Farmers protest in india

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
usaindia
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Farmers protest in india

Post by usaindia »

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Farmers protest in india

Post by jayakris »

The international media can go take a hike. The clueless knee-jerk celebrities like Rihanna too.

When actual democratic process goes on, with elected representatives passing constitutional laws that open up free markets, these bastards abroad want to call it autocratic. It's not like we lined up tanks like at Tiananmen and started shooting people. Hell, we allowed these misguided souls to go berserk at the Red Fort on Republic day, beating up our police. Police jumping over ledges, falling 10 feet and hurting themselves, was painful to see, as these lowlives raised crazy flags there next to the tricolor.

And this is some sort of autocratic atrocities against Human rights or something, for these two-bit celebrities and press posterior orifices to get involved in?

Go to hell, I say.

The US State department has been measured in their response though, today - Farmers’ protest: U.S. calls for dialogue, recognises right to protest (The Hindu) ... Of course, in typical fashion, The Hindu did not highlight the important thing that the US said -
“We recognize that peaceful protests are a hallmark of any thriving democracy, and note that the Indian Supreme Court has stated the same. We encourage that any differences between the parties be resolved through dialogue. In general, the United States welcomes steps that would improve the efficiency of India's markets and attract greater private sector investment,” a statement from the U.S. Embassy said.
Resolving it through dialogue is what we have been trying to do. The misguided souls (with vested interests and politicians who push them from behind), won't take any YES for an answer except repealing the whole law. Sorry, it doesn't work like that in Democracy.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

I am generally against all subsidies except may be food subsidies to the needy and work subsidies or creating employment opportunities and channeling that work to worthwhile public projects. But, when we make changes that are a substantial threat to a substantial number of people, they will resort to protesting and at one point it will go violent if there is enough number of people and enough anger. I support the law but we also need to engage in a lot of retraining and alternative employment programs.

Having said that shutting off the internet also does not work in a true democracy. That is a very autocratic playbook move. It is actually very alarming that people's freedom of speech is being cut off at random by the government. This is how it starts ...

I found Ranaut's reply classless. I do not know what else Rhianna said but all I saw was a tweet that said why we are not talking about it. I welcome everyone to talk about every issue. Name-calling like Ranaut does in response actually shows her in a very poor light.
usaindia

Post by usaindia »

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Why do you said it was paid? I am not saying it was not but trying to find out. Rhianna may have been paid. But, $2.5 million? I doubt it. We will find out. It is quite possible several people were paid to promote things. And, it was done by the Canadian Sikh rabble-rousers, who want to create chaos. But, we need a bit more than random articles saying things without proof. I doubt Greta was paid. She was most possibly fed a very biased version of the story.

Providing form letters to do mass campaigns and letter writing campaigns is a known strategy. Most of these are done without paying people. Whoever agrees with you uses these form letters to amplify the opinion and put their support behind the causes. There is nothing wrong with the kit.

I find some of these posts (the twitter one quoted in the post above) to be quite obnoxious. Whether Greta is cute or not should not have a bearing on what we are talking about. And, then the post ends with "How dare she(sic)". This is the internet. Anyone can say and do anything. These guys and their agenda is not such that nobody should dare comment. I dare speak up against anyone and anybody. Nobody really is that sacred that we cannot dare speak up against them. This type of talk is very much prevalent in autocratic societies. How dare you talk against the king? Etc. This actually shows their autocratic mindset.

I support the content of the bill but not some of these right-wing defendants and what they are saying and how they are saying things.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

And, here come the Indian scribes of the foreign magazines:

Time
The Farmers' Protests Are a Turning Point for India's Democracy—and the World Can No Longer Ignore That
Simran Jeet Singh
Thu, February 11, 2021, 6:00 PM

https://news.yahoo.com/farmers-protests ... 40255.html
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Ironically what's happening on farmers protest. But quite fun what's happening to the ruling pro hindutva government. May be they forgot that core to hindu philosophy lies karma. What happened to Rhea is happening to them. It's fun actually. But agree farmers protests are illogical. The actions of western media is unpardonable.
depleter

Post by depleter »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:39 am Why do you said it was paid? I am not saying it was not but trying to find out. Rhianna may have been paid. But, $2.5 million? I doubt it. We will find out. It is quite possible several people were paid to promote things. And, it was done by the Canadian Sikh rabble-rousers, who want to create chaos. But, we need a bit more than random articles saying things without proof. I doubt Greta was paid. She was most possibly fed a very biased version of the story.

Providing form letters to do mass campaigns and letter writing campaigns is a known strategy. Most of these are done without paying people. Whoever agrees with you uses these form letters to amplify the opinion and put their support behind the causes. There is nothing wrong with the kit.

I find some of these posts (the twitter one quoted in the post above) to be quite obnoxious. Whether Greta is cute or not should not have a bearing on what we are talking about. And, then the post ends with "How dare she(sic)". This is the internet. Anyone can say and do anything. These guys and their agenda is not such that nobody should dare comment. I dare speak up against anyone and anybody. Nobody really is that sacred that we cannot dare speak up against them. This type of talk is very much prevalent in autocratic societies. How dare you talk against the king? Etc. This actually shows their autocratic mindset.

I support the content of the bill but not some of these right-wing defendants and what they are saying and how they are saying things.
Ughmmm..You do know right? that how dare she is just a continuation of her own meme version of "how dare you". It's just a commonly used famous meme on twitter.

And if you have read the toolkit there are multiple questionable things. But one of the most interesting reads is the swot analysis on it.

See the weakness in there...No plan beyond repeal. So many meanings can be derived from just that.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I learned a new word today:

Jabroni

It applies here to Greta? I’ve always felt that—long before this issue.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

depleter wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:54 pm Ughmmm..You do know right? that how dare she is just a continuation of her own meme version of "how dare you". It's just a commonly used famous meme on twitter.
I did not. The context matters. So, my comments do not apply.
And if you have read the toolkit there are multiple questionable things. But one of the most interesting reads is the swot analysis on it.

See the weakness in there...No plan beyond repeal. So many meanings can be derived from just that.
As I said I support the bill. Any legitimate questions such as the one you have raised about there being no plan beyond repeal is welcome.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

How stupid are these farmer leaders?

Not afraid of coronavirus, won't take jabs: Farmer leaders in vulnerable age group

No wonder that the Indian leftists, Khalistani separatists and the hapless Congress guys have convinced these farmers that free-market is bad for them. They have no clue that they are being totally used.

Just like Trump used the clueless people to attack the Capitol (and the democratic system in the US)..
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I think laissez faire free market is bad for everyone. This bill is possibly bad for these farmers. It may be good for the overall country.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:27 pm I think laissez faire free market is bad for everyone. This bill is possibly bad for these farmers. It may be good for the overall country.
Lot of corruption in agri markets. Punjab in the fore front. Hence only they are protesting. Rest don't care. And it won't matter to them. The laws are good. And they were part of most parties manifesto
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

So, what is happening with the farmers' agitation? Did they get anything? Or did it die out, and the newspaper leftists ran out of gas in trying to justify what wasn't all that justifiable? (and the foreign Khalistanis have given up?)

Indian democracy died with that, if you read New York Times. I can't stop my tears... NOT.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I think I read more than 200 farmers died in the protests. And, the protests will have an economic toil on the country's economy most possibly. Having said that, I like checks and balances. Although I support the changes largely, I also support the farmers coming out and protesting. Some movements/issues, etc. do not have an immediate payoff. In the long run, if you protest, people will be careful not to trample on you. I think having a strong opposition is important. And given the morons running the Congress, direct opposition is what is left. Again, within reason. The Bangla Bandhs in Bengal when we were growing up caused severe losses to the economy and to people. So, excessive protests are not good. But, some protesting is good to keep any government in check. In the case of Bengal, it was perhaps a reflection of the lack of work culture of the people, etc. But that is a separate story.