Is Indian Gov. Doing Enough To Promote Sports In The Country

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.

Is Indian Government Doing Enough To Promte Sports In The Country

Poll runs till Mon Aug 10, 2037 11:22 am

Yes
16%
No
68%
Can't Say
16%

Total votes: 19

jimmy

Post by jimmy »

BSharma wrote:Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy!

You just want me to work harder than I want to work. :D

Pick up a textbook on public health and you will find the answer.

The water that is supplied is chlorinated but as it travels through the pipes in the city, it is more likely to pick up germs when the water is not constantly running through them 24 hours a day.
I guess , you still didnt get the idea!!

Chlorination
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

Jimmy,

What you are describing is the chlorination of water done by the city water supply company or what you have to do if you have your own well to get water. Chlorination will kill the fecal bacteria that is present in the water taken by the water treatment plants from the lakes and rivers. Both of us agree on this part, but I am talking about another problem that exists in India.

Once the treated water (chlorinated) water enters the pipes to go from the water supply company in India to the houses of the city dwellers, it can get contaminated because of breaks in the system. The amount of chlorine present in the water that reaches your house is not enough to kill the bacteria that enters the pipes between the water treatment facility and your house. In addition, the chlorine cannot kill the parasites that are present in the fecal matter and can enter the water supply system in between the water treatment plant and your house.

Because there is lack of 24 hour continuous supply of water from the water treatment plant to the houses and because there are breaks in the system, most people in India put filters in their taps or boil the water. Countries like USA, Canada, UK, Singapore, Japan, Australia, etc where there is continuous water supply do not have to do so.

Addendum:

here is a link to what I am saying:

Intermittent water supply Read page 31(Consequences) ".....No water from an intermittent water supply system is safe to drink, because under vacuum conditions foul water can be drawn into the pipes. ...." You will find more detailed explanation if you read any Public Health textbook.
India1989

Post by India1989 »

Once again I am saying that you guys mentioned that no Indian cities has 24 hours water supply. But I say few does. A lot in West Bengal does.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

Soumo, 24hr water supply doesn't mean storing in water tank! What if I use all my alloted 42 liter water? Will I get water again? That is wht Bsharma meant by 24hr water supply. Not storing in buckets, drums and tanks!!
puneets

Post by puneets »

We used to have 24 hr water supply in our hostel (in bombay).
But its highly unlikely that the whole city has a 24hr water supply.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

There are areas within cities in India that get water and electricity 24 hours a day. I am sure that the Indian Prime Minister does not have to store water in drums and buckets, or has to light a candle to eat dinner with a Prime Minister of another country, although there might be some rumour mills going around about the romantic candle lit dinner between the two political leaders. :devil:

The article that I read in an Indian newspaper (?) stated that there are no cities in India where most of the people get water 24 hours a day.

Thanks Sandeep for clarifying the difference between continuous water supply and getting water round the clock because a house may have a large water storage tank. :D
India1989

Post by India1989 »

nothingnew wrote:Soumo, 24hr water supply doesn't mean storing in water tank! What if I use all my alloted 42 liter water? Will I get water again? That is wht Bsharma meant by 24hr water supply. Not storing in buckets, drums and tanks!!
I have got a perfect argument against your statement. First thing you guys havent' went to all parts of India so please don't come to conclusion without seeing and actually believing everything. Media isn't always right and they try hard to sometimes put the bad qualities of India.

Ok in Kolkata in almost everyhouse in Jodhpur park and Ballygunge we had a pump. We had a tank. When there was no water, switch on a switch and you will see water coming from the main supply. When the tank is full then turn off the switch. Yeah and you can do this as many times as possible. There's always a pump to get water when you are out of water. So please dont' judge whole India. Chennai, Rajasthan, Delhi doesn't make the whole India. Northeast has abundance of water supply 24 hours. Not whole but some cities. I think you get the point. Pump=water any time= storage of water=less water=pump=bring more water=anytime in a day=abundance of water.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

Soumo, the Pump which you are talking about I think is bore water, right? Well that is not exactly drinking water!!! And moreover I am sure it is not there all over Kolkata.
India1989

Post by India1989 »

The water is not bore. Just add a filter to your tap. Everybody had a filter to their tap. When the water comes out it is drinkable.

And 25% of Kolkata has this system. Rest is the system I told you before. Water shortage is really rare in Southern part of West Bengal.

If you give examples of some villages then it is different.

I am giving you examples in Canada.
The apartment i lived in before when I came new had no water for like 10 times and we had no water supply once for like 8 hours.

Tell me now if I make that a big issue that won't show the whole image of Canada.

You guys take some villages and say that this is India. It is like this all over India. No.
It is not.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Anybody know when they are going to discuss sports in the parliament? I am eagerly waiting to see what they are going to discuss and hope that media provides complete coverage of this discussion...
Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee clarified that while speaking on the motion on sports, members should not restrict themselves just to cricket, but also discuss sports facilities in the country and other upcoming sporting events.
http://ia.rediff.com/cricket/2005/dec/22onkar.htm
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

Sorry Kumar, I haven't come across a firm date yet. Next week, that's all. Invariably discussions on sports end up with very little, known facts and figures; mudnane complaints; members agitated over Ganguly dropping; state of Indian hockey, a touch of doping. Well, it's time to wind up!
Will keep you posted if anything comes up.
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

My apologies again Kumar!
The rediff report you mentioned (Dec 23) was actually an incomplete report on the discussion itself in Parliament!
That discussion happened to be on Dec 22.
Here's a report (the only one to have any kind of details in any of the mainline papers, I understand)
http://www.hindu.com/2005/12/23/stories ... 771200.htm
I am sure you will be disappointed. I was.
The only consolation, they will continue in the next session.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

We should probably give up on government doing anything for sports in India. They are good for nothing! Has anyone of you ever seen a politician genuine interested in making sports a priority? (maybe Naidu did a bit but that's it). It's all politics and nothing else when sports is discussed in the parliament.

I think in next couple of years, we are going to see a lot of private investment in sports and sports facilities. Companies are going invest on sports facilities, bid on naming rights, endorse players (and expect returns)..etc. Media money (for broadcast rights) is going to play a huge role as well. It's already a huge factor in cricket and we are going to see it in other sports as well. I really admire what Mittal is doing. In US, I don't think the government does much in terms of building facilities or maintaining them. They did that in the past couple of decades but now it's mostly private investment, no?
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Thanks Mugu ... I was just curious to know what they discussed.. And as usual nothing concrete...
India1989

Post by India1989 »

Yup we should give up. The government doesn't do anything for sports in India. NOt even a single thing that will help us. If they did then we would've been so good in other sports.