No votes

Total votes: 17

BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Vote for McCain or Obama

Post by BSharma »

The 21st century has been trying times for America. The country's economy is in a mess and the future looks uncertain unless the citizens elect a leader who can bring back prosperity. The President alone cannot fix the problems, but his leadership at home and abroad will play an invaluable role in the country getting back on its feet and remaining as the premier country in the world.

The citizens of America will get a chance to vote for McCain or Obama in less than three weeks. Not many members of Sports-India are eligible to vote in the US elections, but our members can vote in this poll to demonstrate who would be a better leader.

So who should be the next President of the United States? McCain or Obama.

Vote for your candidate and feel free to express your opinion about your choice.

The poll is open until the day of the election in November and you can change your vote until then, if you want to do so. This is not a scientific poll by any means and reflects the opinion of those who participate in this endeavor.

Thanks for voting. You can remain anonymous by not expressing your opinion about the candidate.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Re: Vote for McCain or Obama

Post by BSharma »

Who gets elected as the President of USA in November 2008 will have important bearings on the entire world. Most Sports-India members will not be able to vote in the US Presidential elections, but they can do so in this poll at Sports-India. Show your support for the candidate of your choice and vote for McCain or Obama in this Sports-India poll. If you are undecided right now, you can choose the "undecided" box and later come back and change your vote once you have made up your mind. My thanks to all of those members who have voted so far.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Wish the following people will be on Obama's team:

Ron Paul, Treasury Secretary
Colin Powell, Secretary of State
Paul O'Neill, Fed Chairman
Russ Feingold
Jim Bunning

Tell me i am not dreaming :D
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Anyone who appoints Ron Paul to any serious position automatically loses any shred of credibility in my opinion.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Ditto for Jim Bunning. He said that his opponent looked like Saddam Hussein's son and thinks that the Al-Qaida is gunning for him. The guy is going crazy literally. He is in no position to serve. I understand that he has been an absolute free-market-ist but that is no justification to elevate him. Obama will be driven out of Washington with a dunce cap on a donkey if he does this. There is no way this will happen if he is elected.

The only guy whom I admire among these is Russ Fiengold. Used to like Colin Powell until he was involved with Bush' war. I do not know much about Paul O'Neil.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Guys, i do realize that my previous choices are mavericks and have no chances of making it. Am simply stirring the pot :D

OK, Bunning is senile. i can accept that.

But if you don't like Ron Paul, could you tell me why? And who would be your choices?

Imho, our Congress needs a lesson in Austrian Economics.

But maybe they need to learn to balance a checkbook first
??? ???

More people for the team (in no particular order). OK, i cheated a bit by googling the possible VP candidates:
Evan Bayh
Mitt Romney
Tim Pawlenty
Christy Wittman
John Chambers*
Wesley Clark
Bill Clinton (!)
Tim Kaine
Sam Nunn
Bill Richardson
Kathleen Sebelius
Ted Strickland
John Breaux
Jim Webb*

*favorites

Alright, let the brickbats and rotten tomatoes fly :D
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Barack Obama has run a remarkably disciplined campaign, with an uplifting, inspiring message. There is little doubt in my mind that he should be the next President of the United States. The world will be grateful for such a result, but the challenges facing Pres. Obama will be daunting. (I am scared of McCain being saddled with these problems; he has repeatedly shown that he is an erratic figure, prone to frequent bouts of temper, with little understanding or interest in economic policy -- manifestly unqualified to be president. I must say that I thought much more highly of him before September, but he has run a chaotic campaign from the moment he picked Palin as his running mate -- and it would be an absolute travesty if he still manages to win the presidency).

I just hope the Bradley effect is a thing of the past. I remember the weird outcome in that California gubernatorial race, which Deukmejian won completely out of the blue (and proved to be a pretty poor governor too). It would be a sad day indeed for America if subliminal racism denies Obama the presidency after his inspirational campaign. I doubt very much that he will be denied though. Instead, I think Obama will win in a landslide, failing to sweep only a few states (Arizona, perhaps Texas and one or two other southern states such as Oklahoma and Arkansas). Once elected, I hope Obama does indeed rule from the centre rather than from the left (especially on the economy, where he will inherit a socialized banking system, but should work towards privatizing it fully -- and thereby making money for taxpayers -- over the course of his first term).
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

I wish I could agree that the Bradley effect is a thing of the past, but I fear it is very much present. I don't share PKB's optimism for a landslide, but I'm still holding out hope for an Obama win, however close.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

What gives me a great deal of hope is that young people and African-Americans have mobilized like never before, and appear to have turned out to vote early. The lead that Obama appears to have in the early (pre-Election Day) balloting would appear to give him a decisive advantage. In 25 states, an average of more than a third of all eligible voters have already voted (and in a couple of states, about half of all registered voters have cast their ballot already!). And exit polls suggest that among those early voters, Obama is leading by nearly 20 percentage points.

Of course, the one thing that gives me pause is that the CNN Poll of Polls shows 5% still undecided, which is perilously close to the 7%-point lead that Obama has over McCain in that poll of polls. That is uncomfortably close...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

It really depends upon what really "center" means. In general, I agree that the banking sector should be privatized and largely left to market mechanisms with sensible minimal reforms that prevent only the big banks from making loans willy nilly without having enough capital. Those that do not need be bailed out can be let free but those that we cannot afford to fail must be regulated to the minimal extent required and current regulations enforced to the maximum on all.

However, center does not mean the average of left and right. We have gone way right with respect to certain things where I think the true liberal position is the right position. For example, I am not for the privatization of the army, especially as is prevalent in the currently unfettered form in Iraq. The private armies operate under almost no government supervision --- they do not even fall under the purview of the US or Iraqi courts and just do whatever they like violating people. That should be stopped. Other things like habeas corpus should be returned to all individuals, any form of torture should be banned, trial rights of people apprehended on the pretext of terrorism must be restored, minimal executive privilege should be exercised and that too only in cases of genuine national security reasons, all troops or a substantial number of troops should be withdrawn from Iraq in a reasonably orderly fashion and a good military and social solution for Afghanistan should be tried for. These are things where splitting the difference between the left and the right do not work. There are truly right and wrong positions and the undesirable middle just makes things fuzzy. A middle path on immigration, economy, or abortion are fine.

Given the Supreme Court's current make-up with four hard-right social conservatives in Thomas, Scalia, Alito, and Roberts, a "centre" position in replacing Stevens will result in disaster. We will soon be teaching that God made the earth five thousand years ago in our schools if one more social conservative gets on board. On the social dimension, both Stevens' and Ginsburg's replacements need to be a liberal; I would prefer an economic moderate. In general, judicious action is what should be the guiding principle instead of trying to split differences and making moderation the guiding principle and taking central middle-point positions to look moderate in an attempt to get re-elected.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Okay, I will 'fess up. It seems it is all my fault. My advisor sent me that link. He does not know I am voting for Bhusan.

Seriously, this is a good way to use the Internet to make people more civic-minded whichever end/corner of the political spectrum one may have affiliations to.

I am going to vote tomorrow. You do your part if you are a US citizen. Others, please do so when your country votes. We should not take this right (hard-fought for some) for granted.

--pm
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

GOBAMAAAAA

I am far too engulfed in this for someone who has a midterm on Thursday!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Same here. I am so friggin busy (have hardly posted here for the last couple of weeks), but I can no longer do any work. I am just waiting for another couple of hours more to staft seeing what happens in Virginia etc ... Crap, I have so much work to do but I am done for the day...

Jay
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Obama takes winning lead against McCain with victory in California, 273 - 135.

Congrats to Barack Obama for becoming first African-American President of USA.
krinix

Post by krinix »

Wow, what a great day. Americans have risen above themselves, and have made a telling statement. I Honestly belive that change is coming from USA, and will soon spread across all barriers.

McCain was soo gracious in defeat. He gave a memorable speech at Phoenix, Arizona. Only if our politicians were like that.