First TV Ad of an Indian product I saw in the US -- Mahindra Tractors!

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

First TV Ad of an Indian product I saw in the US -- Mahindra Tractors!

Post by jayakris »

OK, let me post some good stuff for my 10,000th post, rather than bicker about all the Davis Cup stuff ...

I had a pleasant surprise the other day in Washington DC when I saw a nice 20 second TV Ad about Mahindra Tractors.   The first Indian product I have seen advertized here.   Very nice Ad that simply talked about why Mahindra is now known for quality in the tractor business.

It turns out that Mahindra tractors have really made a big dent in the tractor world in rural America.

Check out some of these tractor retailer websites -
http://www.threewaytractor.com/
http://www.diamondbtractors.com/
http://www.joesservices.com/
http://www.artectractor.com/

Check out this forum where farmer hillbillies are discussing Mahindra and giving them a bg thumbs up!
http://www.kountrylife.com/forum/messages/48061.html

And here is the motherload Tractor discussion site, where they have a lot of stuff on every tractor -- and again all kinds of kudos for Mahindra
http://www.tractorbynet.com/
(there is a Mahindra ad video on the front page which is very nice!)

There is almost a cult following for Mahindra now.  John Deere is of course the largest dealer.  They are known for the "Green" color, which is countered by the beautiful bright red of Mahindra (basically from their tie up with Mitsubishi).  The tractor hjillbillies idenitify "Red" with quality now, as opposed to John Deer, which is like the general motors of tractors (big, bad, ugly :)) ...

How about that? ... Who woulda thunk!

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: First TV Ad of an Indian product I saw in the US -- Mahindra Tractors!

Post by gbelday »

I first read a story in NY times about 2 year ago.  I'll try to dig up that article (I had put it in this forum then).
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

jayakris wrote: OK, let me post some good stuff for my 10,000th post, rather than bicker about all the Davis Cup stuff ...

I had a pleasant surprise the other day in Washington DC when I saw a nice 20 second TV Ad about Mahindra Tractors. . .  

How about that? ... Who woulda thunk!

Jay
Jay,

Congratulations on reaching the 10,000 milestone once again, but you were supposed to post the 10,000th post on Feb 15, 2007. 

If you travel on one of the turnpikes in Oklahoma, you can see a huge billboard of Mahindra tractors.  I first noticed it a few years back and was kind of surprised to see it.  BTW, there are small towns named Delhi and Agra in Oklahoma.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Wonderful stuff (and congratulations, Jay, for -- once again -- hitting the 10,000-post milestone! I recall you were also the only to reach it before Jay revamped the site...). Anand Mahindra has really done wonders for the group. I knew that Mahindra were already #4 in US tractor sales a couple of years ago, but it's remarkable that they are seen as synonymous with quality (a la Japan's cars). Kotak Mahindra is another success story, though Mahindras have greatly reduced their stake in that superb, emerging financial group.

Here in Malaysia, Mahindra's SUVs (Scorpio, Bolero, etc.) are gaining popularity. (I've met the personable Anand Mahindra several times at CII or embassy functions in Singapore, and once mentioned to him that I had recently purchased a Bolero for my tea estate; he immediately asked "Assam or Dooars?" I was most impressed he knew about the Dooars -- the area in north Bengal that produces Assam-type CTC tea, as opposed to Darjeeling's distinctly flavoured orthodox tea; all those years of Willys Jeep sales have probably contributed to his knowledge of the various markets, but I was impressed that he knew about the Dooars!). As you drive into Kuala Lumpur via the North-South Expressway, you pass the Mahindra dealership right near the centre of town.

Years ago (1993) when I first visited Malaysia (from Philadelphia), I felt rather proud to see a large sign near the central business area of KL saying "Tata welcomes you to Kuala Lumpur". Tata trucks were then ubiquitous on the highways of Malaysia. They are much less visible now (particularly new ones  :() but of course the Tatas have a presence in steel in this region (through the purchase of Singapore's Natsteel, which has manufacturing operations in Malaysia, Philippines, and elsewhere in SE Asia).
bhagatghavri

Re: First TV Ad of an Indian product I saw in the US -- Mahi

Post by bhagatghavri »

Congrats you..............we all know that Mahindra Tractors is very well reputed name in Tractors company.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

They had once brought out an ad where a lady riding a Mahindra tractor tells her husband - "My Dear John, I just found someone else". It was a brilliant way of taking a dig at the market leader John Deere.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^ That does sound like a really nice ad.

Jay

PS: No, I didn't become bhagatghavri... though my post looks awfully useless like his.
Tolamu

Post by Tolamu »

No, I didn't become bhagatghavri... though my post looks awfully useless like his.
After the first warning, it is very clever to choose a thread started by our mod along with many others.
In my humble opinion, this Bhagatghavri is a mischievous kid playing naughty, harmless but very annoying pranks just like in facebook. The silver lining is that in days where few of our players are active and there are nothing to post, it is some bland, tasteless entertainment. When I open the unread threads page, if I find BG's name against it, I don't read it. But it has some other's name, curiosity takes over and loses some valuable time plus some kb from my internet-balance.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Tolamu wrote: When I open the unread threads page, if I find BG's name against it, I don't read it. But it has some other's name, curiosity takes over and loses some valuable time plus some kb from my internet-balance.
And that is precisely the situation you want to avoid. why?

Because, BG might have pissed on a thread, after an interesting post was made by another user.
You would simply look at the unread threads, see BG's stink as the last one and would miss that prior interesting post!!