Preparing for Prime Minister Narendra Modi

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
kaustav
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Preparing for Prime Minister Narendra Modi

Post by kaustav »

jayakris wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:32 pm
kaustav wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:43 pm There are other indexes where India showed huge improvements in last 4 and half years..I wish and pray for Modi for the general election..
And there has been hardly much of a drop in other indices, even if Human Development index hardly changed (but that one takes time to change anyway). While prasen is correct that there is way too much of talk from BJP and their supporters who exaggerate things, it is also tough to make a case that Modi's rule has noticeably made things worse in anything. Foreign policy has generally been quite fine, terrorist activities have somewhat drastically reduced, and the economy has not tanked, even after the risky demonetization. Demonetization was based on bad advice and it seemed not to help at all (at least in the short-term like Modi hoped, though there are those who now feel that the long-term effects are only positive). But I give him credit, because the demonetization was not done on the basis of political considerations. He tried something that may have been foolish, but at least somebody tried something for the country's sake without politics as the reason - which is so rare in India. GST was a long-term process that Modi didn't start but at least he didn't stand in the way, and probably sped it up a bit. And that seems to have been another relatively bolder action than we have seen from Congress governments. Things like swacch bharat are also good schemes, whatever one may feel about exaggerations from the Parivar. With the exception of pushing the cow-slaughter ban which I have always been dead against (for it being against Hinduism's tolerance), I hardly have complaints against this government, of the kind I have had about the Congress governments and their vote-bank politics in the past.
Exactly Jay...I agree with you
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Whatever their politics, all I care is about end results.

Swacch Bharat is typical Narendra Modi. All talk. In fact, his government has approved things that have made India more polluted.

If the Hindu-rousing actions are not vote-bank politics, I do not know what is. Dividing people and destroying communal harmony for personal gains. I am no fan of Rahul Gandhi but this guy is pretty much the same, a politician who cares to win at all costs, the country be damned. He has been the same since Godhra or even before that. He and his party win votes by inciting hatred among religions and exaggerated promises. I do not think the Indian populace will continue to be duped again and again for long. His trying to show that he does not care for politics is again part of his charade, excellent PR to divert the attention from the failures of his government.

I am still waiting for an objective index where NM has improved India's standing.

This guy was all talk and remains all talk.

Modi, Gandhi, they are all the same. Crooked politicians only caring for power.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

kaustav wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:35 pm Prasen its democracy...I disapprove you like you disapprove me...No argument as its a sports forum...BJP will create havoc this time in West Bengal as well as many other states where they were weak earlier to make it up the losses...Narendra Modi has done many good things where his predecessors did not have the guts or backbones to implement...He will retain his place in 2019... People of India are behind him and will back him I am sure
It is democracy. I do not disapprove you. This is a sports forum but we have this part of the board for non-sports discussions. I am sure he has done many good things for his banya friends who are flush with money. But as the human development index shows he has done diddly squat for the common people. Certainly not at a rate that is significantly better than the previous government's. I do not make predictions in things I do not know well. So, I do not know who will win this time. But, I am sure that more people will see through the talk-only imposter than have before.

Look at the hype that was there before Modi on this forum. And now the same people are talking about "no drop" in other indexes :-( That itself says that it is a sad day for India.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The bottom-line is that the people of Chattisgarh, Rajasthan, and MP have rejected the BJP because they have not performed. Now it is up to the other party to show what they can do. If not, they will also be gone. And, we will keep getting tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum alternatively in 5/10/15 years while plodding ahead at about the same rate.
ankit1407
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by ankit1407 »

sure, he has not turned out as great as many including me would have thought...however i would still give BJP next 5 years before we conclude...It is also true that country has no better option...Congress can not win on its own and having a tie up with likes of Mayawati, Akhilesh, Lalu, Mamta etc is a recipe for disaster...
ornatebrute

Post by ornatebrute »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:27 pm
Modi, Gandhi, they are all the same. Crooked politicians only caring for power.
Couldn't agree more.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I do not know if Congress will be better. We have had coalition governments before. They do not last long but they are not disasters either. If you look at any objective index, you will not see a Modi swing, i.e., a steep improvement in anything. At least, I have not. In fact, if you remove the labels on the x-axis, often, I cannot really say when Modi came. If he was a messiah, we would have seen that even if that happens after say a couple of years to give time for his policies to yield fruit.

He did some things like removing the subsidies to gas, accelerating the pace of toilet building, etc. but nothing extraordinary. So, whoever comes, we will be the same, a bit more or a bit less prosperous. On a decent trajectory but may be too slow for the current generation.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I am not taking a position either way but here is some data. Prasen has been clamoring for even one index other than human development one, and I remember one clearly called the ease of doing business, which is included in the link below:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 335725.cms
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:39 pm The bottom-line is that the people of Chattisgarh, Rajasthan, and MP have rejected the BJP because they have not performed.
BJP vote share in MP is 0.1% more than Congress. It got 5 fewer seats than Congress due to more even distribution of seats of BJP. It could have been so easily the other way around. And that is after 3 terms of govt. by same chief minister when these days people usually get tired after 1 term. So, not fair to say that people rejected BJP in MP.

Agree to what you say in Rajanshtan and Chattisgarh.

Either way, it is not going to be a windfall for BJP in northern states in 2019 like last time. So, it will need to make up numbers somewhere else ( Orissa, Bengal ?) if it has to get a majority on it's own.
Prem

Post by Prem »

Atithee wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:36 pm I am not taking a position either way but here is some data. Prasen has been clamoring for even one index other than human development one, and I remember one clearly called the ease of doing business, which is included in the link below:
Here is an article I read about how India managed the ‘Ease of Doing Business’. So we can’t go by these rankings alone...

https://www.huffingtonpost.in/2018/11/2 ... zBuykZ2V5Q
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:39 pm The bottom-line is that the people of Chattisgarh, Rajasthan, and MP have rejected the BJP because they have not performed. Now it is up to the other party to show what they can do. If not, they will also be gone. And, we will keep getting tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum alternatively in 5/10/15 years while plodding ahead at about the same rate.
The bottom line is its difficult to get into any kind of argument with people like you who were thrashed and rejected by the entire world. The communist ( Some species still exist in in Bengal) have been shown the door by the people of tripura and West Bengal..You people are nowhere except in Kerala...So stop preaching the mandate and verdict to the the parties like BJP who is dominating because of people choice..Who cares what you feel about BJP ?
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

sameerph wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:00 am
prasen9 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:39 pm The bottom-line is that the people of Chattisgarh, Rajasthan, and MP have rejected the BJP because they have not performed.
BJP vote share in MP is 0.1% more than Congress. It got 5 fewer seats than Congress due to more even distribution of seats of BJP. It could have been so easily the other way around. And that is after 3 terms of govt. by same chief minister when these days people usually get tired after 1 term. So, not fair to say that people rejected BJP in MP.

Agree to what you say in Rajanshtan and Chattisgarh.

Either way, it is not going to be a windfall for BJP in northern states in 2019 like last time. So, it will need to make up numbers somewhere else ( Orissa, Bengal ?) if it has to get a majority on it's own.
Sameerph nothing but a anti incumbency factor of all the states where after 15 years people wanted a change , that too you can see the vote% in MP. Its not clear mandate for Congress...Better not get into argument with Commies and Trinmulies from Bengal.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

In Rajasthan there was no 15 year incumbency. But even in other states thing to see is that in Gujrat BJP was able to overcome it but not here. Also another thing to see is that they BJP started with 282 seats in Lok Sabha but now have 268 seats. So they have lost seats in by elections. My feeling is that still NDA will come in power in 2019 but they'll BJP will not get majority of their own and will probably have less freedom this time in terms of decision making.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

SaniaFan, Could you please help me with what are some of the key decisions that the NDA government has made to date?
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Well whether they were good or bad but the Govt did take some bold decisions like surgical strikes, demonetization. Also some of the work done by foreign ministry has been good. My point is that whether Modi can work in ABV like manner in a coalition government is still to be seen. I have my doubts.