This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Doc's Near Death Experience

Post by BSharma »

Doc's Near Death Experience:

Saturday the tenth of January 2009 was an ordinary day. My wife and I were volunteer judges at a high school debate tournament. We returned home in the evening and my wife got on her laptop computer to do her office work while I sat next to her on the sofa to do my office work. An hour later, I began to sweat profusely and it was cold sweat. I did not have chest pain but my pulse was weak. I asked my wife to call 911, which she did. I consider my wife to be a lot smarter than me and she also called my Primary Care Physician and family friend. The ambulance, fire brigade and my PCP reached my house at the same time. EKG confirmed a right posterior myocardial infarction. My PCP called our common friend and cardiologist who immediately called his partner who was on call. By the time the ambulance reached the hospital where I work, both the cardiologists were in the hospital and ready to take me straight to the cardiac catheterization lab to do an angioplasty (I told you my wife is smarter than me).

I remember going into the cardiac cath lab and the cardiologist saying that one stent is in. Soon after I heard the technician shouting V-tach (the heart starts beating very fast but is not able to pump blood). Chest compression was started and cardioversion (electrical shock to the heart) was done to get my heart under control. This is a potentially fatal heart rhythm.

Mean while, when I heard V-tach, I found myself somewhere in the sky standing in front of a 50 feet tall door made of silver. It was totally dark, there was no one else present and I could see the silver door gleaming in the darkness. The door was open and I was standing about 5 feet from it. For some reason, I did not feel scared or afraid. Then I heard a clear commanding voice, "This-is-not-your-time." The door disappeared and I found myself in the hospital.

I will write later of my experience of having procedures done, which I was told was like going to hell and back. Although I was heavily sedated and was given medicines to not make me remember things, I always remembered that commanding voice that my time had not come. I have been in the hospital in another city for over a month and should be discharged in a week or so. I will undergo another heart surgery in about a month. I am undergoing cardiac rehab and it involves 3 hours a day of physical training.

To be continued later ...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Doc's Near Death Experience

Post by jayakris »

A bit stunned, Bhshan, and soooo happy to see you back.

That was all of us together telling you it wasn't your time. More like your own mind telling you that you weren't ready for that stuff with all of us "Can you hear me now" crowd behind your wife and kids.

For like 2 or 3 weeks I was thinking of trying to find where you were, but thought you took some time off like you did a few month back.

Take rest, Bhushan. and get fully well fast. No more of 50 feet door business, OK?

Jay
Kothai

Post by Kothai »

Hi Doc,

Get well soon. Our prayers are with you.

Kothai
sanjay5goel

Post by sanjay5goel »

Glad to see that you are going to be fine doc. Hope to see you back in full flow on SI soon.

On a different note - your experience reiterates an important thing for all of us going through this installment of life's journey. It is a sad fact that all of us get too caught up with the externals of life and totally forget to try to make any efforts as to understand the meaning of life. In fact, in today's world there is hardly any chance that a person will even start to question about the reality of life.

If someone is fortunate enough (with God's grace) to reach a stage in life where he may be inclined to learn more about life itself, it is the greatest of fortunes and should be held with both hands and used for making some "actual" progress in this life.

If it pleases you doc you can please email me your address and I will send a couple books to read. I can be reached at 515-419-3966 or sanjay5goel@yahoo.com

Regards
Sanjay
shibi

Post by shibi »

That's an awesome experience Doc- the silvery door part. Glad you are fine and recovering fast. One thing that struck me was technician shouting V-tach, which to a normal patient may make no sense but for a doctor patient it makes him realise the gravity of the situation which could lead to worsening of the condition.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Totally shocked reading this ... Uncle, as Jay mentioned that voice u heard from all of us ... We all were screaming - 'This is (definitely) not your time!'

Me too were wondering where is our favourite doc? again on some nice cruise? And will share all that experience ... I m more than happy to see u back and forget about that 50 feet door, better concetrate on re-entering ur sweet home from 7 feet door.

Take rest and don't worry .. Right now improve ur health and comeback quickly with us on forum.

Jaydeep
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Get well Doc! You are a fortunate person and we are very happy to see you back in this forum.

I have some questions about your experience (later....). For one, how can this be? You are a doctor yourself with a healthy life style. You exercise and play tennis doubles quite often.

cheers
kujo
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Doc, I am elated and relieved to know that you are well. It is a shock to hear of experiences like this --- especially when it is someone you know. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope all your family members are also doing fine in these trying times. We miss your posts but that is the smallest of problems in comparison.

For a non-believer (agnostic) like me, I am glad that you had the will-power to tell yourself that now is not the time. If it was something/somebody else, good on him/her/it. Great to have you back.

Kujo, things happen. I exercise more than my wife, yet, my cholesterol level is border-line high. She does not exercise much and eats more junk food than I, but hers is low. These things do not have a direct correlation --- I suppose because the body is a complex system. I was born with certain genes that make my metabolism level lower or whatever. Someone may be born with some weak link in some artery or in some part of the heart ... The big thing is that the doc is well. Good to hear that.
Sathya

Post by Sathya »

Get Well soon Doc. Really could not digest that you had to go through this experience. My sincere prayers for your speedy recovery and active participation in SI !
Varma

Post by Varma »

That was quite shocking, Dr.Sharma! But we are all so so glad to have you back. Please take plenty of rest and recover soon.

- Varma
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

I too am shocked to learn about this. I was wondering for some time where our good doc has disppeared . I thought you may be busy with work.

I am glad to learn you that you are well. I am sure you will recover fully soon & start posting on this forum as usual.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Get well Doc! I was actually wondering where you were all these days. We miss your top 10 lists and your posts!! When you are back in your elements (hopefully pretty soon), there is no better way to start your posts than a top 10 list!!
Good luck on your recovery. God bless!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Thanks for your kind words and prayers. One week back I could not even stand and today I just came back to my room after doing 2 hours of physical training (riding a stationary bike, doing hand bike, climbing stairs, walking, light weights, etc). My wife and I used to do an hour of treadmill/stationary bike so the biking part has come back easy.

Every one calls me a "miracle baby" because the odds of making it through this ordeal was worse than 1 in a million. The mind is a very powerful part of the body and I kept telling myself that I am going to make it.

More about my ordeal later...
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Doc,

This is surreal! I had just sent you a PM two days ago wondering if all was well. I am so glad to read about your recovery and even more about your willingness to share your experience with us.

You take good care of yourself and count your blessings to have such a wonderful wife. Yet another reminder for me to enjoy life today than worry too much about coulda, shoulda, and woulda. And also to appreciate the people in my life more often and visibly than I do so now.

Best wishes.
sanjay5goel

Post by sanjay5goel »

BSharma wrote:Thanks for your kind words and prayers. The mind is a very powerful part of the body and I kept telling myself that I am going to make it.
Rightly said Doc.

However, one question remains - who is this "I" who is going to make it?? Is it the body, mind, intelligence or something else...

With due respect to you, your profession as well as my wife (also a physician), modern science has not yet reached the point where the differentiation between mind & intelligence can be established.

Regards
Sanjay