Indo-US nuclear deal and its implications

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indo-US nuclear deal and its implications

Post by ajay »

Just an hour back I heard PKB and saw his picture on Zee TV Hindi news commenting on Indo-US Nuclear pact. It was nice to see his name flashing on the TV screen and it dawned on me only after a little while that this famous personality on TV is is none other but out great PKB! :D

PS: By the way I don't even remember what did he say, but never mind, I heard his voice.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Please see my blog here: http://indiabanao.org/component/option, ... mid,/p,70/

I would welcome any comments that any of you choose to make on that website, or on my other blog site: http://prasenjitkbasu.blogspot.com/2010 ... -time.html
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Sure PKB ... Thanks for sharing this, very much luv to read ur knowledgable thoughts.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

As I wrote in the comments section of the blog - "Great piece, PKB. I wish a lot of people in India, especially the "symbolism-starved" politicians, would read your analyses. I hardly find anybody else from India (well, I guess it helps that you are not based *in* India!) writing like you do - with such insightful and (relatively) unbiased big picture views on these things, enhanced by an uncanny ability to relate economic and strategic realities with historical evidences that are often forgotten in India .. Keep such blogs coming!" .... Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Thanks for your kind comment, Jay!

I find it is pretty difficult to get a meaningful audience for these blogs, so it's always nice to get a few extra comments...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

PKBasu wrote:Ashish, perhaps I should spell out for you why we don't need to emulate Cuba, Syria and Venezuela.

Cuba has arguably developed in the social spheres under Castro, with one of the best health-care systems in the world, and absolute poverty (particularly among the blacks) largely eliminated. But Cuba's economy has effectively been stagnant for the past two decades at least -- partly because it became a classic two-commodity economy (producing sugar, plus cigars) that was dependent on the Soviet Union for imports of virtually everything else (machinery, arms, intermediate and capital goods, oil, etc.) and it has been in desperate straits over the past 15 years. The lack of democracy of course led to a large part of the population (perhaps a fifth or more) emigrating to the US, the clearest sign that the local populace has given up hope. Cuba is hopelessly isolated, and it makes little sense for India to attempt to emulate Castro (just as it would make absolutely no sense for India or anybody else to emulate the regime in Burma / Myanmar).
What PKB did not write about is that in Cuba you cannot form a company and employ people (not suggesting that he did not know about that). That is perhaps about to change. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/2 ... 38804.html Hope.