Indian Movies and Bollywood

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
kujo
Authors
Authors

Re: Indian Movies and Bollywood

Post by kujo »

great review of Veer (Salman Khan movie) by Raja Sen in Rediff.
A son is born to Mithun and he takes the infant out into the rain, wanting to toughen him up like a Spartan. This boy grows up to be Veer -- which translates to Salman on horseback, dressed in the only way tribal warriors do: wearing eyeliner, leather pants, cowboy boots and a poncho. I kid you not.
Then there's Zarine Khan, looking like a stout stewardess from Emirates, who catches Veer's fancy and walks around trying hard to pout, while Neena Gupta, playing Veer's mother, is so besotted by Mithun that the couple pretty much makes love to a cheering Pindhari audience. No wonder the kid turned out veerd.
hilarious!! :rofl:

where does he come up with such phrases!!
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

I enjoyed My Name is Khan, especially the first half of the movie. Shahrukh's acting is quite brilliant throughout. The second half (actually the final quarter) of the movie is a touch too melodramatic (especially the scene where the autistic Khan goes to the US state of Georgia to rescue a community that is being deluged by a typhoon/floods).

I also finally got to watch Shyam Benegal's Bose: The Forgotten Hero, a wonderfully moving film about Netaji Subhas and the INA. See it if you can. (It is very difficult to obtain, because the Forward Bloc and sundry others kicked up a furore over trivial issues, and Sahara -- the producers -- decided to brush the movie under the carpet). I got to speak to Shyam Benegal, whose uncle was in the INA. And President Nathan of Singapore (who was in the IIL, and was heavily influenced by -- and remains a life-long admirer of -- Netaji) also came to the screening, and had a short chat with us during a reception we organised at the intermission.
nicholkaye
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by nicholkaye »

Last Hindi movie I saw was " three idiots". What a great movie.... Must watch!!!!
tzzz89

Post by tzzz89 »

I love bollywod. Slumdog Millionaire is epic woohoo
tzzz89

Post by tzzz89 »

I also like Its a wonderful Life! very nice story. Shabana Azmi is my favorite! :bounce:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Reviving this thread to pay tribute to Rajesh Khanna, Bollywood's first real superstar. He passed away today in Mumbai at the age of 69 after a long illness.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

I never knew there was a thread like this! So who watched Cocktail and hated it?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sure we can discuss more here. The thread seems to have died in last few months or years.
Omkara wrote:I never knew there was a thread like this! So who watched Cocktail and hated it?
I did. :D
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Really sad to hear about Rajesh Khanna!! Shammi Kapoor, Dev Anand, RK, Dara Singh -- been rough lately in Bollywood :(

Talking about movies, I watched a couple recently -- Kahaani and Vicky Donor (thanks YouTube). Highly recommend both of them!
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Oh I loved both of them. Paan Singh tomar another must watch. Ishaakzade and Gangs of Wasseypur should not be missed either. This year has been awesome for the Indian movie goer. Loads of GOOD movies to watch this. This has been an year of revolution. Not that good movies were not made earlier, but this year people are heading to the theatre and making them a commercial success. Mindblowing stuff!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Omkara wrote:Oh I loved both of them. Paan Singh tomar another must watch. Ishaakzade and Gangs of Wasseypur should not be missed either.
Unfortunatly, I have missed all out of the movies mentioned above except Kahaani & have watched crap like Cocktail . Would watch out to see those on TV or DVD.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Pan Singh Tomar is a beauty. Never thought movies like that would be made in India. Gangs of Wasseypur is still on screen. I am certain you'll find something in Mumbai this weekend. Atleast I hope so, coz the world has been taken over TDKR fever!
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Did anyone see The Dark Knight Rises?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I must admit (somewhat shame-facedly) that I never watched too many Hindi movies when I was a kid. So the only Rajesh Khanna movie I recall watching was Haathi Mere Saathi (probably the first Hindi movie I saw, although not in its entirety). I only discovered Hindi movies properly when I was in the US in the late-1980s ironically.

Although I missed all the great Rajesh Khanna movies (only seeing parts of Aradhana quite recently, that too dubbed in Bengali..!!), I was intrigued to discover through his obituaries that he was engaged to Anju Mahendru for 8 years. I had actually only heard of Anju Mahendru as the (failed or largely unsuccessful) actress who had been engaged to Garry Sobers, having read about this in Conrad Hunte's terrific autobiography -- and later in Sobers' own (rather poorly written) one. It was quite astonishing to discover that this unfortunate lady had been ditched TWICE in life by two of the leading icons of her time, one in cinema, the other in sport. (Actually the Sobers liaison didn't work because her parents/family didn't allow it, as far as I recall...Rajesh Khanna seemed to have decided to go with Dimple almost at the last minute -- leaving the house he shared with Anju Mahendru for her to live in, and going off to instead marry the latest young star!).

This, by the way, is Anju Mahendru:
http://www.rediff.com/movies/slide-show ... 120722.htm
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

PKBasu wrote:I must admit (somewhat shame-facedly) that I never watched too many Hindi movies when I was a kid. So the only Rajesh Khanna movie I recall watching was Haathi Mere Saathi (probably the first Hindi movie I saw, although not in its entirety)..... Although I missed all the great Rajesh Khanna movies (only seeing parts of Aradhana quite recently, that too dubbed in Bengali..!!),
Hey, I am one better than you. I remember seeing Aaradhana, Aanand and Haathi Mere Sathi in theaters in Kerala. Can never forget the Mere Sapno ke Rani at the start of Aaradhana, with Sharmila Tagore in the train.... Jay