Obituaries

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
jic
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Obituaries

Post by jic »

Very sad to learn of the news of the passing of Tiger Pataudi. I saw him play a Test match once. And I once saw him up close with Tony Lewis, captain of the English cricket team that toured India in 1972-73. For a second I could not tell who the Englishman was. What a fine man, and fine cricketer. He carried himself with a very rare combination of regal elegance and humility. That is the rarest of combinations. And his batting was of the highest potency and grace. All with one eye. He and Sharmila were such a gorgeous couple. I went to school with a nephew of his - Saad Bin Jung, no mean cricketer himself - who was Pataudi's sister's son. Very classy family.

Rest in peace, Tiger. You are the original Tiger. With your passing the World loses a true gem.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Re: Obituaries - Steve Jobs

Post by kujo »

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

"No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new."

"Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."
ajay
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by ajay »

Steve's Innovation: Keep it simple, get the essence and make a difference.

You did it Steve!
Varma

Post by Varma »

Talk about changing the world, Steve Jobs literally did it. What an amazing guy! It was very unfortunate to lose him at such an young age of 56.

RIP, Steve! Your legacy will live on forever.

- Varma
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

I've never been this sad (and for this long) at somebody's passing away. Steve Jobs was remarkable for all the lives he changed. He's got to be the greatest innovator, ever. I don't think anyone understands/understood consumer behavior as well as Steve did. RIP :(
cricketics

The Loss of Jagjit SIngh hurts

Post by cricketics »

I don't know about you all, but I am extremely saddened by the loss of THE GREATEST GHAZAL GAYAK OF our country - JAGJIT SINGH.

He was a great great singer. .
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: The Loss of Jagjit SIngh hurts

Post by sameerph »

True, Jagjit Singh was one of the legands in Gazal singing & it is sad that we would not be not be able to hear him live any more.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Oh wow, Oh wow, Oh wow
what would amaze Steve? one would never know....
Sathya

Post by Sathya »

Co-inventor of Unix Operating system and C Language Dennis Ritchie passed away on 12-Oct-2011.

RIP Mr. Ritchie and your contribution to software industry through Unix and C is something that will be remembered always !
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Is this true?
http://www.rediff.com/cricket/report/po ... 111113.htm

Peter Roebuck's cricket commentaries and articles were one of the few decent ones out there....

I guess it is true, here is the cricinfo news item: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/ ... 40344.html
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

RIP Prof. Hargobind Singh Khurana.
suresh

Post by suresh »

I always wondered if Khurana must be listed among the Indian Nobel laureates? Any comments?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am sorry. He possibly does not have the Singh in his name. My mistake.

The issue is multiply complicated. He was a Hindu born in British India but his birth-town was near Lahore and education was in Pakistan. He studied and worked in Britain and Zurich. Technically, he was a U.S. citizen. He got the award in 1968. I think he had been in Canada and the U.S. since 1960. So, most possibly the work was done in the U.S. If you list Khorana, assuming you overlook the Pakistan issue, you have to take out Mother Teresa. I would do the trade.

Incidentally, Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar was also born in Lahore though his schooling was in India. His uncle though was 100% Indian. If you want a controversy, we can try to see if he was a Madrasi or a Kolkatan :devil: He was born in Trichi, schooled in Vizag, both "close" to Suresh's whereabouts, but Raman's work was done in Kolkata.

Without going into all that, I respect him as a scientist of Indian origin. Hence, I listed his loss.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Prasen,
I wasn't nitpicking on your posting his obit here. Just idle curiosity on my part. I wanted to bring up S. Chandrasekhar as well but didn't want to muck up things. While we were are discussing him, Chandrasekhar was more English than most Englishmen!Unlike the recent Nobel Laureate, Venky Ramakrishnan, who wears his Indian-ness, these two people were not particularly attached to India or Indian science. I suspect that they wouldn't be perturbed if they were not in a list of Indian laureates.
Suresh
PS: I don't why but most Indian Nobel Laureates have a Kolkata/Bengali connection (Tagore/Raman/Sen/Teresa) ;)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Kolkata used to be the cultural/education center. I don't think that edge is there anymore.