Which tennis racquet do you play with?

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
cowboy

Which tennis racquet do you play with?

Post by cowboy »

Folks,

I am planning to invest in a good tennis racquet. I enrolled in a racquet demo program which allows me to borrow 1 racquet for a week for four months. Any suggestions on which racquets I should try. I am trying to maintain a blog of my evaluations about racquets at http://trytennis.blogspot.com
Peter
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Which tennis racquet do you play with?

Post by Peter »

Prince O3 Speedport Red.  Not quite the right one for me, but Prince's marketing did me in  :D   It has a generous sweetspot, but is lighter than i'd like.

Am an intermediate level (3.0/3.5 player).  Plan to try the Speedport Black or the Wilson nCode series - i see a lot of Wilson players out there.
Last edited by Peter on Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Babolat has an interesting racquet the Aero (or Drive) Play. The play functionality is basically sensors in the racquet that observes your technique, power, spin, etc. or something like that and you can upload that data via bluetooth to an app or laptop app. The app analyzes your game and you can compare to others. Some people seem to think that the feedback improves their game. I am not a first-adopter and like technology to mature. This option has been there for 4-5 years, I think. So, it should be bug-free and mature. I will possibly get a new racquet because mine is in its last legs. My question is whether anyone has used this racquet --- I mean anyone here and not Nadal. And, if you have, any feedback on how good or bad it is. The price is about twice the price of any other racquet without strings. About $350 --- maybe you can get a small discount from some vendors. Worth it? Comments?
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Prasen , for us old foggies to maintain our level or marginally increase it , the accent should be on size of the hitting area and the weight.

For Many years used Wilson KFactor , KZero , this has a large area of 118 and was only 255 gms in weight , Amazing stick and punched awesome power and being light in weight was perfect for manoeuvrability , On the down side it had an inherent construction problem and every 4-6 months the frame invariably cracked and having changed 5 raquets had to finally give up and after great deliberation Opted for Bablot as before WIlson was using Babolat Rodick, an another powerful raquet with smaller area of 100 and much heavier at 325 gms and with the incessant pounding developed an Tennis Elbow , Have recovered from it now but have to constantly wear an elbow brace.
This new Balabolat Drive 115 have been using it for almost a year and have no problem in terms of breaking of Frame or the Elbow and with 115 hitting area and 275 gms in weight fits into the size and weight criteria and have couple of them
It is Bit stiffer than the Wilson KFactor KZero , but is the only Babolat model with a large hitting area and light in weight and not readily available , Only Tennis Warehouse seems to have it.

Both WIlson and Babolat you will see in the Tennis Warehouse are in the Power category , so if your game is built on power these 2 models are ideally suited and complimented by a large hitting area and much lighter in weight.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Thanks, much. This is a personal preference. I really don't like very oversized racquets. The smaller face-sizes seem to give me more control. And, the larger-sized one does not seem to give me more power. Maybe I just generate power with my forehand and my serve and backhand are weak even with an oversized racquet. So, I have given up on playing with the larger racquets. At times, I play with my junior racquet to get a smaller racquet size and seem to get better control with that :-) Maybe I am used to it.

Thanks for sharing your preferences and reasons. I am very tempted to try this and see what the recommendations are and how my game changes (or not) with the PLAY technology. This Babolat is 100 sq. in, I think. I think I have a Head 93 sq. in --- I also like their somewhat thinner, oval shape as opposed to a round shape. Any other person knows good/standard racquets that are not round?
lukka
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by lukka »

I'd suggest buying a cheap raquet for now and later when you know what you'd like (or if you like tennis at all) you can opt to spend money on something you really want but basically it works like this:
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Thanks lukka!