Corruption

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
India1989
Please enter the middle number: 1

Corruption

Post by India1989 »

According to the Sleaze watchdog Transparency International India has been placed 88th out of the 159 countries in the world in corruption list below Sri Lanka.
Below Sri Lanka. That is what strikes us most. India is more corrupted then Sri Lanka. :damn:

India is ranked 88th most corrupt country while sri lanka is 82nd.

http://headlines.sify.com/news/fullstor ... tion~index

How can this happen.
India1989

Corruption

Post by India1989 »

Here is another site.

http://headlines.sify.com/news/fullstor ... s~per~year'

Indian police is the most corrupt. Bihar is the most in India and Kerala is the least in India.
prasen9

Re: Corruption

Post by prasen9 »

As I had expected, the Modi government is more of the same with respect to corruption. The government has failed to tackle systemic corruption in the country by and large. There has been a small improvement. But, India is still ranked in the red-zone. Here are the TI rankings: 2016 Rankings. It is 2.5 years after Mr. Drastic Change took office and despite the recent PR stints, things are about the same. If we cut through all the bull and PR and hype, this is small change. I will take small change over deterioration, but, all the bold, tall claims are just that. Hogwash! Not much has changed in the country with respect to corruption.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

What's wrong with corruption? I like corruption. We need domestic corruption. Corruption can help economic activity. I need competition in corruption though. And I don't like Indian money going outside the country through corruption, or corruption causing money to be stacked away unproductively. Need checks and balances (which is what brings in competitive corruption), that's all. I want a whole bunch of crooks fighting with each other and the most productive crooks winning. That will only help the country.

Jay
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Corruption reduces economic growth. Corruption & Economic Growth There are several other studies that show the same, if I recall correctly.

But, there are ones that support your POV too.

Here is a latest study, which sort-of tries to take both views into account. How does corruption affect economic growth
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I actually like a special type of corruption. In general, at the higher levels. I don't think the lower level corruption (which is probably what gets measured in many surveys on it) helps any economic growth. I think public servants' taking bribes does not help anybody. But corruption from the politician/industry nexus can actually help, in many cases. Some checks and balances in the system need to force some competition in that process. Basically any industry outfit needs to be productive enough to get a chance to compete in the corrupt game. It's all complicated though.
dinapickwriters

Post by dinapickwriters »

jayakris wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:17 am I actually like a special type of corruption. In general, at the higher levels. I don't think the lower level corruption (which is probably what gets measured in many surveys on it) helps any economic growth. I think public servants' taking bribes does not help anybody. But corruption from the politician/industry nexus can actually help, in many cases. Some checks and balances in the system need to force some competition in that process. Basically any industry outfit needs to be productive enough to get a chance to compete in the corrupt game. It's all complicated though.
Absolutely disagree:-~
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Dinapickwriters -- great that you absolutely disagree. Please present some thoughts behind your disagreement. It's always nice to hear multiple viewpoints. Thanks.
Varma

Post by Varma »

I am surprised there is no URL in the post :p

- Varma
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Maybe the mods took them out :-)