass between the Nilgiris and the Palani hills. It is the beautiful cultural capital of Kerala and a land of colourful festivals. Thrissur, an abbreviation of 'Tiru-Siva-Perur' or the town with the name of Lord Siva, is appropriately named. The central and the most important feature of this city is the Vadakkunath Kshetram (temple) where the reigning deity is Lord Siva. It is particularly famous for its annual Pooram festival (April-May).

Trichur India occupies a prominent place in the history and culture of Kerala and is said to be the Cultural Capital of the State. It is also one of the main trade centers in the state. The present Trichur District was carved out of a bigger District of the same name on 1st April 1958. It derives its name from the location of its headquarters at Trichur.

The name Trichur derives from 'Thrishivaperur' or the place with 'Lord Shiva's name’. The town is thus built around a hillock atop which is the Vadakkumnathan Kshetram or temple, which has Shiva as the presiding deity. Aadi Sankara is supposed to have spent his last days in this temple; a shrine dedicated to him lends credence to this belief.

Trichur rose in importance due, it is believed, to Raja Rama Varma, popularly known as 'Sakthan Thampuran' who ascended the throne of Kochi in 1790. The Zamorins of Kozhikode captured large areas of Trichur in the 14th and 15th centuries. Later, in the latter half of the 18th centuries, Tipu Sultan held sway over Trichur until the European domination began under the Portuguese, the Dutch, and the English.
Athirapally and Vazhachal Waterfalls

East of Chalakudy, near the entrance to the Sholayar forest ranges, are the beautiful waterfalls of Athirapally and Vazhachal, 5 km apart. These waterfalls are a place of scenic beauty, and are of 80 feet high.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Prominent Place

Post by jayakris »

Took a while for me to notice this.

Inline URLs meant to take folks to commercial sites are not encouraged here. So, I have edited out the URL Steve had, and reset it from the tour-package page, to a more informative wiki page on Thrissur. Those interested in the site that Steve was peddling, can PM him ...

Yes, Thrissur is a good place to visit, espeially when Pooram is on.

Your patient moderator, Jay
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Prominent Place

Post by prasen9 »

Cool! I was waiting to see the solution to this post which had both --- information and a marketing pitch. I was wondering why we were not seeing more and more of this. Not that I want more spam, but I see a lot more linkspam elsewhere but the trolls have not discovered this forum that much. Maybe the initial moderation of link-spam posts has discouraged the hordes. Or maybe this forum is in a small cove hidden at the end of a jungle in a small island in Internet-world and thus difficult to reach. Thank you very much Jay for the patient moderation.