Aadhaar

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Re: Aadhaar

Post by kujo »

a dog pissed here... nothing to smell - move on....
Eaadhaar
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Eaadhaar »

Aadhaar card is the basic identity of every residential Indian and can be made without spending money. You can download your Aadhaar card online also known as Eaadhaar. Download your Aadhaar card from the UIDAI official website. But there are many troubles on the way which are from government side.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

The Aadhar card contains 12 pieces of unique identification -- the two irises and 10 finger-prints. It is a foolhardy form of identification. Once the information has been captured, one can download the card from the Internet, but first you need to visit a designated centre to have your identity recorded and verified. I got mine done in Calcutta in May 2015, having had to wait only about three hours in the queue.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

What made you suddenly talk about Aadhaar, PKB?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

There is no system that is foolproof. [I think PKB typed the word "foolhardy" but actually meant "foolproof". Foolhardy means reckless or rash. I don't think that is the sense he wanted to convey.] I do not know where the chinks in the system are, but, is there only one verifier? Then, if you can buy off that person, you can break the system. It seems some people have said that that can be done even with the Aadhar system. See here, etc.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

It is helping us get more transparency. Dbt in lpg is a hit. Linking with pan and subsequent removal of subsidies on rich is a success. Let's see if it can help farmers
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

All that is fine. I don't know enough to comment on that. I am trying to temper the expectation wherein people say that some technology is foolproof or expect it to be foolproof to be used. And, then when the 1% (or whatever %) error cases come out, they get disillusioned. See the luddite's objection to DRS despite it being proven to be better than the human only umpiring systems.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

prasen9 wrote:There is no system that is foolproof. [I think PKB typed the word "foolhardy" but actually meant "foolproof"].
Ah, that explains it. Typo, then. It's unlike PKB to say something negative unless the negative effect is fully demonstrated :)

I thought Aaddhar was dead after the Supreme court tried to kill it multiple times. I guess it's not dead just yet.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

In re-reading it, he may have been sarcastic. Because he says waiting "only three hours". Sorry if I imagined something else than what he was saying. We'll leave it to him to clarify and expand if he wishes.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

jayakris wrote:
prasen9 wrote:There is no system that is foolproof. [I think PKB typed the word "foolhardy" but actually meant "foolproof"].
Ah, that explains it. Typo, then. It's unlike PKB to say something negative unless the negative effect is fully demonstrated :)

I thought Aaddhar was dead after the Supreme court tried to kill it multiple times. I guess it's not dead just yet.
Dead??? Alive and kicking. But security issues still a concern. Till date benefits outdo the concerns.

As for pkb's problem in getting one. I am surprised. His fav Nilekani devised the process. I had no issue with it. I got mine and my families aadhar fairly easily. May be something to do with that particular centre.

Under present government if anything has improved then its getting these cards, pan, passport. Corruption free
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I am a big fan of the Aadhar/UID card. I must have been typing late at night when I wrote it was "foolhardy". I meant "almost as foolproof as is humanly possible" :-) . There are no systems on earth with 12 pieces of identifying information plus a photograph (as mine has; not sure if the photograph is on everyone's card, in which case there are 13 types of identifying information on each card) -- and with more than 1 billion people signed up.

The system is already being used for Direct Benefit Transfers -- for things like the kerosene subsidy. It has also been used to economize on the LPG subsidy. The benefits from the system will snowball over time.
Pranalisharma

Post by Pranalisharma »

Very Nice info this is. AADHAR card is a very useful document now these days in India. Here is a link to update AADHAR card
http://finfyi.com/aadhar-card-update/
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Pranalisharma wrote:Very Nice info this is. AADHAR card is a very useful document now these days in India. Here is a link to update AADHAR card
http://finfyi.com/aadhar-card-update/
Pranali, allow me a guess. Ankita is your close relative, right?