The debt fueled bubble and the recession that followed

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: The debt fueled bubble and the recession that followed

Post by jayakris »

You wouldn't be censored unless I asked you WTF was WTF and you got trapped into explaining it :) Jay
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Why the Fuss guys? :D
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

gbelday wrote:I do think (and it is quite obvious) that Securitization without proper regulation was the cause of all these issues but getting rid of that process is not the solution.
Securitization may well be necessary and proper regulation may also be necessary. I am a left-leaning independent but I differ with the democrats on their reliance on the ability of regulators to regulate. Time and again, regulators fall asleep at the wheel. Especially, if we are talking about a once in eighty year event. Ideally, philosophically, I prefer the (real) free market where whoever takes the profit also has to take the loss if things go belly-up. Do whatever crap you (not meant at Gautam) want but if you fail, you go bankrupt. I do understand that in this particular case there may be reason for intervention to prevent even further economic mayhem. So, maybe I would prefer regulation that tries to address issues without depending upon regulators to use their judgment actively. For example, breaking up the big banks and not letting big banks to go beyond a particular % of the economy or some other simple to implement structural (not used in any technical sense) limit would be preferable in my eyes.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

That was a question I always wanted to ask. How come it is taking this long for capitalism and free-market to figure out that something needs to be done about companies and banks getting too big. There just has to be a mechanism to prevent that in free market. At least there has to be a way that prevents TBTF from happening, without touching the fundamental aspects of free-market capitalism...

I don't know if actively breaking up companies and banks is a way, but if we are in a cunch, that must be done too.

Jay
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote:There just has to be a mechanism to prevent that in free market. At least there has to be a way that prevents TBTF from happening, without touching the fundamental aspects of free-market capitalism...
That mechanism is called legislating. But, when the legislature is but a slave of the industry and have been duly bought and paid for, then the so called-democratic legislations do not happen as they should. Who will bell the cat?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

So regulation through legislation rather than through regulators, who would be asleep atthe wheel, is what we want? (Sorry to ask all these silly questions -- I am just trying to develop my own novice's system of postulates on this matter) .. Jay
Peter

Post by Peter »

Jay, The free market is dead. TBTF banks run Washington. The Fed has distorted every market out there.

More words: HFT, Front running, POMO. This is how the big banks are making money. If their assets were marked to market they would all be insolvent. Remember the line, this is not a liquidity crisis. It is a solvency crisis.

Meanwhile the folks who did the right thing (saved money, lived under their means) are getting reamed. Bernanke has made it clear that it will be ZIRP indefinitely. And his steps will destroy the currency. The academic is trapped in his ivory tower.

Here is a handy reference: LMGTFY :)

Gautam, Maybe you can explain the wall street (and government) mindset of heads we win, tails you pay ?

Best wishes to everyone,
Peter
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote:So regulation through legislation rather than through regulators, who would be asleep atthe wheel, is what we want? (Sorry to ask all these silly questions -- I am just trying to develop my own novice's system of postulates on this matter) .. Jay
Jay, that is my personal position. As you know I am no expert and do not understand things seriously enough to have an expert opinion, but, from a high level that seems what I would support. Regulation can be via legislation that binds the government to do things or via executive decisions in the administrative branch either from the president or from the particular bodies like SEC, etc. Any regulation has to be implemented and a lot of leeway remains from what is written and how strictly it is implemented. I would like simple solutions like a bar on the max size of a bank that seems to me to be regulation that can be implemented. But, I have no clue about whether that will actually make things better or worse.

The financial industry seems to be saying that these things happen once in 70-80 years, just eat it. It may be that the overall benefit of low regulation with a once in a century catastrophe maybe better than stunting growth throughout and not having the benefits but not the catastrophic fall either.

I am too naive to determine which is correct and I am too skeptical of everybody to believe anybody. Except perhaps non-partisan thinktanks or non-partisan academics with lots of data and supporting logic and analysis. Maybe some such studies will come out and the community will converge towards what is the right solution.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Quantitative Easing - part II Halloween edition

Post by kujo »

Quantitative Easing - part II Halloween edition
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/63591216/

Free money everyone! yipee!!

It is not over by any stretch of imagination. After all, all good things come in threes right?! QE Trilogy anyone?. Gold is your safe bet.

cheers
kujo
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Print baby print :)
Peter

Post by Peter »

Commodities performance over the past 12 months.

Look at what the genuine masters have done to us. Ben has apparently conquered deflation. Except in wages and the ponzi housing market.

How much longer before Ben and Tim get the perp walk?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Peter wrote: How much longer before Ben and Tim get the perp walk?
Peter-bhai, seems you have not learned your lessons well. From whom? From those that are already bought and sold several times by industry? Who will bell the cat? I do not know about Ben Bernanke, but, Tim Geithner has been generally useless. Average at best in performance and dangerous in his opposition to Elizabeth Warren.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Prasen, i do realize that Ben and Tim are actually serving their masters. But there is new awareness of the crooks they are. Even Bill Gross (the biggest bond manager in the world) called QE2 to be the biggest ponzi scheme ever.

Ron Paul to introduce new legislation to end the Fed.

And yes, Ron Paul is now chairman of the monetary policy sub committee. Watch Ben squirm and lie through everything.

i am calling bullshit on the Fed panderers at this forum. You know who you are.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Hart-Zingales on improving the reform law: http://www.city-journal.org/2010/eon1123ohlz.html