should we change our national sport to cricket?

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics

Yes, delegate hockey to 'almost a sport' and telecast it on ESPN8
60%
No, let the dinosaur live
40%

Total votes: 5

nballa
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by nballa »

I think its time.
canada changed its national sport from cricket to something else.
a national game is something which we should be good at.
gbelday

Re: should we change our national sport to cricket?

Post by gbelday »

Ok, are we good at cricket?
What would be your choice for national sport?  Test, ODI or T20?
nballa

Post by nballa »

gbelday wrote: Ok, are we good at cricket?
What would be your choice for national sport?  Test, ODI or T20?
do we need the format?
we already won two world cups and made a final.
we are no 2 in tests. so we are good at all three.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

nballa wrote: I think its time.
canada changed its national sport from cricket to something else.
a national game is something which we should be good at.
Not many people know that cricket was the "national" sport of Canada, of all places!!  For India, I say it should be kabaddi.  Or how about police corruption?!  Or "Crossing an Indian Road!" That should be an Olymic "track & field" event!
nballa

Post by nballa »

jai_in_canada wrote:
Not many people know that cricket was the "national" sport of Canada, of all places!!  For India, I say it should be kabaddi.  Or how about police corruption?!  Or "Crossing an Indian Road!" That should be an Olymic "track & field" event!
i would never watch or play kabbadi. its a very unclassy sport which doesnt cater to the elite or higher society.
i dont think i want to see a bunch of semi naked guys grabbing each other and shouting kabbadi. better left to the rural areas like gilli danda.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

u r so unabashedly elitist, my opinionated friend!  :D
btw, are the kabaddi guys semi-naked or semi-dressed?!  :D  depends on how you look at the "glass." 
and would it make any difference to you if it were the WKA (as in WTA)?
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

nballa wrote:

i would never watch or play kabbadi. its a very unclassy sport which doesnt cater to the elite or higher society.
Okay, an elitist or classy sport in which India is good.. No brainer.. Chess  :devil: !!! (though Jay will not agree that it is a sport)..

Better yet, We can have two national games, one for Elites and one for non-elites in the rural area!!!
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

jai_in_canada wrote: and would it make any difference to you if it were the WKA (as in WTA)?
We actually had a WKA tournament (state level college meet)!!! The crowd was just unbelievable..  :devil:
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

jai_in_canada wrote: btw, are the kabaddi guys semi-naked or semi-dressed?!   :D  depends on how you look at the "glass." 
What would you call the swimming guys -- nearly naked or minimally dressed?  :wink:
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

BSharma wrote:
jai_in_canada wrote: btw, are the kabaddi guys semi-naked or semi-dressed?!   :D  depends on how you look at the "glass." 
What would you call the swimming guys -- nearly naked or minimally dressed?  :wink:
Umm!  Doesn't look like majority here cares about how the guys dress (Remember, we were talking about a WKA).  Therefore, the question is probably more appropriate for the AVA? :devil:
nballa

Post by nballa »

its amazing how these threads go from one topic to something wayy out of context.
and no i dont even want the image of WKA on my mind. we cant get one fatwa candidate out of our minds, i dont think we can handle 7.

ps:- please vote. last i heard SBI is giving ay 5 lakhs to each hockey player, they never gave a paisa to a cricketer during their existance. this madness should stop.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

nballa wrote: its amazing how these threads go from one topic to something wayy out of context.
ps:- please vote.
Does it make a difference whether we call cricket or hockey or another sport as India's national sport?  If it does, how?  Would India change its national sport every time the Indians became world champion in a different sport?  To me, the term national sport is meaningless.  Those who understand sports know that India is good in cricket and those who do not care about sports give a damn about any sport.  To many Indians, cricket is the ONLY sport and they care less whether Indian hockey team wins the Asia Cup or WC or Anand becomes the world chess champion.
nballa

Post by nballa »

BSharma wrote: Does it make a difference whether we call cricket or hockey or another sport as India's national sport?  If it does, how?  Would India change its national sport every time the Indians became world champion in a different sport?  To me, the term national sport is meaningless.  Those who understand sports know that India is good in cricket and those who do not care about sports give a damn about any sport.  To many Indians, cricket is the ONLY sport and they care less whether Indian hockey team wins the Asia Cup or WC or Anand becomes the world chess champion.
the same can be said for a national bird or animal etc
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

nballa wrote:
BSharma wrote: Does it make a difference whether we call cricket or hockey or another sport as India's national sport?  If it does, how?  Would India change its national sport every time the Indians became world champion in a different sport?  To me, the term national sport is meaningless.  Those who understand sports know that India is good in cricket and those who do not care about sports give a damn about any sport.  To many Indians, cricket is the ONLY sport and they care less whether Indian hockey team wins the Asia Cup or WC or Anand becomes the world chess champion.
the same can be said for a national bird or animal etc
Yes.

Every State in USA has a State flower, animal, bird, etc and what does it mean?  It makes for good trivia questions at Academic Bowl competitions in America.  :D