Know your English

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Know your English

Post by prasen9 »

suresh wrote:I wonder if it rude to point out someone's spelling mistakes in this forum? (I just did in another thread and hence the question.)
It may be a bit. But, I would rather someone point out a mistake I make rather than be polite. And anyway, something being rude has never stopped me from doing things if I believe that it is the thing to do. :D
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

My generel principal is not to loose patiance when I see mispelt words and bad usages of English. I just crinch, but stay quite. It is allright to put up with. Live and let die in piece..

Jay
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

And they say what is considered an error today will become the accepted language tomorrow. Given the lose use of loose :-), maybe lose will lose its spelling tomorrow to become loose and vice-versa. So, all Suresh has to do is to read the post tomorrow instead of today :-)
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

jayakris wrote:My generel principal is not to loose patiance when I see mispelt words and bad usages of English. I just crinch, but stay quite. It is allright to put up with. Live and let die in piece..
eeewwww :puke:

LOL
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

You missed the fact that there was also poor grammar, up with which one must not put :) Jay
suresh

Post by suresh »

:rofl:
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Nehru thought that English would be done away with. Here is an article from 1965 in The Time (U.S. magazine): http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 59,00.html. (Isn't it wonderful to have archives of old papers on the web?). And here we are, 35 years later, people still trying to know their English on an Indian sports forum.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Twitter breaks the verb barrier

The link above is a relatively old story. A recent post got me wondering about the standard usage of twitter as a verb and a bit of googling (:D ) lead me to the above article. If you don't want to click on the link, here is the quick answer: `to twitter' and `tweet' are the verb forms accepted by the Associated Press.
suresh

Post by suresh »

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I am surprised that I knew that the word "shellac" had something to do with warnish/polish. I have no idea how/why I knew that... But in sports parlance, prople who use "shellack" probably think of "shelling" in a military sense; the word sounds like "elaborate shelling". I am surprised that the BBC article did not think of that connection.

In fact, I don't think anybody in the US thinks of the word with a similar feeling as "plastered". One can get plastered when one plays very poorly and the opponent just plays well - but one can get "shellacked" only when the opponent plays very well and aggressively beats you. In addition, "plastered" seems to be a term more apporpriate in individual sports (generally speaking) - as it seems difficult to think of a large team (like a football team, say) getting plastered to a wall while a single player can. But the Dallas Cowboys getting shelled all over the place on the field is easier to visualize. I think people make the conection to shelling more than plastering (or polishing) when they say shellack... Or may be it is just my feeling.

Jay
suresh

Post by suresh »

I just went through the entry for shellacking in the Mirriam Webster dictionary. According to them, the first use of this term is around 1931 and quotes plastering as a synonym (the use of plastering dates to the 15th century). Jay's use of shelling also dates to the 16th century. I however don't get why/how shelling can get replaced by shellacking.
shibi

Post by shibi »

I am surprised that I knew that the word "shellac" had something to do with warnish/polish. Jay
The word Shellac is widely used by plumbers, polishers in Kerala that most people would come across the word during the normal course of life.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yeah, exactly. That is probably why I knew it. But had no specific memory of hearing it in Kerala though. Jay
suresh

Post by suresh »

Describing Sachin Tendulkar a "pocket rocket", Australia's new pace sensation Pat Cummins is excited at the prospect of "versing" the "rockstar".
This is the first instance in my life where I have seen the use of "versing" -- I guess it is meant to be a verb form of versus. If so, it is truly an ugly construction. Any thoughts?
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

number 1 thought: you are old
number 2: you haven't played many video games.... :)

relevant links:
http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2 ... -of-sports
http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2 ... ersing-you
Someone like him, all the fame, it'd be on a whole new different level versing him," Cummins added.
On the subject of kids using "verse" as a new way of saying "play," @Microgeek writes:
I'm all for making up words. Let the kids have their "versing."
So, I guess, a scrimmage in practice would be preversing.
Repeating a match due to rainout, tie, some other reason would be reversing.
Playing against yourself would be universing.
If your team has to travel for matches, I guess you would be traversing.
If the teams somehow get all discombobulated and get the goals backward, would they be conversing?