Indians : America's new immigrant entrepreneurs

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
puneets
Please enter the middle number: 1

Indians : America's new immigrant entrepreneurs

Post by puneets »

I came across this article today.
http://www.indolink.com/displayArticleS ... 0307105012

It's an interesting read. Here's the full report
http://memp.pratt.duke.edu/downloads/am ... eneurs.pdf

Some findings:
• At least one key founder in 25.3% of the engineering and technology companies started in the U.S. from 1995 to 2005 was foreign-born, with 26% of all immigrant-founded companies having Indian founders.

• Indians have founded more engineering and technology companies in the US in the past decade than immigrants from the U.K., China, Taiwan and Japan combined.

• Nationwide, the immigrant-founded companies produced $52 billion in sales and employed 450,000 workers in 2005.

• States with an above-average rate of immigrant-founded companies include California (39%), New Jersey (38%), Georgia (30%), and Massachusetts (29%). Below average includes Washington (11%), Ohio (14%), North Carolina (14%) and Texas (18%). Indian immigrant-founders were well represented in California, Florida, Texas, and New Jersey

• Indian and U.K. entrepreneurs tend to be dispersed around the country, with Indians having sizable concentrations in California and New Jersey and the British in California and Georgia. Chinese and Taiwanese entrepreneurs strongly favor California with 49% of Chinese and 81% of Taiwanese companies located there.

Here are some charts and graphs from the pdf report that I cited above:

Last edited by puneets on Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omkara

Re: Indians : America's new immigrant entrepreneurs

Post by Omkara »

Does anyone know location of Puneets ? He just vanished from the forum.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Not sure about entrepreneurship but Indians have taken over a lot of CEO positions in the 13 years since the original post (including the local CEO of the company I work at).

Very interesting, I guess we Indians are good at navigating politics without easily making enemies.

I haven't seen too much entrepreneurship though.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Omkara wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:57 pm Does anyone know location of Puneets ? He just vanished from the forum.
I believe he still lives in New Jersey. We last communicated when the good doctor passed away -- and the following year (so 11 years ago). I've just messaged him on FB...
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

PKBasu wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:14 pm
Omkara wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:57 pm Does anyone know location of Puneets ? He just vanished from the forum.
I believe he still lives in New Jersey. We last communicated when the good doctor passed away -- and the following year (so 11 years ago). I've just messaged him on FB...
Any reply?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, I re-established contact with him. Puneet said, coincidentally, he had just been talking to a friend about how an ATP-ranked player who had played at Wimbledon stayed with him once to play the Champaign Challenger. I requested him to come back here and post occasionally...
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

That's good to hear.