Indian Movies and Bollywood

This is a place where you can enter any non-sports general topics
shaili
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Movies and Bollywood

Post by shaili »

ishan Akhtar wrote:
I think so u might b genius..
OMG!!!!!!!!!!! now i know - jay is actually 'genius' or the other way around. whatever. :wink:
thanks ishan holmes for cracking the mystery.

sorry, sameer. i thought why not add to the off-topic discussion  :D
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

shaili wrote:
OMG!!!!!!!!!!! now i know - jay is actually 'genius' or the other way around. whatever. :wink:
thanks ishan holmes for cracking the mystery.
I am glad that Shaili's mind thinks like mine  :D because I came up with the same observation, but was afraid to comment on it after already making some enemies in the forum by posting my Top Ten list on how some members plan to celebrate Indian cricket team's series win.

:Offtopic:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Ishan - there were actually only 5 IITs in 1980 (Kharagpur, Delhi, Kanpur, Bombay, Madras) when I took the exam.  about 200K took the exam and there were abut 1800 seats in IITs.  I actually do not remember my exact rank anymore, but it was just under 750.  I think 746.

Yes, I was one of the biggest "raggees" because of my difficulty in speaking English (I spoke my first sentence of English at age 17 in Chennai when I arrived at the hostel and asked the warden - "which is my room"? - that took about 15 minutes of preparation!) ..  The bangalore/ bombay/ madras "hip dudes" were all over me for my malayali accent and ragged the hell out of me.  Two years later I also became one of the ragger-kings.  You see, malayalees have a flair for adjusting to and surviving the situation and then flourishing in it :)

Since you are studying math etc, here is what one of the raggers asked me.  Made me stand on one leg and give a three line proof for E = mc**2 .. After an hour of back one-leg stand, with their making fun of how I said "Ayinsteen", "maaaasss", "pavaR" etc, the big geniuses explained to a throroughly demoralized malayali boy --  "you see, kinetic energy = 0.5 mv**2.    Now, when you move at the speed of light, substitute c for v and you get 0.5 mc**2.  Now, 0.5 << c, and so you can neglect it.  You get E = mc**2.  Bingo!" .. I nearly cried.

If you are studying for JEE, answer me the question.  When a car is moving, which way is the friction acting? -- forward or backward? -- If you answer backward, then I will ask you what the external force is, that makes the car go forward.  If you answer foreward, I will ask you what is the external force that is making the car stop! ... I could rag some big shot bangalore dude (who came in with all the Agrawal and Brilliant institute JEE tuition background) for hours with that and make him think that he had no right to be studying in an IIT :)

Sorry, I am completely digressing from the topic and should move this IIT banter to another approrpaite thread.

Jay
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Had you tried saying something correct like that to me in a ragging session, your life would be hell for the rest of the day, buddy! ... Jay
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

jayakris wrote: Had you tried saying something correct like that to me in a ragging session, your life would be hell for the rest of the day, buddy! ... Jay
Perhaps Jay may want to start a thread about "ragging" sessions during the college days of the Sports-India members.  We may learn about the ways ragging has changed over the years in India.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

cute mas0om chehra???
and can't speak English. You will be a popular ragee... :D
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Uh oh ... It seems like I do not have moderator previleges on this particular forum to split away this offtopic chatter ... Something must have fallen through the cracks when Dhruv set up the global moderator previleges.    I will have to wait for Dhruv to help.

Jay
iShUuU

Post by iShUuU »

SorRY
i will delete all my posts right now
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Pretty neat slideshow.  Some of them never played a sport before and are now sportspersons, training, playing on the side..etc...Interesting to read. 

Meet the Chak De women
http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2007/aug/14sl1.htm
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Saw Chak de tonight to celebrate Independance Day and lenjoyed it. It combined entertainment and sports quite well though obviously with a large dose of cliches but still, it never made me cringe. Shah Rukh did well though the stars were obviously the players.  Shame they didn't include the promo song in the movie as that is a brilliant piece of lyrics and music. "Divya Sharma - India Captain, iski bhi to koi baat hai!" that lyric sums things up perfectly. As with all Sports movies the match scenes are not always that exciting but they kept the length of those quite short and combined the match scenes and the background commentary quite well. Enjoyable movie all round.

Saw a trailer for an Indian football movie coming out in the next few months starring John Abraham. Looks like it tackles the issue of the thriving amateur Indian football scene in London vs the players not getting professional contracts. Should be one to watch out for.

Where is the tennis movie? Now there is a top 10 list waiting to be written.....

Top 10 roles in the Tennis India/Sports India Tennis Production
Last edited by S_K_S on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

This one is for Jay...

A sadya of films for Onam
http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2007/aug/23slide1.htm
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Thanks Gautam! .. The only problem is that I hardly find time to watch movies.. :(

Yes, it is ONam time!! ..  [By the way, for those who have been wondering all your life what the heck that word stands for, including most malayalees - it comes from the samskRtam word "SRAvaNam" for the month.  That became "tiruONam" in a tamilized way, which then got shortened as "ONam" ...]

Jay
iShUuU

Post by iShUuU »

GOwWwWD!!..AnyoNE seEN "Buddha Mar GayA" ??? LoL

KatrEeNA is lookin so StUnNiN in "ParTNER"..
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

My suggestion is go and watch 'Taare Zameen Par'!!!

I m giving "DON'T MISS TAG" to this movie.

I know that I m emotional fool but when my 8 yrs niece and nephew cried while watching this movie then I really feel this movie is something special ... This movie is about dyslexic child.

Go, watch with ur family and friends.

Jaydeep.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

jaydeep wrote: My suggestion is go and watch 'Taare Zameen Par'!!!

I m giving "DON'T MISS TAG" to this movie.

I know that I m emotional fool but when my 8 yrs niece and nephew cried while watching this movie then I really feel this movie is something special ... This movie is about dyslexic child.

Go, watch with ur family and friends.

Jaydeep.

Has anyone watched "Welcome"....  I give it a "PLEASE MISS IT TAG" to this movie. left the theatre after half time  :mad: