Formation of Telangana

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Formation of Telangana

Post by prasen9 »

Sandeep wrote:I am for smaller states for administrative convenience. No doubt about it. But there should be a plan and basis on which states are created. It shouldn't be done on pure demand from a particular region.political party. I think my colony should be a state because, self rule will help us develop better. So based on the demand from the majority of people from my colony, should it be a state?
Yes, if you have a viable plan for this state to function. Can you guys fund your own legislature, police force, water supply, infrastructure, etc.? If you could be then, yes. As much autonomy can be pushed down should be pushed down.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I think I wrote this earlier too, but all these division of states lead to an even bigger gang of looters. Sadly, the populace brings it upon themselves in the name of misguided pride. The pot of money doesn't grow, it just springs more leaking holes. I doubt any meaningful new jobs or projects result due to entirely the formation of new states that were otherwise justified. Except new CMs etc., of course. Unity in Diversity is our biggest liability and rotting the core, the results of which will be disastrous, but not visible to the current generations. I am very sad. And, I have some first hand experience as I have seen Uttarakhand come into existence.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

Can you guys fund your own legislature, police force, water supply, infrastructure, etc.?
How does these matter if states are divided based on agitations and politics. Now you have exactly come to my point. Where was the study done on sustenance of Telangana or new AP on its own post division? Where is the scientific and economic study? Where was a study that shows new AP and Telangana will do better once divided? Where was a study which will answer existing water disputes? Where was a study that divides the existing assetts and liabilities between the two states? Where was a study about the job prospects in both the states once divided? Where was a study on educational opportunities in both the states once it is divided? Where was a study which will address a 10,000MW power shortage that Telangana will face post division. Where was a study that addresses Rs.10,000 crores budget deficit that the new AP will face once the division is completed?

What is the sanctity for promises that Congress makes, Manmohan Singh is going to be in the chair for only 2 more months!! This division is a farce, please don't support it with a general view that smaller states means better administration! Smaller states need resources too for development. A proper economic and scientific study has to be done before granting a statehood or dividing a state. In the case of Telangana, such an exercise is not carried out.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Not sure what are you arguing against here?!

If you are arguing against the way this state bifurcation was done (without proper studies or planning for future, etc) yes we agree with that point. You wouldn't find much opposition to that view - in this forum, in India, in Andhra, in Telengana. It is plain obvious, the pathetic way this was handled by congress party.

If you are arguing against the actual bifurcation itself and the justification for a legitimate need to do that, then you are simply not looking at the facts.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Sandeep, I don't this you'll ever find a just division of a state anywhere. It is always political and there will be winners and there will be losers. Politics trumps logic every time. You are obviously mad but it's because you were expecting logic to prevail, which never does. As I wrote earlier, the people of both the states jointly lose except gaining a false ego boost. Welcome to an even greater inefficiency in toto and wasted duplication of funds just because.
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Atithee wrote:Sandeep, I don't this you'll ever find a just division of a state anywhere. It is always political and there will be winners and there will be losers. Politics trumps logic every time. You are obviously mad but it's because you were expecting logic to prevail, which never does. As I wrote earlier, the people of both the states jointly lose except gaining a false ego boost. Welcome to an even greater inefficiency in toto and wasted duplication of funds just because.
:clap:

My feelings exactly......
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Incidently, is the languange the same in Telangana or rest of the Andhra Pradesh ? I am asking this because I think that was the main criteria initially when the states were formed in India. If not, is there a large cultural difference in the people from both the areas ?
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Sameer, the language is the same.......

And, there could be some cultural differences, but that could be expected from people from different parts of a state anywhere in the world....

Hyderabad is a cosmopolitan city, which hosts people from all over the country, and that is what everyone wants...

Making Hyderabad a UT would be the best option, but it's not going to happen......
suresh

Post by suresh »

prashanthm wrote:Sameer, the language is the same.......
The language is the same but the Telugu spoken in Telangana is a different dialect from the one spoken in Andhra. For instance, Andhra Telugu tends to be softer than the one in Telangana.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Thanks, Prashanth & Suresh. Different dialect is ok . It is said that in Maharashtra, dialect changes every 100 km or so even though basis language is same (Marathi).
Varma

Post by Varma »

There are almost 10-12 dialects overall in AP (Andhra + Telangana) also. Even within Telangana there are different dialects. But the major difference is that Telangana dialects have a lot of Urdu influence, which is not the case with rest of the Telugu dialects.

- Varma
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Dialects vary everywhere, but standardization helps a language to develop. When Louis XIV started to standardize French, he used the dialect of a small part of Paris (called Ile de France) and made it the standard version of French -- in a country that then had at least 60 different dialects, most of them mutually unintelligible. China has a single national language called Mandarin or Putongghua based on the dialect of Beijing, but a Mandarin speaker will be totally clueless about the Cantonese spoken in Hong Kong or Guangzhou, or the Hokkien spoken in Fujian (which is quite different again from the Hokkien now spoken in Taiwan, across the straits from Fujian). Hokkien, Cantonese, etc. are considered "dialects", but in fact are completely different languages -- albeit written in the same script. I think the various dialects of Telugu are mutually intelligible (ie, much closer than Cantonese and Mandarin). In eastern India, there is a continuum of languages/dialects -- and most Bengalis, Assamese, Oriyas and Maithili speakers can understand each other's languages with a little effort.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Varma wrote:There are almost 10-12 dialects overall in AP (Andhra + Telangana) also. Even within Telangana there are different dialects. But the major difference is that Telangana dialects have a lot of Urdu influence, which is not the case with rest of the Telugu dialects.

- Varma
Growing up in Hyderabad, we would find it amusing whenever we heard someone speak in one of the Andhra dialects. It felt very soothing - almost like music to the ears - to hear the Andhra Telugu (by my aunt and her family from Vizag).

Sameer, you've probably seen and heard Mehmood (the comedian actor) speak in Hyderabadi Hindi in some of the Hindi movies? Now compare that Hindi with shuddh Hindi spoken by someone from Lucknow :). Now, that's the difference between Telengana Telugu and Andhra Telugu.

Honestly, I can't quite accept that the division happened. I've seen and heard arguments on both sides and the only ones to gain from this division are the politicians. Does anyone honestly believe that Congress approved this division for the betterment of the state and it's people? I think not!