Preparing for Prime Minister Narendra Modi

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Preparing for Prime Minister Narendra Modi

Post by prasen9 »

Varma, have you read the article? The article compares against several developed countries and compares against several developing countries. In comparison to what they are doing, this bill takes us backwards. Do you want to debate that? Or is it that when you do not have anything to contribute wrt to the content of what I have posting, you want to shoot the messenger because that is convenient? You guys are taking Modi-worship to new levels. I would be happy to debate the issue that the article highlights.

If you have anything to say why the bill passed is a good one, I will be glad to debate that.
Last edited by prasen9 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote:
prasen9 wrote:The Modi government is one of the most corrupt we have ever had.
Any empirical evidence or real data behind this statement?
Please see this: Corruption Rank Click on max to see the entire ranking over years. In the last 21 years, this is one of the most corrupt we have ever had.

This parliament has the most number of members facing criminal charges in a decade. Criminal charges including 1/3rd of the cabinet Illustrous cabinet
Varma

Post by Varma »

prasen9 wrote:...Do you want to debate that? Or is it that when you do not have anything to contribute wrt to the content of what I have posting, you want to shoot the messenger because that is convenient? ...
Prasen, shooting the messenger was never my intention. Since it obviously sounded so (in hindsight, it definitely does seem that way, I must admit), my apologies to you for saying that. While I agree to an extent that this law might be a bad move, before taking a side I would like to see the argument (articles/analyses) leaning towards the other end too.
prasen9 wrote:...You guys are taking Modi-worship to new levels.
I do like Modi, there is no doubt about it. But let me re-assure you, I am no Modi Bhakt :D! One of my best friends' dad was a victim during Godhra riots and had to be rescued by neighbors from a serious physical assault. I was biased more from one side because of that incident and remained a strong Modi hater for a very long time. Now I have come to appreciate a few things he has been doing. I find it annoying when you single-out Modi to be the "only" bad guy in several instances. I have never seen you comment with the same vigor on any other politician, which made me throw that comment towards you in a lighter vein. That's all.

- Varma
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Ok. Then, it is my turn to apologize. Honestly, I see very little of value to allowing dark money corporate donations to political parties. That is basically legalized bribery.

I do hate our current president (in the U.S.) more than I hate Modi.

I only post anti-Modi articles here because there are a lot of pro-Modi people here. My objective is to achieve a balanced discussion. Hence, by all means, cut down the articles I post with logic and facts. Tell me why corporations should be allowed to donate money secretly to political parties, etc. if you (not meant to refer to Varma alone, but, a generic you) support Modi's actions with respect to this issue.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Varma wrote: Our country is so so forward already, the only way for us to move is backwards :p :p :p
This is the statement I want you to justify. I understand and see the three tongue-in-cheeks. However, I do not see the joke in that. The bill if passed into law will be a sad step backwards. Our country is not in the pits. It is a civilized country with some semblance of governance. Yes, it is possible to regress. You do not need to be the most developed country to be able to regress. You can regress even if you are somewhere in the middle or somewhere in the lower 1/3rd of nations. Currently, we have laws that require disclosure of political donations by corporations. Why is removing those requirements not a step backwards? I am paraphrasing the bill here. If you want, you can pick the exact definitions in the bill and argue.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

FWIW, political corruption is huge in India. However, most of it is done by suitcases of cash, offshore accounts, or through other shell company vehicles and very little of it is actually disclosed. So not sure if the bill had much practical effect. The removal of the corruption cash (demonetization) would likely have made more of an impact.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Ok, fine. If the bill will not have much impact, why are the corporates hell bent on having it. Why not let the law be as it is? Do you think these guys who want it to be passed are stupid? So, yes, while with the current law as it is things are not perfect and there are gaping holes, legalizing corporate bribery is the way to go. Using this logic, which makes no sense to me, we should go ahead and say we are not quite effective in preventing bribery, so we should make it legal. We are not that effective in prosecuting murders by the uber-rich. So, we should make it legal too. I am not saying that not having the law makes it utopia. Far from it. But, it is one small tool without which there will be more open corruption.

Demonitization as it was done with twenty-thousand work-arounds hardly has much affect. My parents said that the local black-money-stockers just used some poor people to convert their notes while giving them a minuscule commission.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Shades of Trump (assuming this report is correct): Modi on women's name in passports. It does not matter what the truth is. What I am learning (by observing the types of Trump and Modi) is that it just matters what you make the truth to be. Have a set of rabid followers. That is all you need. Then you can claim anything. Irrespective of it being a fact or not. They will eat it up. My ex had an Indian passport with her maiden name in it for over a decade. But, hey, Modi has made that happen! Maybe tomorrow Modi will single-handedly bring television to India. I am waiting for that day.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Complete beatdown in the state elections. That allied with dissent from the RBI amongst others and things don't look good for Modi so close to the next general elections.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yeah, it really does not look good for Modi and BJP. Things can change a lot in a few months, but we are just not seeing the same vigor from Modi like in the past. There just isn't that buzz about things. So, unless something changes, I don't know if BJP can turn things around by the General election.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

You can only run on words for so long. Deeds matter. You can fool people once by promising the moon but not again and again. India was ranked a few spots after #130 in the Human Development Index before Modi and it is about the same now.
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

There are other indexes where India showed huge improvements in last 4 and half years..I wish and pray for Modi for the general election..
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

What indexes? Anyway, I care about this the most. There was a business index based on perception. We have gotten more polluted, if anything.

Like I said, the PR prime minister cannot always run on PR. Of course, the BJP did a few good things. But, all governments have done a few good things.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

kaustav wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:43 pm There are other indexes where India showed huge improvements in last 4 and half years..I wish and pray for Modi for the general election..
And there has been hardly much of a drop in other indices, even if Human Development index hardly changed (but that one takes time to change anyway). While prasen is correct that there is way too much of talk from BJP and their supporters who exaggerate things, it is also tough to make a case that Modi's rule has noticeably made things worse in anything. Foreign policy has generally been quite fine, terrorist activities have somewhat drastically reduced, and the economy has not tanked, even after the risky demonetization. Demonetization was based on bad advice and it seemed not to help at all (at least in the short-term like Modi hoped, though there are those who now feel that the long-term effects are only positive). But I give him credit, because the demonetization was not done on the basis of political considerations. He tried something that may have been foolish, but at least somebody tried something for the country's sake without politics as the reason - which is so rare in India. GST was a long-term process that Modi didn't start but at least he didn't stand in the way, and probably sped it up a bit. And that seems to have been another relatively bolder action than we have seen from Congress governments. Things like swacch bharat are also good schemes, whatever one may feel about exaggerations from the Parivar. With the exception of pushing the cow-slaughter ban which I have always been dead against (for it being against Hinduism's tolerance), I hardly have complaints against this government, of the kind I have had about the Congress governments and their vote-bank politics in the past.
kaustav

Post by kaustav »

Prasen its democracy...I disapprove you like you disapprove me...No argument as its a sports forum...BJP will create havoc this time in West Bengal as well as many other states where they were weak earlier to make it up the losses...Narendra Modi has done many good things where his predecessors did not have the guts or backbones to implement...He will retain his place in 2019... People of India are behind him and will back him I am sure