"Asia Reborn"

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: "Asia Reborn"

Post by jayakris »

PKB, both the excerpts above were fascinating to read. I am really looking forward to the book. More so because we here know a lot about your views on things. Very often I find them to closely mirror my own views too (except perhaps when it comes to views about the USA). Certainly so, when it comes to much of Asian history and our views on Bose, Nehru, China, etc. Maybe because we both came from communist states and have spent a majority of our lives abroad... Anyway, I am sure I will find a lot of new things, and many on which to disagree with you too (hopefully) in the book. Can we order the book yet?

BTW, I just found that there was a book from nearly 90 years ago by the same title (without the sub-text) "Asia Reborn" by Marguerite Harrison, from 1928. I assume she talked about the period from just before what your book might probably be focusing on? I just took a look at that book online. Not sure when I will read it, but it might be interesting to compare.
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rajiv »

Wonderful PKB and best wishes to you in your endeavour.

It is such a joy we all share when our Fellow Forum Members embark on such a ambitious project .

Does it have a chapter on Tennis & Cricket :D

Do keep us informed and will surely recomend to our freinds in various groups in this part of the world
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rajiv, there is at least one mention of Leander and a few of Ranjitsinhji, Iftikhar Pataudi, Duleepsinhji, etc. :-) Look out for it!!

Jay, the book will be released 1st September, and should be listed on Amazon India by this weekend (or so my publishers told me yesterday). You will find my views on India's constitution quite consonant with yours -- and much else besides! (And, yes, I discovered the other book with the same title only after my book had gone to press; the name was suggested by my publisher, David Davidar, who is from your state…my original title was "Renascent Asia").

I show how Lenin came to power primarily because the Germans provided him all the funding, and enabled him to reach St Petersburg in a special sealed train provided by the Germans -- while Mao was able to come to power primarily because Stalin invaded Manchuria (breaking his non-aggression pact with Japan) on 8th August 1945, and kept moving forward (through Manchuria -- Heilongjiang, Jilin, Liaoning -- and into North Korea) for a week after Japan had surrendered. Stalin then ensured that Japan's massive industrial base and armaments supplies in Manchuria fell into the hands of Mao and Lin Biao. All the romantic stuff about Mao's revolutionary mobilisation abilities is basically nothing but a myth.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Would it be available at Indian bookstores?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, it is being published from India by Aleph Books.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

PKB , I have been promoting your book amongst my Indian friends here in HongKong and could you check about the links as on Desktop it is fine , but on Mobile phone it doesn't open or directs to some irrelevant page
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Thanks, Rajiv, I will try and ensure that the glitches are fixed over the next few days.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

PKB: Any possibility of the book appearing on Play Store (https://play.google.com/books) or anywhere where I can buy a digital copy? Congratulations though, I see its selling off quite fast on Flipkart :bounce: :bounce:
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

http://www.rediff.com/news/interview/br ... 171102.htm

PKB,

Read your interview today on rediff. Very well articulated. Congrats
Tolamu

Post by Tolamu »

Excellent interview, PKB. Nice read. Congrats.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Excellent interview, PKB. When will the book be available on amazon (in the US)?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

gbelday wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:10 pm Excellent interview, PKB. When will the book be available on amazon (in the US)?
Gautam, currently kindle edition is available on Amazon.com.

Asia Reborn Kindle Edition
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Here are a couple of book reviews that some of you may have already come across (in Outlook and The Hindu):

https://www.outlookindia.com/magazine/s ... tch/299412 (written by Bibek Debroy, head of the PM's economic advisory council, who I don't know, by the way!)

http://www.thehindu.com/books/books-rev ... 895944.ece
SriramP

Post by SriramP »

I haven't been active on the forum in a few years but found this interesting link today where PKB questioned Rahul Gandhi. Interested to know if there was any exchange post the Q&A session.

https://www.thequint.com/videos/news-vi ... -on-family

And Congratulations on your book, PKB!